What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

I learned that there was a football game. Most of things that went wrong were just football. The coaching at the end of both halves was abysmal. Frost-like unawareness of the situation. What happened to”if we die, we die”? This game was ours to win, and the staff safetied-up. There is a time to be aggressive, and it wasn’t it against Maryland- but going for the win on the road was. I was at the game, home field played a huge part of the win in OT 

any info on 93?  He was helped off the field after what appeared to be a concussion in the 2nd half. Looked scary to me, he was trying to walk forward but could only stagger sideways. 

Madison is a great CFB town. I haven’t been to many road games at BIG schools, but I imagine there are so much better than SEC towns. For football anyway. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I am hoping what the TEAM LEARNED is that they will have a chance on Friday to do the following:

(1) Beat a ranked team, which they have not done in forever

(2) Become Bowl eligible for the first time since 2016

(3) Beat douchbags Iowa

(4) Win the heroes trophy

(5) Avoid ending the season with yet another losing record

if that is not motivation enough for them to play their tails off, then they will never have the right motivation. That goes for the coaches as well since their decisions have been suspect at many instances this season.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

We should have had at least another minute to work with - over two minutes total - from Wisconsin's 20 yard line.  But we pissed it away because we didn't get plays in fast enough.  AND WE DIDN'T USE ANY OF OUR TIMEOUTS UNTIL AFTER WE HAD GIVEN UP AND DECIDED TO PLAY FOR THE FIELD GOAL.

We were fine at the point where we were on their 26 yard line with 1st & 10. 1:35 left, three time outs. Just seems obvious at this point that coach didn't want them to get the ball back. There's just no way he's so dumb that he wouldn't have thought to call a timeout there at all, just no way.

Purdy was basically on fire in this one (at least compared to anything we've seen from our other QB's this season), so I don't think there was any reason to be afraid of having the ball in overtime. But it just wasn't smart to not call the timeout after the 1st down run where we get to their 18 yard line with something like 1:25 left.

Most teams would want to throw on that down & distance situation because it's 2nd & 2. But again, can we even do anything like "most teams" given how we've turned the ball over this year?

That's kind of what I was saying in my other post: if we hadn't picked up some yardage on the ground to even get us into the red zone on that last drive and had called pass plays resulting in incompletions, this board loses its mind.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

10 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Honestly, I enjoyed the game last night. The losses this year are purely about not having overall talent needed, whereas the years past, it was a whole Lotta things missing 

The team that showed up last night, is a 7-4 team (minimum)

Well hopefully we’ll see more urgency from this staff to address the talent deficiency this offseason. We didn’t last year. 

We talk about Rhule and crew’s talent evaluation as a strength , but frankly the talent evaluation at QB has been horrid. This staff chose to chase off CT for Sims. It chose to play Sims and then HH over Purdy for most of the season. It also chose to not address the OL - Rhule “liked the guys we have”. We’re reaping the effects of the staff’s awful decisions from last offseason.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Well hopefully we’ll see more urgency from this staff to address the talent deficiency this offseason. We didn’t last year. 

We talk about Rhule and crew’s talent evaluation as a strength , but frankly the talent evaluation at QB has been horrid. This staff chose to chase off CT for Sims. It chose to play Sims and then HH over Purdy for most of the season. It also chose to not address the OL - Rhule “liked the guys we have”. We’re reaping the effects of the staff’s awful decisions from last offseason.

100% fair point...I just see at as a situation where they took a, for the most part, "let's see what we got" approach. 

If all of us are being honest, if you told us at the beginning of the seasono with 4 games to go, we would be one win away from bowl eligibilty...95% of us would have said, "sweet."

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Honestly, I enjoyed the game last night. The losses this year are purely about not having overall talent needed, whereas the years past, it was a whole Lotta things missing 

The team that showed up last night, is a 7-4 team (minimum)

Rhule and co seem to be regressing to Frost-like clock management. Early in the  season I appreciated Rhule for being the adult in the room and making sound in-game decisions. Now he cost us at least one game, maybe two. 

but I enjoyed the game- I thought we played well against a  team that is our mirror twin. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Rhule and co seem to be regressing to Frost-like clock management. Early in the  season I appreciated Rhule for being the adult in the room and making sound in-game decisions. Now he cost us at least one game, maybe two. 

but I enjoyed the game- I thought we played well against a  team that is our mirror twin. 

Yeah, last two games were not pretty (clock management)...don't really have a "well, hold on a minute" thought on it. But, when you have the turnovers monster on your back all season, I can kinda understand the "let's make sure we don't f#&%nthis up and at least get this" thought process...with that said, last night was horrible use of timeouts and intent on offense.

Couple of quick questions.

1) @Mavric Had posted James "Sackman" Williams would not play last night to preserve his RS.  Selfishly, I really wanted  him to play.  Thoughts from the board, would he have made a difference?  I think he could have helped on those third downs to have gotten pressure on Mordecai.  4 tackles and 2 sacks in 3 games.

2) Any word on Sanford or other injuries?  Sanford has turned into a great asset.  Wish he had another year.