We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

1 hour ago, presidentjlh said:

Would I watch? Probably. Because I’m insane. But while I get that point about most of the bowls not mattering because national title is out of the question, I only buy that to a degree. I mean if that were the case, why bother with any bowl outside the playoffs?

58 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

Winning is fun. Actually being competitive is fun too. Terrible football is not fun.

I would watch two 1-5 teams play if it was all that was on. Because I'm a college football fan.

If you're only watching because your team is winning, that's a you problem.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Just now, WWG1_we_GBR said:

games are still being played. there aren't 82 teams yet to my knowledge. But there are 2 teams that aren't "eligible" for the absurd reason that they moved UP from FCS to FBS that magically become eligible and take the first 2 spots if not enough teams get to mediocre. Sorry, I don't have a link for you. We aren't getting a bid - that is my belief.

No worries.  I know JMU is one. that moved up and has made some waves about a bowl game.    Unsure of the other. What I hate with that is that is known moving up.  No post season play year 1.   App St faced the same thing.  No complaints from them.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would watch two 1-5 teams play if it was all that was on. Because I'm a college football fan.

Same.  I'll save the schedule and choose games around work and family.  I enjoy bowl season a WHOLE LOT MORE when NU plays, but I still like to watch them.  This season went by way too fast for me. I like to watch the FCS play offs as well.  Good football.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

No worries.  I know JMU is one. that moved up and has made some waves about a bowl game.    Unsure of the other. What I hate with that is that is known moving up.  No post season play year 1.   App St faced the same thing.  No complaints from them.  

My point was again, opinion. Why a 1 year bowl ineligibility when moving up? It's dumb. Jackson St is 11-1. the other is Georgia Southern I think. Georgia directional in any event. They are 6-6, so their case is weak. But, I read somewhere that they lose the ineligibility year 1 in the event there are spots - which seems to punctuate my point completely. Move up to a tougher place...no ban needed? The annual discussion with mediocre teams suggests to me there are too many bowl games.

2 minutes ago, WWG1_we_GBR said:

My point was again, opinion. Why a 1 year bowl ineligibility when moving up? It's dumb. Jackson St is 11-1. the other is Georgia Southern I think. Georgia directional in any event. They are 6-6, so their case is weak. But, I read somewhere that they lose the ineligibility year 1 in the event there are spots - which seems to punctuate my point completely. Move up to a tougher place...no ban needed? The annual discussion with mediocre teams suggests to me there are too many bowl games.

Way too many bowls.  We got in previously at 5-7 under Riley IIRC.  Not even enough .500 teams to fill them all.  BUT, I don't mind as I like to watch CFB.  Hate when the season is over.  Don't really watch any other sports as much.

1 hour ago, presidentjlh said:

I think that’s not fair. I get the thinking, but a bowl is a privilege, and I don’t think losing teams should have such a privilege. Six wins is all it takes now, and if you can’t even achieve that, you don’t deserve a bowl.

I dont care who deserves what. If we won 0 games this year and were offered free extra practices I would take them and not even ask why.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Appears to be 5 spots left. Winner of Army-Navy next week gets in.  Cal is up 3-0 over UCLA. Colorado State can get in with a win over Hawaii. South Carolina lost, so they're out. Same with Washington State. Etc. etc. James Madison And Jacksonville State get "priority bids" if fewer than 82 teams are eligible. That leaves 3 spots. Minnesota leads APR. Mississippi State is 2. That is as far as I have capacity to cipher through. 

If we are 6+ in APR, we aren't gonna sneak in.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, lo country said:

All 41 bowls are filled with 6 win teams?  Link?

I count 42 counting the playoffs.

I count 80 6-win teams right now.  Cal and Colorado State are still playing and have five wins.  

So .... that's a lot of counting on my part but I see at least two 5-win teams being in.

But others claimed we were a long ways down that list.

Edit: @WWG1_we_GBR noted Army and Navy still to play.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I count 42 counting the playoffs.

I count 80 6-win teams right now.  Cal and Colorado State are still playing and have five wins.  

So .... that's a lot of counting on my part but I see at least two 5-win teams being in.

But others claimed we were a long ways down that list.

Edit: @WWG1_we_GBR noted Army and Navy still to play.

I just saw USF won to hit 6 wins. So that seems to check out with the army/navy game next week and Colo St and Cal games in play. Plus the 2 former FCS teams waiting...no more spots no matter how you slice it

• TBH 1
39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Speaking of fun. Anyone watch IA State/K State in 3 inches of snow? Almost 1000 yards of offense, 70 yard TDs left and right.  Great game.

The game was excellent, the Iron Bowl might have been the craziest finish I've seen. What an awesome day of college football.

• Plus1 2