2024 Spring Game - April 27

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the early signing day has come and gone I thought it would be fun to mention some players we are looking forward to watching in the spring game. List five players (current and early enrollees) you are keeping an eye on during the spring game. Please don't include Raiola. He is low hanging fruit for this. Plenty of other threads to discuss DR. 

1) Demitrius Bell - (rFR) Bell has been mentioned multiple times by the coaches for the work he put in this past year on the scout team. The rumor has been he was academically inelibgle this past year. Assuming he is good to go now, I think he has the talent to make a difference next year.

2) Dylan Rogers (rFR) Losing Reimer and Henrich in the middle there are snaps to be taken. Can Rogers be that thumper in the middle against run heavy teams? Listed at 235. Hoping to see him in the rotation this year. 

3) Jeremiah Charles (rFR) Rhule has brought up Charles unsolicited multiple times. Super athlete. Played in the final two games of 2023.

4) Sam Sledge (rFR) - Can he win a guard job?

5) James Williams rSO) - How much weight can he put on? Could be a huge piece of our pass rush in 2024. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I want to see our young receivers like Coleman, Loyde, Doss, Charles.  They have one year under their belt to know what they need to work on in the off season.  And....now they will have actual QBs throwing to them.  They were open a lot last year but our QBs didn't get them the ball.  Can they run better routes, know the position better and catch balls that are thrown from these QBs?

11 minutes ago, Akees said:

Now that the early signing day has come and gone I thought it would be fun to mention some players we are looking forward to watching in the spring game. List five players (current and early enrollees) you are keeping an eye on during the spring game. Please don't include Raiola. He is low hanging fruit for this. Plenty of other threads to discuss DR. 

1) Demitrius Bell - (rFR) Bell has been mentioned multiple times by the coaches for the work he put in this past year on the scout team. The rumor has been he was academically inelibgle this past year. Assuming he is good to go now, I think he has the talent to make a difference next year.

2) Dylan Rogers (rFR) Losing Reimer and Henrich in the middle there are snaps to be taken. Can Rogers be that thumper in the middle against run heavy teams? Listed at 235. Hoping to see him in the rotation this year. 

3) Jeremiah Charles (rFR) Rhule has brought up Charles unsolicited multiple times. Super athlete. Played in the final two games of 2023.

4) Sam Sledge (rFR) - Can he win a guard job?

5) James Williams rSO) - How much weight can he put on? Could be a huge piece of our pass rush in 2024. 

I am curious to see how guys like Jeremiah Charles & Brice Turner develop. They are talented track guys but up to this point are not very good football players quite yet. And with a lot of the guys coming in I wonder if they get passed up. Wonder if we never employed Wager if they would’ve gotten offered. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I want to see our young receivers like Coleman, Loyde, Doss, Charles.  They have one year under their belt to know what they need to work on in the off season.  And....now they will have actual QBs throwing to them.  They were open a lot last year but our QBs didn't get them the ball.  Can they run better routes, know the position better and catch balls that are thrown from these QBs?

Agree with your post. However, Charles has been moved to DB. 

I like your list - Obviously it's Raiola and Kaelin, but beyond them:

1. Jeremiah Charles - As you mentioned, he is brought up unsolicited by Rhule a ton. Probably not ready to start this year, but potentially ready to make a splash in the spring.
  2. Kwinten Ives - Another guy Rhule brings up a lot, and there will be plenty of carries available in the spring with Rahmir/Ervin probably still recovering.
  3. Ru'Quan Buckley - Regarding that open Guard spot, I'm interested to see how he does. Normally a position change this late in your career isn't a great sign, but it's interesting to see a guy who was actually contributing on the DL move - I have to think he's got a shot at Guard or he'd be in the portal.
  4. Dylan Rogers - He will need to play a fair amount, and a lot if any of Wright/Gbayor/Bullock miss time. I like the size at LB.
  5. Jacory Barney - Interested in all of the early enrollees, but I think he fits a role we don't have. We need playmakers, he's a playmaker.

Re: Bell, I hadn't heard the academic thing but that would make sense. The coaches also said he came in at 157 lbs which made it tough to put him out there, but was up to 190+ by the end of the year so I expect him to push for playing time moving forward.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I like your list - Obviously it's Raiola and Kaelin, but beyond them:

1. Jeremiah Charles - As you mentioned, he is brought up unsolicited by Rhule a ton. Probably not ready to start this year, but potentially ready to make a splash in the spring.
  2. Kwinten Ives - Another guy Rhule brings up a lot, and there will be plenty of carries available in the spring with Rahmir/Ervin probably still recovering.
  3. Ru'Quan Buckley - Regarding that open Guard spot, I'm interested to see how he does. Normally a position change this late in your career isn't a great sign, but it's interesting to see a guy who was actually contributing on the DL move - I have to think he's got a shot at Guard or he'd be in the portal.
  4. Dylan Rogers - He will need to play a fair amount, and a lot if any of Wright/Gbayor/Bullock miss time. I like the size at LB.
  5. Jacory Barney - Interested in all of the early enrollees, but I think he fits a role we don't have. We need playmakers, he's a playmaker.

Re: Bell, I hadn't heard the academic thing but that would make sense. The coaches also said he came in at 157 lbs which made it tough to put him out there, but was up to 190+ by the end of the year so I expect him to push for playing time moving forward.

I almost included Buckley in mine as well. One thing to note, some schools recruited him for offensive line out of high school. 

• 1 month later...

Just going to add that I watch a handful of spring games, random teams.

The 2 that stand out to me was 2021 Michigan State.  Overcast and so painfully boring.   Thought they sucked.  Like really really bad.  I couldn't see them winning 3 games.  It was an awful spring game.

But they ended up going 11-2 that year.  I'll never forget it.

And 2022 Washington.  Another overcast gloomy spring game.  It was also bad and incredibly boring.  I didn't see talent And they were coming off a 4-8 year.  

They went 11-2.  I'll never forget it.

But I've also seen some really good Spring Games and got on the wagon and felt the vibes........Couldn't wait to bet them.... and those teams barely won 6 or 7 games.

So you never really know.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

11am?  Good lord, you have complete and total control over the date and time you you make it 11am?

Make it 1pm, help out the fans, the tailgaters, the bars the restaurants.  

The tweet said "softball and baseball play that day"  guessing that plays a role.

7 minutes ago, admo said:

Just going to add that I watch a handful of spring games, random teams.

The 2 that stand out to me was 2021 Michigan State.  Overcast and so painfully boring.   Thought they sucked.  Like really really bad.  I couldn't see them winning 3 games.  It was an awful spring game.

But they ended up going 11-2 that year.  I'll never forget it.

And 2022 Washington.  Another overcast gloomy spring game.  It was also bad and incredibly boring.  I didn't see talent And they were coming off a 4-8 year.  

They went 11-2.  I'll never forget it.

But I've also seen some really good Spring Games and got on the wagon and felt the vibes........Couldn't wait to bet them.... and those teams barely won 6 or 7 games.

So you never really know.  

Spring games are your team versus....your team.  Nothing to be learned from that, shouldn't read into it ever. Won't know what you've got until the games count.

• Haha 1