Rhule Post Season Presser

Red Five

Maybe I'm wrong but Rhule or anyone on the Athletic staff is not supposed to have ANY input in how the NIL money is being spent.  

I'm not sure how it all works, and to me there has to be some discussion, but they can't just go. "We want <insert QB here> go get em"

• TBH 1

11 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Focus NIL $ on negative plays...you fumble/throw a pick..that is a cut in $. Missed tackle, cut in $..drop a pass, miss a block, etc..focus it on plays that prevent you from winning...not sure how you do that, but it would be nice.

Yeah... no chance that happens, but nice in theory. 

What's frustrating is that many fans think it is as simple as just throwing money at the recruits/kids and boom we win 10+ games. I would argue that development of talent and focused practice of repetition are the keys to success. Not saying the donors are irrelevant by any means, but that money is not what has stopped us from being a winning program recently. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Focus NIL $ on negative plays...you fumble/throw a pick..that is a cut in $. Missed tackle, cut in $..drop a pass, miss a block, etc..focus it on plays that prevent you from winning...not sure how you do that, but it would be nice.

Is that how it works at your job?

• Fire 1
  • TBH 4
41 minutes ago, soup said:

Maybe I'm wrong but Rhule or anyone on the Athletic staff is not supposed to have ANY input in how the NIL money is being spent.  

I'm not sure how it all works, and to me there has to be some discussion, but they can't just go. "We want <insert QB here> go get em"

They are not "supposed to" but face it, in the past they were "not supposed to" pay players under the table but we know it was done.

It basically works like this...you have a dude at the NIL collective who is "friends" with the staff, the staff says "We have this guy and he wants to be a Husker, so make sure it happens" and then the NIL guys try to make it happen.

That is assuming there is a good relationship between your NIL dude and the staff.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is that how it works at your job?

If it’s truly a “job” then maybe there should be employment contracts or labor regulations in effect.

Fact is it isn’t a “job” and there are scarcely any rules other than the team they’re “working” for has to be completely hands off on the compensation side. So I don’t think comparing this situation to a normal job is applicable.

36 minutes ago, GSG said:

Kinda wish Huskerboard worked like that :lol:

Bring back the eye roll! Haha.

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Fact is it isn’t a “job” and there are scarcely any rules other than the team they’re “working” for has to be completely hands off on the compensation side. So I don’t think comparing this situation to a normal job is applicable.

Oh I agree with that. Just pointing out that it doesn't typically work like that in our free market job society we live in. Now, giving bonuses for doing well? Hell yeah. I could see that maybe, and that could be some good incentive. Probably not even within the "rules" (and we all know there aren't even any rules really anyway).

Coaching contracts should work like that but they don't.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yeah... no chance that happens, but nice in theory. 

What's frustrating is that many fans think it is as simple as just throwing money at the recruits/kids and boom we win 10+ games. I would argue that development of talent and focused practice of repetition are the keys to success. Not saying the donors are irrelevant by any means, but that money is not what has stopped us from being a winning program recently. 

I mean to be fair had we had a Good to elite QB on roster this year we would possibly been a 9-10 win team. 

lol But yes I get what your says. I wish it worked that way. 

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Oh I agree with that. Just pointing out that it doesn't typically work like that in our free market job society we live in. Now, giving bonuses for doing well? Hell yeah. I could see that maybe, and that could be some good incentive. Probably not even within the "rules" (and we all know there aren't even any rules really anyway).

I agree that punishing clauses is not the way to go. But rather, like you pointed out, structure the deals with incentives (or reverse punishment). Throw fewer than 1 pick a game = extra pay. Or a certain percentage of TDs to INTs etc. It could be setup in a positive fashion while still trying to attain the same goal.

Thing is they are being paid by boosters, companies, etc. for their name, image or likeness and not on field performance. But I see no reason the people paying the bill couldn’t put such stipulations on it. Just not quite sure too many of the higher dollar guys would go for it. Another school would offer no stipulations so they’d just go there instead. The whole situation is a turd sandwich.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, soup said:

If you don't think that happens, then your naive.  The NIL people know EXACTLY who the coach wants them to go after.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If it’s truly a “job” then maybe there should be employment contracts or labor regulations in effect.

It's one heck of a lot more like a "job" now than it used to be.

43 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I mean to be fair had we had a Good to elite QB on roster this year we would possibly been a 9-10 win team. 

lol But yes I get what your says. I wish it worked that way. 

Sure, but we threw money at Sims who was arguably considered a potential NFL prospect (at the time), Wisconsin threw it at Mordecai, Card at Purdue, etc. You can throw money at kids until you're blue in the face, however at the core, success comes down to development and execution. 

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Sure, but we threw money at Sims who was arguably considered a potential NFL prospect (at the time), Wisconsin threw it at Mordecai, Card at Purdue, etc. You can throw money at kids until you're blue in the face, however at the core, success comes down to development and execution. 

Im not disagreeing with you at all.  s#!t we prob win 9 games with Card or Mordecai at Qb.  Both were way more serviceable passing then what we had.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

The bolded please.  

• Plus1 1

The issue with going old school is that you want an already pretty good QB wanting to play for NU.  However, and I don't keep up with the latest and greatest with recruits, but I don't see many four/five star QBs who are wanting to come to Nebraska.   NU certainly has money to spend.  Winning cures all.  It's possible if they spend now and find success, that will attract future recruits.   Could we even trust Rhule with finding a QB in the portal after the Sims fiasco?