2023 - Football Playoff - Poll

TGHusker

2023 Playoff  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First off - do you agree with the committee?  I was disappointed but not surprised by the snub FSU received and the boast Bama received.

It seems most of it had to do with strength of schedule but I also think a lot of it is tied to the politics of SEC/ESPN tie in.  

Quote: Alabama had the No. 5 strength of schedule this year, according to ESPN's metrics, while Florida State's came in at No. 55. Corrigan said that was one of the biggest pieces of the conversation. “It's a factor, and it's part of our protocol as we look at it,” Corrigan said on a post-reveal teleconference.

I know part of Nebraska's appeal to the coach's poll in 1997 was as Scott Frost said at the time (paraphrased) " Who would the coaches rather play - Michigan or Nebraska?"

Bama:  Struggled and really was lucky to beat Alburn - yes preparedness makes its own luck.  Bama was beaten by Texas early.

FSU:  Undefeated - they did all that was asked of them (as Tom said after the 1997 Orange Bowl victory) but they lost their QB.   Some would argue that they aren't the same team that won most of those games.  Yet they overcame and won in spite of that huge obstacle. 

Me: FSU's whole body of work should have been considered.  They did all that was asked of them and persevered and their D rose up to the challenge.  Maybe it is Bama and SEC fatigue, but I think it is grossly unfair that FSU was left out of the mix.  I'm no FSU fan - I look forward to the day that Nebraska plays FSU in the playoffs & gets to revenge the 1993 NCG when the refs stole the win from Nebraska (no resent me here :)).  

At this point, to answer Scott Frost's question,  - yes if I was a coach, I would rather play FSU at this point than a resurgent Bama team that seems to have found its way at the right time. 

My prediction is that  Bama beats Michigan,   Texas beats Washington.  Bama gets its revenge on Texas and wins the NC. 

• Plus1 1

It just depends if the idea is to get the 4 best teams at this point in time (which seems to be the way the committee chose to go) or if the regular season actually matters (apparently it doesn’t).

IMO, FSU should’ve got in. Undefeated 13-0 P5 conference champion. Period. It shouldn’t matter if they’re now on their 2nd string or 4th string QB. But we all know nobody was going allow the SEC to be left out of the party. I can’t blame FSU for being super pissed and I just cannot stomach ESPN any longer. Is Bama better than FSU? Probably….yes….sure, but I don’t think that is or should be the point. All games should matter. For being a “playoff” it sure seems to be the same as when sports writers and public opinion were telling us who the best was.

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

All games should matter. For being a “playoff” it sure seems to be the same as when sports writers and public opinion were telling us who the best was.

Pretty much this.

And about that argument that expanding the playoffs would devalue the regular season....

Well, now that we have become like the NFL with a 12 team playoff, let's schedule like them.  Let's have the league do the scheduling.  No more FCS schools, no more 8 game conference scheduling.  Everyone with the same rules.  We just have to be OK with a bunch of teams with 2 and 3 losses in the playoffs.  

Will eSECpn be OK with this?  Will this hurt their cash cow?

I voted Michigan and Washington as the 2 best teams, regardless of who is in the playoffs.

Everybody knows there are 4 other teams that would be up for it and be tough to beat, including Texas, Alabama, FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon.  I mean, we've seen them all year.

Penix is the Heisman IMO.  Went undefeated, won a Conference Championship, plays like a pro, had amazing stats and beat Oregon twice, and USC, Utah, Oregon State, Boise State.  And is 24-2 a the starting QB in 2 years with Wash. 

I just feel terrible for Florida State.  

I look at what FSU did and look at their entire team, their coaching staff, their trainers and doing everything asked of them by winning every game on the schedule.  

There are guys on defense, offense and special teams that put the work in all year..... won the games... and won a conf championship.  

Well, what about them?  Doesn't anyone care about them?

Just because their talented QB got hurt recently, does not mean the rest of the roster, the team, the coaches and players don't deserve a shot at a national championship.  

And they had to win a CCG with a true freshmen who never plaid this year (a few snaps is all).  The backup QB was out with protocol and they probably score 30 points with him in the CCG instead.  

FSU got robbed. 

Most of the time, Bama is deserving (3 out every 4 years).  You can't just give the nod to them, just because it's Nick Saban and the SEC.  They've had plenty of chances in years before this year.

And next year, the first 4 teams get a bye week.  Which means the 12 team playoff isn't exactly resolved.  How are you going to determine the top 4 next year?  We could be in the same situation.

The committee screwed up.  Instead of having balls to tell people off, they crumbled to the SEC and Alabama.  

People aren't going to be tuned in if Bama or Georgia is playing in the playoffs.  Most people turn the game on because it's the playoffs regardless.  Which means it would have been perfectly fine if FSU was in the playoffs.  

• TBH 1

This is an all-time screw job by the committee. We'll be talking about this ten years from now. 

But there was never a chance they wouldn't include an SEC team. Just like conference expansion and NIL, the primary motivating factor for this decision was money. There is zero chance they're going to intentionally cut out the bulk of the SEC viewers. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
6 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

And let's be real if it was Alabama's QB who got hurt and Alabama won a couple ugly games they would be talking about how resilient they were not that they were a different team without him.

Exactly.  The fact that FSU has kept on winning says more about their whole team.