One-Time Transfer Rule On the Way Out?

Mavric

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Deion gonna ship out 2/3rds of the players he brought in last year via transfer in the next 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Rhule about to do the same over the next 45 days :) 

See that's what I thought, but it's not based on when you enter the portal. It's just for the next 2 weeks (potentially longer depending on what the judge says then) players are eligible - and there aren't many games in the next 2 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

See that's what I thought, but it's not based on when you enter the portal. It's just for the next 2 weeks (potentially longer depending on what the judge says then) players are eligible - and there aren't many games in the next 2 weeks. 

I need to read more on what this means.  I'm still trying to figure out if Rhule has the ability to move players off scholly in his first year. In doing some research and other boards, I'm 95% sure rhule basically has through the end of this school year (May 2024) to reduce roster down to 85 via that "first year coach" provision.  There's some confusion if the first year means 12 months after hire date, or if is the first full school year (calendar).

If we truly do land Raiola and mccord, something tells me we'll be in the running for a few other guys who would be welcome additions to the team.  Somepoint we gotta get down to 85....

It sure would be nice if the NCAA can just say the players from the covid year still in college do not count against the 85.  The whole free year of eligibility and not doing anything about actual roster limits is creating some unnecessary headaches.

Just now, gossamorharpy said:

I need to read more on what this means.  I'm still trying to figure out if Rhule has the ability to move players off scholly in his first year. In doing some research and other boards, I'm 95% sure rhule basically has through the end of this school year (May 2024) to reduce roster down to 85 via that "first year coach" provision.  There's some confusion if the first year means 12 months after hire date, or if is the first full school year (calendar).

If we truly do land Raiola and mccord, something tells me we'll be in the running for a few other guys who would be welcome additions to the team.  Somepoint we gotta get down to 85....

And maybe people are taking it as a sign that the NCAA is resigned to not enforcing sit-out years/waivers in the future, in which case it is a lot easier to clean house. But for now, it's just that players who are currently sitting out a year can start playing.

You can only make players leave your first year as a coach. But this would still make it a lot easier to process players in subsequent years - right now you can tell them "you're not going to play here" but they might still stick around and hope for an opportunity rather than sit out. If coaches tell them they aren't playing here but they could be immediately eligible somewhere else, they're more likely to take the hint and bail. Something has to happen with our roster for sure though.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

And maybe people are taking it as a sign that the NCAA is resigned to not enforcing sit-out years/waivers in the future, in which case it is a lot easier to clean house. But for now, it's just that players who are currently sitting out a year can start playing.

You can only make players leave your first year as a coach. But this would still make it a lot easier to process players in subsequent years - right now you can tell them "you're not going to play here" but they might still stick around and hope for an opportunity rather than sit out. If coaches tell them they aren't playing here but they could be immediately eligible somewhere else, they're more likely to take the hint and bail. Something has to happen with our roster for sure though.

There is so much murkiness with the rules, or lack of rules today.  For instance, Rhule can still use that provision i mentioned, a guy wouldnt be on the team but he'd retain his scholarship as promised to continue his education.  However, I believe if a players enter the portal he basically gives up his scholly/gives the progrum a chance to rescind.