Expectations Tangent Thread

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So you accuse others of ignoring close wins and focus on close losses.  Then you focus on the close losses.  Seems legit.

Yes, it's not exactly mind blowing to understand that Nebraska lost games they shouldn't have and won games they didn't play well. It's why they have the record that they do because they weren't significantly better or worse than the teams they played. They could've had a better record and easily could've had a worse record. 

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

And you can only talk about things in relativistic terms that fit your narrative.  You claim "decent" QB play in those games.  By whose standards?

169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT against Wisconsin isn't really a benchmark that most of anyone would conder to be good enough.  

189 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT against Iowa is basically the same.

Those yards per game would be 100+ in the country in passing offense.  I don't think that's really getting it done.

That TD:INT ratio would be at least in the 80s.

Strained definition of "decent".  

It was improved play over the previous outings from Nebraska's QBs up to that point in the season. Wisconsin was a case where Purdy didn't turn the ball over until the final play of the game, after the coaches galaxy brained themselves out of a win for the second game in a row. 

Of course with even better QB play Nebraska may have one those games. Hopefully that's the case when Nebraska plays them next year so they can beat them for the first time in more than a decade.

"Pretty substantial" when we play basically the same type of schedule next year.  When 20 ppg this year would have gotten us 4-5 more wins.  Just need a Top 100 scoring offense.  But that's a lot to you.

I've been pretty clear in saying that 2024 is a relatively easy schedule but that, on average, it's going to be substantially more difficult for Nebraska in the future. 

Why I have to explain this when the B1G is adding 4 teams - all better than Nebraska at the moment - while simultaneously getting rid of divisions is beyond me. This isn't complicated or difficult to understand. 

First you say we aren't going to be playing the 2023 schedule.  But the 2024 schedule is still "favorable".  You simply change your statements whenever it's convenient for your argument.

Not sure what the hangup here is. It's simultaneously true that Nebraska isn't playing the same schedule in 2024 as they did in 2023 and that the 2024 schedule also favorable considering the alternatives isn't exactly earth shattering analysis because it's true.

With improved QB play, Nebraska has a chance to go 7-5 or 8-4 next year and average that record over a decade which is what I've been saying this whole time. 

The 2025 schedule contains two teams we beat this year (Michigan State and Northwestern)

Perhaps you watched a different Michigan State game than I, but Nebraska did not play well and lost that game. 

Regarding the rest, I have no idea what you're referring to considering I've mentioned multiple times that Nebraska will average 7-5 or 8-4. I simply maintain that will be difficult and will require roster improvement and more consistent play because it will. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

DR seems to be unfazed by the spotlight. That’s great to see because he’s going to have some LeBron-coming-out-of-high-school expectations around here. The kid is the most polished QB (progressions, pocket presence, accuracy, etc.) I’ve seen in a long time. Then you add in the arm talent and it’s easy to see why the back-to-back champs wanted him so badly. 

I just hope we can supply him with some serious weapons so that he’s not asked to be Superman on every drive. I feel like that’s where we really failed Adrian. His freshman year he had Ziggy in the backfield, and Stanley Morgan and Spielman to throw to. I think people forget how spoiled we were with SM. Sure the guy wasn’t a Biletnikoff contender but he was a damn good WR1. After that first year with Adrian our line regressed and we struck out/failed to develop ANY WR recruits (and that’s the nicest way I can word that). 

I really like our young receivers, but we could use someone in the portal with some previous production and experience. Definitely a RB, too. We’re really cooking with some gas now though with the Raiola splash. Hopefully we can cash in with the 2025 class. And, hell, maybe even put an exciting product on the field next year to go along with it. 

Sorry for the novel. The Rhule-aid is flowing!!!

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If NU drastically improves recruiting, then we are talking about getting into the top 12 and the playoff picture.  

To put it into perspective, Nebraska would have to double their acquisition of Blue Chip talent (currently sitting at 8 players) to 16 blue chips in order to be in the realm of teams that will consistently go 10-2 or better and compete for playoff spots. 

Nebraska has recruited 20 such players over the list 4 seasons combined.

Unfortunately recruiting suffered heavily in the twilight of the Frost era, as the writing was on the wall for a long time. Matt Rhule has done a good job implementing a recruiting plan and getting 8 blue chip players this year. If they can sustain that level of recruiting success, Nebraska will be in good shape going forward. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I've been pretty clear in saying that 2024 is a relatively easy schedule but that, on average, it's going to be substantially more difficult for Nebraska in the future. 

That wasn't your argument at first.  Only when I pointed out that 2024 wasn't any different than 2023 did you extend your timeline.  

And now I showed that 2025 isn't really any different either.  You're just stuck on that narrative so you're sticking with it.

Why I have to explain this when the B1G is adding 4 teams - all better than Nebraska at the moment - while simultaneously getting rid of divisions is beyond me. This isn't complicated or difficult to understand. 

Because it doesn't matter who's all in the conference.  It only matters who we actually play.

That isn't that complicated or difficult to understand.

Not sure what the hangup here is. It's simultaneously true that Nebraska isn't playing the same schedule in 2024 as they did in 2023 and that the 2024 schedule also favorable considering the alternatives isn't exactly earth shattering analysis because it's true.

Again, that wasn't your original argument.  Only after I pointed out the flaw in your argument.  I'm glad you agree with me.

With improved QB play, Nebraska has a chance to go 7-5 or 8-4 next year and average that record over a decade which is what I've been saying this whole time. 

No, you've been saying that would need to be "pretty substantial" improvement.  That's been your argument about needed a lot more help than just a QB this whole time.

But, again, your argument just keeps changing because you're just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

15-0 national champions rolling every team by 3 scores or more while DR wins the Heisman. Matt Rhule begins his path to eclipsing Osbornes greatness and is soon recognized as the greatest coach of all time and a Husker legend. Raiola wins 3 Heismans and proceeds to get drafted 1st overall by the Chicago Bears where he restores that franchise to former glory as well winning 4 super bowls in his HOF career. Seems reasonable to me

• Oh Yeah! 2
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

That wasn't your argument at first.  Only when I pointed out that 2024 wasn't any different than 2023 did you extend your timeline.  

And now I showed that 2025 isn't really any different either.  You're just stuck on that narrative so you're sticking with it.

Because it doesn't matter who's all in the conference.  It only matters who we actually play.

That isn't that complicated or difficult to understand.

Again, that wasn't your original argument.  Only after I pointed out the flaw in your argument.  I'm glad you agree with me.

No, you've been saying that would need to be "pretty substantial" improvement.  That's been your argument about needed a lot more help than just a QB this whole time.

But, again, your argument just keeps changing because you're just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

What I'm referring too is the overall average schedule Nebraska will play going forward. Pick any year you like, 2030 or 2035 and the schedule is, more likely than not, going to be more difficult than what Nebraska faced in 2023 - which was the easiest and most favorable schedule Nebraska has had in recent memory.

This is because the Big Ten has done what's known as conference expansion - they've added 4 new teams. The thing about this is: all four of those teams are currently better than Nebraska. The Big Ten also got rid of divisions (drat!) and part of that is the 3 strongest teams in the league used to not be in our division. Now we'll play those better teams more often. Woah, double whammy! Nebraska is fortunate in 2024 to have an easy schedule, it gets more difficult in 2025 and gets more difficult after that.

Furthermore, you seem to assume that Nebraska's opponents stay stagnant. Teams are going to improve or get better just as Nebraska is going to improve or get better. Assuming Nebraska stops being one of the worst developmental programs in the country, they can expect to win approximately half of the games they play against teams that acquire similar levels of talent. They'll also probably lose 75% of the time against the top 5 teams in the conference. 

All told, you're going to end up with a lot of 7-5 or 8-4 records going forward. Why you and everybody else thinks these records are bad is beyond me. College Football is a lot more difficult than it used to be, teams have better coaching, better analysts, more resources, giant weight rooms, whatever it is. Every team in the conference will likely lose more games going forward.

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

he was right the first time.  If the vikings tried to draft him he would pull a John Elway and threaten to play baseball

I hate to break it to you, but no one would rather play for the Bears than the Vikings. If we're talking NFC North he'd probably pick the Lions given his dad's 14 year career there and their current upward trajectory.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I hate to break it to you, but no one would rather play for the Bears than the Vikings. If we're talking NFC North he'd probably pick the Lions given his dad's 14 year career there and their current upward trajectory.

I would.  And I'm pretty sure more ex-huskers have played for the Bears than the Vikings.  

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I would.  And I'm pretty sure more ex-huskers have played for the Bears than the Vikings.  

Talking about who they'd want to play for though, not which team has fans that want them there. If someone would rather play baseball instead of going to the Vikings, they'd probably just retire from sports altogether rather than have their NFL rights owned by the Bears. 

Obviously not how it works, people will play for whoever drafts them and that's not a foregone conclusion with a high school senior. But just gotta say there are more reasons to want to avoid the Bears than most teams.

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Looks like you went back and looked at some 80’s and 90’s schedules because your verbiage earlier was Nebraska modern football history:lol:

I really meant "recent memory" and "modern Nebraska football history" to be the same thing. But I really don't think bringing up schedules from three decades and three conferences ago constitutes "modern football history". 

I do hope that Nebraska builds momentum during 2024 and with better coaching management, I'm optimistic they can get to a bowl game and build positive buzz around Nebraska going forward. The football program desperately needs it.