Husker Offense

Mavric

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. Purdy leaving hurts us quite a bit, IMO. I really expected he'd be the starter next year and Rhule would try to redshirt Raiola, probably giving Raiola his four allowable games.

I would have been interested to see what Purdy could have done this past year, if he wasn't injured and got the chance after the Colorado game.

But I think the only QB starting ahead of Raiola next year would have been McCord.  Although word now is we didn't ever even offer McCord the chance to be here.

I wanted Purdy to stay.  But I think he would have been #2.  Which is why he's leaving.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I wanted Purdy to stay.  But I think he would have been #2.  Which is why he's leaving.

Based on Rhule's press conference, I think Rhule is comfortable riding the development wave with 2 elite 11 QBs.  Probably our best # 3 QB is a walk on.  I would imagine Rhule would try to redshirt DK if at all possible.  I cannot see Haarberg being the # 1 or # 2 guy while DR sits on the bench.  It would be 'nice' if we could find a decent experienced QB who knows he isn't going to the NFL who could become # 2 with Haarberg as TE and possible # 3 QB if we are in a pinch - thus allowing DK to redshirt. 

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can buy this.

I think Purdy may have even transferred only based on kind of feeling like he was being used as a bridge player to get Dylan to his redshirt freshman year, also.

Personally I think you always want to redshirt a player like Raiola. But it is what it is!

51 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Based on Rhule's press conference, I think Rhule is comfortable riding the development wave with 2 elite 11 QBs.

Yes

Probably our best # 3 QB is a walk on.

No

I would imagine Rhule would try to redshirt DK if at all possible. 

Yes

I cannot see Haarberg being the # 1 or # 2 guy while DR sits on the bench. 

Yes

It would be 'nice' if we could find a decent experienced QB who knows he isn't going to the NFL who could become # 2 with Haarberg as TE and possible # 3 QB if we are in a pinch - thus allowing DK to redshirt. 

The only way this would be necessary is if Raiola is injured and misses a significant portion of the season.  HH can be the #2 and play spot duty if needed.  DK can play in four games if he's more ready than HH and Raiola misses a game or two.

If Raiola misses more than four games, I don't know if the season will mean enough to burn DK's redshirt.

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If Raiola misses more than four games, I don't know if the season will mean enough to burn DK's redshirt.

Let's hope it never comes to that.  Raiola seems to be a big, strong kid  - not prone to injury.  But either way, it wouldn't be worth burning 2 redshirts. 

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Let's hope it never comes to that.  Raiola seems to be a big, strong kid  - the prone to injury.  But either way, it wouldn't be worth burning 2 redshirts. 

The only way this would be necessary is if Raiola is injured and misses a significant portion of the season.  HH can be the #2 and play spot duty if needed.  DK can play in four games if he's more ready than HH and Raiola misses a game or two.

Honest question in 2023.  Why are we concerned with redshirts at all anymore?  Kids staying a full 4 years is rare, and the longer they sit the more likely they are to leave.  We want to be recruiting at least 1 QB a year, so expecting to eventually have a bunch of 5th year seniors seems like a bygone way of thinking. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Honest question in 2023.  Why are we concerned with redshirts at all anymore?  Kids staying a full 4 years is rare, and the longer they sit the more likely they are to leave.  We want to be recruiting at least 1 QB a year, so expecting to eventually have a bunch of 5th year seniors seems like a bygone way of thinking. 

Generally speaking, I agree.   It's mostly for linemen and other guys that need to physically develop.

But this situation is somewhat different.  Like you said, most teams usually take one QB per year.  We took two this year.  So it makes sense to split them up if possible.  Also, the hope would be a local kid who is at his "dream school" would be more likely to stick around, like HH has done so far.

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think the thought is that when you bring in 2 really good QBs in the same class, you would hope that you could redshirt one to spread out their eligibility.

However, if Dylan is as good as we think he is, there's a chance he's not going to be here 4 years anyway.  And, we need to bring in a good QB every year, so hopefully, we have another one coming in to compete next year.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You are probably right - it was the way we always built depth and not forcing guys into the fire too soon.  Perhaps that is the old way of thinking - current realities may not allow the ideal to happen.  

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

If we don't bring in another transfer QB, I fully expect the depth chart to be: 

1. Raiola

2. Haarberg

3. Longvall

RS: Kaelin

You may be right but I’ll adjust for preference.

1- Raiola

2- TBD bridge guy

3- Kaelin (4 game max & RS)

4- Haarberg (s#!ts gone wrong)

5- Longvall (who?, no longer matters)

• TBH 1