Husker Offense

Mavric

So this thread has a lot to unbox. I like the original intention and thought behind it…seems like it got off the rails a bit there.

But in all I like what is being said about how we can use what we have. I’m not enough of an x’s an o’s guy to contribute greatly to what’s been already said but I love the idea of running heavy sets and making defenders load the box. hit ‘‘em in the teeth a bit w the run game and then catch them w their pants down with some quick slants to a guy like loyd and some wheel routes w fidone/ Nelson. Maybe a bubble screen here or there. Then go for the jugular with some deep playaction passing. I haven’t been this excited for our offense since AMs freshman year.

That said Satterfield better be doing his home work and if I were him, I’d be recording every niners game and learning how to translate that into our own version of it. Obvious from Rhules comments that is what he wants to emulate. Go.Big.Freaking.Red

5 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

So this thread has a lot to unbox. I like the original intention and thought behind it…seems like it got off the rails a bit there.

But in all I like what is being said about how we can use what we have. I’m not enough of an x’s an o’s guy to contribute greatly to what’s been already said but I love the idea of running heavy sets and making defenders load the box. hit ‘‘em in the teeth a bit w the run game and then catch them w their pants down with some quick slants to a guy like loyd and some wheel routes w fidone/ Nelson. Maybe a bubble screen here or there. Then go for the jugular with some deep playaction passing. I haven’t been this excited for our offense since AMs freshman year.

That said Satterfield better be doing his home work and if I were him, I’d be recording every niners game and learning how to translate that into our own version of it. Obvious from Rhules comments that is what he wants to emulate. Go.Big.Freaking.Red

I would love to get to a point where our WRs and TEs are so good that they realize they CAN'T load the box.

• TBH 4
32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would love to get to a point where our WRs and TEs are so good that they realize they CAN'T load the box.

I’m confident they are not far off.  They were open, not just open but wide open, it’s unfortunate for them that we didn’t have anyone that could get them the ball consistently. Sure Coleman had a dropped pass here or there but I think I only counted two maybe? Needs to get more physical in his route running but he will get there. Loyd was solid, Fidone ironically had the most drops. Needs to work on his blocking too. Doss has potential. Cant wait for #15 to spin it to ‘em. This offense could be trouble for the new B1G.

add on: speaking of WR anyone know where Washington’s waiver stands? Coming back or no?

17 hours ago, chamrocck said:

B. Purdy is a good QB, efficient, smart. Kudos to him playing how the coaches need him so SF keeps winning games. But no he is not a dynamic QB and benefits due to all the talent and weapons he has around him. 

Brock Purdy benefits from all the talent around him. But he's a dynamic quarterback, too. You can talk about strong arms and dual threats, but QB is mostly about decision making. Purdy is unusually skilled at buying time in the pocket with efficient footwork, or, if needed, throwing on the run, giving his receivers time to get separation, and checking down his receivers without telegraphing his throws. He's throwing accurate bullets and long balls and loft passes. He also does a great job of selling play action, which a lot of QBs don't do anymore. 

Plenty of other people making your argument about Brock, but it seems the definition of dynamic is saved for dual threats or QBs who put up big stats on crappy teams. We had that "dynamic" guy in Trey Lance, running the same system, and he's now the third string quarterback in Dallas. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just so I can keep Niners talk in the Husker offense thread:  Bill Walsh liked Nebraska's offensive players because they came to the NFL already knowing how to block (Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jamie Williams). That often misunderstood West Coast Offense wasn't about passing or sophistication, it was about using all the weapons at your disposal. That's why you could bring in Tom Rathman as QB protection or the lead blocker for Craig and throw in a play or two where Rathman keeps running to become a wide open wide receiver. That's why Shanahan keeps a fullback when other teams drop them: it's not an outdated position, it's another weapon that keeps defenses guessing. Nebraska should do something like that. 

• TBH 1

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's why Shanahan keeps a fullback when other teams drop them: it's not an outdated position, it's another weapon that keeps defenses guessing. Nebraska should do something like that. 

I think there's a pitfall though in thinking that having a fullback means you'll keep a defense guessing but if you don't have a fullback you won't be able to. You didn't say that verbatim of course, but as a fan of the niners you might just have that as your "scheme bias" or whatever we might call it.     :)

There are two main concerns I have in general:

• Are we putting a fullback or two tight ends out there because it actually sets us up to get numbers on our opponents in the best way, or are we doing it just because it's the staff's/fans' wet dream?
  • If Raiola turns out to be a generational talent among Husker QB's, we need to maximize what his strengths bring to the table. And I'm thinking that's pushing the ball downfield in the passing game.

So to the first point, let's say we've got three traditional type receivers by the time Raiola is up to speed that are really exceptional at getting open and catching the ball. If you put a fullback in just because you want a fullback out there but he can't really act as a weapon on the level of any of those three receivers, that's probably bad because having him out there means you can't have all three WR's on the field at the same time.

But my bookend to all of this is that any scheme can win any game if the players execute it well. I don't get too stuck on all of this but it's something to talk about in the offseason.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Brock Purdy benefits from all the talent around him. But he's a dynamic quarterback, too. You can talk about strong arms and dual threats, but QB is mostly about decision making. Purdy is unusually skilled at buying time in the pocket with efficient footwork, or, if needed, throwing on the run, giving his receivers time to get separation, and checking down his receivers without telegraphing his throws. He's throwing accurate bullets and long balls and loft passes. He also does a great job of selling play action, which a lot of QBs don't do anymore. 

Plenty of other people making your argument about Brock, but it seems the definition of dynamic is saved for dual threats or QBs who put up big stats on crappy teams. We had that "dynamic" guy in Trey Lance, running the same system, and he's now the third string quarterback in Dallas. 

I think Raiola is more like a Josh Allen, who has made the Bills a better team. I expect the same from Raiola, to raise the play of our offense. The 49ers make Brock Purdy a better QB because of all the talent that surrounds him. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I think Raiola is more like a Josh Allen, who has made the Bills a better team. I expect the same from Raiola, to raise the play of our offense. The 49ers make Brock Purdy a better QB because of all the talent that surrounds him. 

Well sure. You gotta wonder if Patrick Mahomes goes to the Bears instead of the Chiefs if he's making State Farm commercials today.

Or you could look at the fact that Brock Purdy's four years at Iowa State were the first four consecutive winning seasons for ISU since the 1920s. And they started sucking again after he left. 

I mean, I've watched every 49ers game for years, including Shanahan's seven year run, which included multiple years with the likes of Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Raheem Mostert, and others, and the Purdy version is just plain better for the simple reason that he's a better quarterback. The "game manager" slight is just silly. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well sure. You gotta wonder if Patrick Mahomes goes to the Bears instead of the Chiefs if he's making State Farm commercials today.

Or you could look at the fact that Brock Purdy's four years at Iowa State were the first four consecutive winning seasons for ISU since the 1920s. And they started sucking again after he left. 

I mean, I've watched every 49ers game for years, including Shanahan's seven year run, which included multiple years with the likes of Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk, Raheem Mostert, and others, and the Purdy version is just plain better for the simple reason that he's a better quarterback. The "game manager" slight is just silly. 

100 percent. If he stays healthy he will surpass Tom Brady. he’d be a star wherever he went. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 12/23/2023 at 1:42 AM, chamrocck said:

Raiola is a big guy.  Didn't realize how much he weighed. Based on his rushing yards in HS, unsure if he can run like Allen (I'd love it if he does/would/could.  Might have never really had to use his legs.  Unsure if those numbers I have seen accounted for sacks.  But to your point, Allen's QB has improved the offense at all levels.  Thinking that Raiola will make us more multiple than previous years where we can effectively use the WR's, TE's and use the passing game to open up the running game.  Don't need a QB to run like Tommie, but well enough to make DC's account for him.  

• Worth a Look 1
21 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

100 percent. If he stays healthy he will surpass Tom Brady. he’d be a star wherever he went. 

I'd say Mahomes is already in the Top 3 discussion if he never takes another snap. But regarding this thread, if Mahomes gets drafted higher, like the top QB usually does, he lands on a losing, rebuilding program, not with Andy Reid team loaded with offensive weapons. He would immediately make that team better, but we might look at him like a Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray or Trevor Lawrence rather than the unquestioned best quarterback in the league. That's always the way it's been, a combination of talent, coaching, scheme, supporting cast and luck. 

Brady did take his legend to another level when he left Belichek and the Patriots for the Bucs, took them to the Super Bowl and schooled Mahomes in his prime. 

• TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Brady did take his legend to another level when he left Belichek and the Patriots for the Bucs, took them to the Super Bowl and schooled Mahomes in his prime. 

To be fair, Brady didn’t school Mahomes per se. Offenses don’t play against other offenses. He schooled a team that Mahomes happened to be the QB of. I don’t think much can be derived trying to compare QBs in head to head competition. That said, Mahomes still has a long ways to go to reach Brady level.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4