Saban Retiring

Alabama is still going to be good in the foreseeable future just due to the talent that they have on the roster.  But if whoever goes 9-3 or 10-2 with 1st round playoff losses for 2 or 3 years he will be gone.  And the further they get from Saban the harder it will be to recover.

Keep in mind here was Alabama in the 10 years before Saban

4-7

7-5

10-3

3-8

7-5

10-3

4-9

6-6

10-2

6-7

A total of 57-55

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Alabama is still going to be good in the foreseeable future just due to the talent that they have on the roster.  But if whoever goes 9-3 or 10-2 with 1st round playoff losses for 2 or 3 years he will be gone.  And the further they get from Saban the harder it will be to recover.

Keep in mind here was Alabama in the 10 years before Saban

4-7

7-5

10-3

3-8

7-5

10-3

4-9

6-6

10-2

6-7

A total of 57-55

Demographic shifts over the past 20-30 years make it easier in the South to stay on top (or up there) when the brand is strong.

They could crash to that level, but would take Frost-like ineptitude to get there.

48 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Demographic shifts over the past 20-30 years make it easier in the South to stay on top (or up there) when the brand is strong.

They could crash to that level, but would take Frost-like ineptitude to get there.

Best case scenario for Alabama w/o Saban would be Mark Richt level Georgia.  A 9-3 on average with a couple 11-1 seasons mixed with a few 6-6 seasons.  But that won't fly long term in Tuscaloosa.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

People think we have terrible luck with coaches.

The Browns had Bill Belichick as Head Coach for five years.  Saban was his DC for four.

Belichick was 36-44 as their HC.

They were 31-34 with both of them.

I'm sure many people get many different takes from this.  My first is "Nice Sweatshirts".

But seriously, to me it shows how many things must be right or "inline" to be successful.  There are so many parts of the machine that must be working in order to win.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

People think we have terrible luck with coaches.

The Browns had Bill Belichick as Head Coach for five years.  Saban was his DC for four.

Belichick was 36-44 as their HC.

They were 31-34 with both of them.

Another example of having good coaches doesn't mean a team is going to be successful if management around them sucks.

And...also, I'm sure those two improved their coaching throughout their careers.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They are back to begging the UW coach.

So they have no struck out 5 times...and are back to begging.

What a bunch of clowns.

No one knows who they have/haven't talked to.  Its all just rumors/leaks and minor league "reporters" looking for clout, like the guy saying Lanning was in Tuscaloosa (never happened).  Jimmy Sexton basically represents all of the candidates (and Saban too!) and is doing his best to get every single one of them a raise, which makes his pockets a little heavier.

Anyways, if its DeBoer, that will be a totally fish out of water hire.  Don't get me wrong, dude can coach football like a madman (and would kill it at many, many places), but he has never been exposed to something like coaching at Alabama (especially following Saban).

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They are back to begging the UW coach.

So they have no struck out 5 times...and are back to begging.

What a bunch of clowns.

5? I know Lanning, but who are the others?

• TBH 1

42 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'd go after Leipold if it was my call.  I know he's 60, but they are going to need a "transition coach" after Saban.  Bring him in for 5-7 years and allow people to move on from Saban.  A lot like we never talk about Osbourne any more...:).  He's got a ton of experience and I think he'd do a good job.

There are a bunch of coaches that could do a good job at Bama. Problem is, none of them is capable of meeting the expectations. And Alabama will not lower their expectations one iota. Next guy is doomed to failure no matter what. The best they can hope for is a good coach that wants to pad his early retirement. All prospects have to realize it’s probably a career ender. Well maybe not a career ender but they certainly have to realize it won’t be a long term job.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I guess I should update my resume if they are that hard up. 

Years ago when the Irish were looking for a new coach...me and my HC said would both apply just in hopes of getting a letter back from ND saying "Thank you for your interest but..." on the ND letterhead! 

• Haha 3