Thunderin Bolts @ College of Charleston

These 150+ pitch games is happening far too often in college ball (Nebraska threw 148, CofC threw 156) and it's not just a few games. I don't know if it's umps with shoebox zones or umps that simply can't keep a consistent zone but it's become a huge issue. Teams pitching staffs by mid season are going to suffer. I noticed 3 years ago, it was bad last year and this year it seems like well over half the games I look at are throwing 135+...

As for this game, we won in the 9th again. Lot of people will say we won ugly. I won't.. I think 9th inning wins are more common with how games are being called at the plate. Also, you have to push runners across home to win so to me, winning is winning. Good win against and underrated opponent that prior to this weekend was unbeaten. We took the series now it's time to sweep it. Congrats Huskers & GBR!!!

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

These 150+ pitch games is happening far too often in college ball (Nebraska threw 148, CofC threw 156) and it's not just a few games. I don't know if it's umps with shoebox zones or umps that simply can't keep a consistent zone but it's become a huge issue. Teams pitching staffs by mid season are going to suffer. I noticed 3 years ago, it was bad last year and this year it seems like well over half the games I look at are throwing 135+...

As for this game, we won in the 9th again. Lot of people will say we won ugly. I won't.. I think 9th inning wins are more common with how games are being called at the plate. Also, you have to push runners across home to win so to me, winning is winning. Good win against and underrated opponent that prior to this weekend was unbeaten. We took the series now it's time to sweep it. Congrats Huskers & GBR!!!

I thought the imo tonight was squeezing both starters for most of the game. I missed the 7-8 innings 

10 hours ago, HANC said:

I thought the imo tonight was squeezing both starters for most of the game. I missed the 7-8 innings 

The zone was pretty tight yesterday, both teams had several instances where they wanted to throw it around the horn or walk to the dugout only have the home plate ump call a ball. I do think the ump was consistent and equally tough to both teams however. I am wondering if there is an emphasis being made to remove the 2-4” off the plate strike that has been pretty common in the college game until recently. Used to bother me that so many pitches hitters are taught to lay off were called strikes in the past, but the trade off for tighter zones is higher pitch counts and more arm injuries, which is worse than more batters getting punched out at bad strike calls.

9 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

The zone was pretty tight yesterday, both teams had several instances where they wanted to throw it around the horn or walk to the dugout only have the home plate ump call a ball. I do think the ump was consistent and equally tough to both teams however. I am wondering if there is an emphasis being made to remove the 2-4” off the plate strike that has been pretty common in the college game until recently. Used to bother me that so many pitches hitters are taught to lay off were called strikes in the past, but the trade off for tighter zones is higher pitch counts and more arm injuries, which is worse than more batters getting punched out at bad strike calls.

I agree. Maybe I am a little out of touch and I know that theses athletes are in fantastic physical condition, but I believe the CC starter went 103 pitches and Sears was around 90.  Both only went around 6 innings and were both very good, not wild. Seems like a lot of pitches for guys who don’t walk batters. Plus, it seems early in season for starters to be logging that workload. Not questioning Coaching, just an observation