OG Trevor Robinson

Eric the Red

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska. Simply look at out of state admissions, and that is obvious. Claiming that we are on an equal level to them in academics is rather silly. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting an education at Nebraska, and a degree from NU would certainly serve you well later in life. In all honesty I believe that (playing time at the two schools being equal) Notre Dame probably offers better opportunities as a football player as well. I will probably be attacked for saying this but....They are on National Television practically every single weekend. We will be lucky if we are on national television 4 times throughout the regular season. We are almost always on a regional broadcast only. The opportunity for personal exposure is much greater there. However, I would certainly hope he is making his decision based on the actual team and program, rather than selfish reasons like self exposure.

That being said, Nebraska has a ton to offer: If the rumors are true, he has been a huge fan of us for his entire life....we certainly have that going for us. Also, I think the chance for playing time is better here. We are closer to home, therefore closer to his friends and family.

It is hard to imagine a life long Nebraska fan being a domer, but it seems both schools have their positives. Does anyone know if this young man was raised Catholic?

Remind of which schools Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates graduated from?

Warren Buffett: Nebraska, Columbia

Steve Jobs: attended Reeds College but dropped out

Bill Gates: attended Harvard for 3 years then dropped out

All three are very rich. All three went to college, but only one graduated. Your point is?

maybe that the 3 richest men in the US did not graduate from ND

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska. Simply look at out of state admissions, and that is obvious. Claiming that we are on an equal level to them in academics is rather silly. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting an education at Nebraska, and a degree from NU would certainly serve you well later in life. In all honesty I believe that (playing time at the two schools being equal) Notre Dame probably offers better opportunities as a football player as well. I will probably be attacked for saying this but....They are on National Television practically every single weekend. We will be lucky if we are on national television 4 times throughout the regular season. We are almost always on a regional broadcast only. The opportunity for personal exposure is much greater there. However, I would certainly hope he is making his decision based on the actual team and program, rather than selfish reasons like self exposure.

That being said, Nebraska has a ton to offer: If the rumors are true, he has been a huge fan of us for his entire life....we certainly have that going for us. Also, I think the chance for playing time is better here. We are closer to home, therefore closer to his friends and family.

It is hard to imagine a life long Nebraska fan being a domer, but it seems both schools have their positives. Does anyone know if this young man was raised Catholic?

I dont understand what the National exposure would have to do with anything. If TR becomes a monster lineman, NFL scouts will go anywhere to evaluate

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska. Simply look at out of state admissions, and that is obvious. Claiming that we are on an equal level to them in academics is rather silly.

Right. Trailing Notre Dame and Michigan, but at least we beat OU and KSU.

:restore

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska. Simply look at out of state admissions, and that is obvious. Claiming that we are on an equal level to them in academics is rather silly.

Right. Trailing Notre Dame and Michigan, but at least we beat OU and KSU.

:restore

Ok, time to let go of the "My dad is tougher than your dad" argument with schools here. The kid just wants to make sure he ends up at the right school. If his dad is behind it, oh well. If he's wants to be N he will be. All this hot air is kind of ridiculous.

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska.

Depends on what you mean by "better". The average grad from ND will probably have more opportunity than the average grad from UNL, but i think this is mostly to do with the connections you get by going to ND vs UNL. Statistically speaking, ND leads to better jobs for the average individual.

I'm unsure of ND success with placement into graduate school. They probably have an advantage here too, but i would suspect it also has more to do with connections.

In terms of the education recieved, i think most of it has to do with the effort the student puts in vs which school they go to. I believe this is true for most all undergrad programs. A grad from UNL can be just as knowledgeable and trained as a grad from ND, Harvard, UM, tOSU etc. Likewise, a person who slacks off at one of these "great" schools will be just as worthless as a slacker from any other school.

There are a few exceptions that i can think of (like Cal Tech and MIT if you are looking for a math or engineering grad) but for the most part, at the undergraduate level, the student is the most important factor not the school.

The graduate level is where things start to change, and certain schools most definitely do give an advantage depending on major, area of interest, resources etc.

Thus, imo, the greatest advantage ND has is it's job connections for it's alumni. Which, is not something to take lightly. However, Trevor would hardly be the average grad from UNL and is probably thinking NFL after college anyway. For a guy in Trevor's situation, i do think ND "betterness" is minimal.

I don't play football, so as a recent college applicant I would have to agree.

But if you play football, your major concern in college is not going to be academics. What, is he going to take a full intensive courseload in a serious major like the other non-athletes who needed a full resume of high school academic achievements to get in? I don't think so.

A grad from UNL can be just as knowledgeable and trained as a grad from ND, Harvard, UM, tOSU etc. Likewise, a person who slacks off at one of these "great" schools will be just as worthless as a slacker from any other school.

There are a few exceptions that i can think of (like Cal Tech and MIT if you are looking for a math or engineering grad) but for the most part, at the undergraduate level, the student is the most important factor not the school.

These aren't exceptions. You can go to other schools and get just as good an education in engineering, math, or science. And if you mean reputation only, then many more schools deserve to be on this list, such as Stanford and Berkeley. It really is all about the student...but on the flip side, that argument isn't a knock against any of these schools or a reason why you wouldn't want to go there.

Oh, tOSU isn't ohio state, is it? AFAIK, it shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as michigan on an academic level. Michigan is one of the premiere public institutions in the country...

I didn't mean tOSU as a high level school. Was trying to cover a broad range of schools, though i guess i didn't do so well. Point was an undergrad from UNL can be just as well trained as an undergrad from anywhere else - high, medium, or low. It really has to do with the effort the student puts in, not with the school they are going to.

I certainly do not mean what i'm saying as a knock on these schools, they are great schools. The point i'm trying to make is that for undergrads, UNL probably isn't that far off if you're willing to put in the work.

I mentioned Cal Tech because i think their applied math program is an instance where the school does give a big advantage in training. Berkley is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, places in the world to study mathematics. But this ranking covers a combo of both the theoretical and the applied. For someone looking at Applied Math, you can do no better than Cal Tech. The program there is so incredibly rigorous that only top candidates make it through. Their undergrad program is akin to a graduate program at other schools. It is my understanding that MIT is also this way. This is somewhat different than places like Stanford and Cal, who do turn out less than top people. That's why i mentioned them, because i think there are some instances where an undergrad program gives a certain level of education above what you might find elsewhere, and they are examples of it. Here with Cal Tech's applied math program, students from other schools might be able to equal their level, but almost never will they surpasse it.

However, it's also my belief that these instances are few and far between. For the most part, the student is going to get out of it what they put into it.

Remind of which schools Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates graduated from?

Warren Buffett: Nebraska, Columbia

Steve Jobs: attended Reeds College but dropped out

Bill Gates: attended Harvard for 3 years then dropped out

All three are very rich. All three went to college, but only one graduated. Your point is?

maybe that the 3 richest men in the US did not graduate from ND

I very much know who they are and that they did not go to ND. So what! What's his point? What is the relevance of this? Is it that you don't have to graduate from ND to be successful or wealthy? Duh! Who said that you did? Could it be that one of the 3 graduated from Nebraska? Good for him. Nebraska has graduated some very distinguished and successful people. Nobody has said that UNL hasn't. Could it be that 2 of the 3 are weathly and did not graduate from college at all? How does this compliment UNL?

Come on guys, lets be serious, Notre Dame is most certainly a better school than Nebraska.

Depends on what you mean by "better". The average grad from ND will probably have more opportunity than the average grad from UNL, but i think this is mostly to do with the connections you get by going to ND vs UNL. Statistically speaking, ND leads to better jobs for the average individual.

I'm unsure of ND success with placement into graduate school. They probably have an advantage here too, but i would suspect it also has more to do with connections.

In terms of the education recieved, i think most of it has to do with the effort the student puts in vs which school they go to. I believe this is true for most all undergrad programs. A grad from UNL can be just as knowledgeable and trained as a grad from ND, Harvard, UM, tOSU etc. Likewise, a person who slacks off at one of these "great" schools will be just as worthless as a slacker from any other school.

The graduate level is where things start to change, and certain schools most definitely do give an advantage depending on major, area of interest, resources etc.

Thus, imo, the greatest advantage ND has is it's job connections for it's alumni. Which, is not something to take lightly. However, Trevor would hardly be the average grad from UNL and is probably thinking NFL after college anyway. For a guy in Trevor's situation, i do think ND "betterness" is minimal.

When it comes down to it, if we are talking academics alone, ND is considered a better institution. I have not attended ND, and I have not attended NU, so I am not saying that ND offers a superior education on the most literal level than NU. HOWEVER, if two guys both got their undergraduate degrees, one at each school...and they were completely equal in every aspect , and all connections aside, are both applying for the same job, the ND graduate wins every time.

As far as the argument that a "slacker" student at ND, is no better off than a great student at NU...this is completely irrelevant.

We are talking about ONE young man. You have to assume he will put forth the same effort at both schools. I don't really understand the logic with this argument.

When it comes down to it, if we are talking academics alone, ND is considered a better institution. I have not attended ND, and I have not attended NU, so I am not saying that ND offers a superior education on the most literal level than NU. HOWEVER, if two guys both got their undergraduate degrees, one at each school...and they were completely equal in every aspect , and all connections aside, are both applying for the same job, the ND graduate wins every time.

As far as the argument that a "slacker" student at ND, is no better off than a great student at NU...this is completely irrelevant.

We are talking about ONE young man. You have to assume he will put forth the same effort at both schools. I don't really understand the logic with this argument.

Given a random group of graduates with all major things being equal, such as GPA, major, experience, then yes the ND grads probably would win out in a head to head competition. They will also, as a group, probably recieve a higher average salary, more desireable positions, etc. This is exactly where, and only where, ND gives an advantage imo.

This what i mean when i say the "average" student from ND probably gets better oportunities than the one from UNL would.

However, when you talk about one individual, you can throw the stats out the window. Assuming he puts forth the same effort at both schools, my opinion is that he will get the same level of education wether he goes to UNL or ND. That's what i mean when i say it is the effort of the student that matters most, not the school they attend.

The big advantage might be the connections he'd make through ND, but given his situation as being a football player, i'd argue he'll make similarly good connections with UNL as well.