First Husker Home Game

HuskerMatt

Last week I went to my first Husker Football Home Game!! I wasent realy sure how it was going to turn out after having all of the losses, but it was awsome! We got into the stadium early and climbed into the nose bleed section which were still good seats and watched the stadium swell up. The first part of the game was worry some but the kick return set the tone. After that it was Score on score on score and the defence was doing thier job too. All in all it was a great game and I can't to do it again!!!!

(sorry for all of the spelling errors, im on a school computer that dosen't have spell cheak!? go figure)

:bonez

My wife met me in the winter of 2002 and took me to Memorial Stadium to see all the sights (I am a Los Angeles native and had never been east of Las Vegas before meeting her)... I surprised her the next summer with tickets to the Troy State game (so the 2002 Troy State game). We spent $125 on two tickets on the 35, right near the band. My best memories of the game are:

1) how loud it was (incredible!)

2) Groce returning a punt or kickoff for a touchdown (not sure which one it was)

3) the balloons released into a red/purple sky after the first touchdown

4) the parties in many of the college neighborhoods after the game, with all the students and alumni hanging out on their porches and talking, celebrating a win on a warm, late summer night

5) my first tunnel walk... need I say more

My wife turned me, over night, into a Nebraska fan and I have never looked back. I love the tradition of Nebraska football and even though I wasn't a fan during the 1990's, I can honestly say I am just as big a fan as many of the people I meet who were back then. This is MY team, and YOUR team, and YOUR team, and on and on... I have not been back to Memorial Stadium since, but that's only because we had kids pretty quick after getting married and it's hard to travel from Huntington Beach, CA to Lincoln, NE with a 3 year old, a 1 year old, and spend money on tickets for all of us.

Soon though, we will go back... and win or lose, it will be the fourth most amazing experience of my life... outside of my wedding day, the birth of my kids, and my FIRST Husker game. ;-)

My first husker game was when i was 8 years old, it was October 15th 1994 versus UCLA. One of the greatest experiences of my life to this date. Nebraska beat um up 49 - 21. I remember my dad took me down to the sideline by the fence and I got to see (which seemed like monsters to me at the time) Tommy Frazier, Peters brothers, Minter, the list could go on forever. I'll never forget that

1983 NU v. CU

9 years old WOW there was no turning back.

More memorable was my wife's first Husker game. 2005 Iowa State. Turned out to be a nail biter, but before the tunnel walk we looked over and my wife seen a blind lady, she couldn't believe it, she was puzzled as to why a blind lady would come to the game. I told her she would some find out. After the tunnel walk she turned to me and said OMG, she is still not much of a football fan, but she loves the Huskers and Memorial Stadium.

GBR

My first game was against KState. I'm not really sure on the exact year, but I believe that game still holds the record for the most snowfall during a game. It wasn't bitter cold, but the snow was very wet which caused all of the problems. I remember the snow plows having to clear the field between each quarter. They wouldn't even get half way through clearing the field before there was so much snow that you couldn't even tell where they had been. The snowflakes were the size of quarters.

All of my family was scattered throughout the stadium as we received tickets from various sources. Halfway through the 2nd quarter, there were so many people that had left early that we could all sit in the same area. I had great tickets as I was in row 2. The one thing that struck me before the game was how little space each seat number occupied. I was young enough that I don't remember much about the game in terms of players and such, but I do remember scoring I believe 36 points. KState was bad and we won the game handily, but we didn't score the points that were expected because of the weather and slippery field.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

My first game was in the mid-70ies. We played Wash. St. and got beat by Jack Thompson, the throwin' Samoan. The one thing that has always stuck in my mind was that I saw one of our players who looked small. I looked him up in the program and he was 6'2", 228 lbs. Standing beside me he would have looked like a giant.

Been back to many games since, and they just keep getting better.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

11/7 1987 Iowa State * 3 - 42 * Nebraska

My grandpa took me and we sat in the North Stadium. He got me a red balloon, bought me a soda, put on his headphones and shelled peanuts the whole game. Never once said a word to me. I never once sat down. Man, I love that day. Driving back to Leavenworth with my mom, we went through Iowa on HWY2 to I29. I thought that it was so awesome to be a Husker and felt bad for anyone with Iowa plates.