Question on Bo's Defense

HANC

Do we have LSU level talent right now? No, I don't think so. Do we have talent comprable to or better than Kansas? Yes, I believe so. I use that example because Kansas is a good team with good coaching and solid players that maxed out their potential, IMO. Bo worked with what he had in 03, I imagine he will do the same now. The main change is going to be the intensity, effort and the attitude. It may not be a top 10 defense, but the change in attitude will be reflected later on in restoring some blackshirt pride(hopefully).

I like what DJ said.

I am really liking what I hear about this guy. Sounds like the players really like him. (Just from reading waht Dorsey had to say and hearing some things that hte 03 defensive players said)

When I was watching the game last night I saw LSU DBs doing something that I liked.

When they were running down the field with 1v1 coverage, they looked at the WR, but knew when to turn around.

Maybe it was just my imagination, but its what I saw.

I am really liking what I hear about this guy. Sounds like the players really like him. (Just from reading waht Dorsey had to say and hearing some things that hte 03 defensive players said)

When I was watching the game last night I saw LSU DBs doing something that I liked.

When they were running down the field with 1v1 coverage, they looked at the WR, but knew when to turn around.

You know what, thats exactly what i saw, and i dont know about you, but that shows me that those DB's are well coached. I hardly see the DB looking at the ball these days, even in the NFL.

Another thing about the D-Line that I noticed and liked...they waited for the O-line to get set so they could have time to pick up on whatever keys they were looking for before they set up in their own stances.

Interesting to see the Ohio State line down in their stances while Dorsey and crew loomed over them, looking into their backfield for a last second read or to pick out the gaps they wanted to shoot. Maybe they were playing a tendency from the QB or backs...if so, it would indicate some pretty observant scouting and coaching.

You know what, thats exactly what i saw, and i dont know about you, but that shows me that those DB's are well coached. I hardly see the DB looking at the ball these days, even in the NFL.

Who's the LSU db coach??

Maybe he needs a new job?? Someplace in the middle of the country? Nebraska perhaps?

:woo

I think something we need to remember is that we have no idea what our athletes can do. They were built by Dave Kennedy and coached by Cosgrove and Callahan. Who the hell knows what a properly-developed group of kids could do in our conference? I tend towards optimism in this regard. If the same team we had this year showed any speed at all, played like a unit, and was taught proper fundamentals, we might have had a different season. Being as it is, we didn't.

I think we'll see an astounding turnaround next season. I can't wait to get to the spring game to see what kind of damage Pelini can do in the short term.

X

:thumbs

completely agree with you X... we don't have a clue what we've got here right now. IMO, folks are gonna be astounded when they (new staff) match the player with the position, build the confidence in their assignments, and pin their ears back!!! (I've always thought that Cally & Coz's magic 'schemes' had their heads spinning, and wrung out all of the pure sandlot athlete in everyone).

GBR

Let me be the first to say that I am pumped about Bo, and the fact that he has a ring to flash to recruits....

Watching this team play all season, especially last night, when everyone kept pointing it out, the LSU defense is very dependent on it's DB's abitlity to play tight-press man-man coverage....obviously, when you can do this, it allows for a lot more blitz packages........ He primarily played this defense a lot of the game.....

Does NU have the athletes to play and succeed with this style.... I just don't know how well our CB-DB will stack up against some of the elite WR in the Big 12.....and then you have to account for some very good TE.... I wonder if Bo will coach his defense "to the athletes he has", or will he pull a BC and run his style regardless........

Eventually, I would like to think that we will once again have the caliber of athletes that LSU has, but face it, it is easier to run agressive defenses when you have 2-3 All-Americans and 2-3 1st team All-SEC players roaming the field....

It will be interesting to see what kind of perspective this board takes if our defense isn't AS SUCCESSFUL as some think it may be.....will the people who claim that we "have talent" rethink this, or will they understand that we DO NOT have the talent that an LSU, OSU, USC has....or will they tend to focus the deficiencies on the staff.....

Personally, I believe that Bo will have this team playing hard, and put a team on the field that we will be proud of....but, I am not convinced that next years team will be as dominant as some tend to think.... we may be back to the "patience" word again.....and we know how well we NU fans are in this category...

Bo will return us to dominance.......no doubt.....it just may take a couple of years.

we honestly have no one the caliber of LSU's top guys, nowhere even close. pelini is a smart guy, he will play to the strengths of our D until he gets better athletes in here. until then yes, bite your tongue, don't bitch, because this will be a 2-3 year work in progress on the D side of the ball. we may even get blown out in a game or 2 next year, but i think you will see better overall play and effort. results may not be fast enough for some, but you will see more hustle than ever before and some damn gang tackling, for a change too.

One thing I saw last night, and ESPN commented on today was the conditioning and strength of the defense. I think Bo will be disappointed in what he sees at first, but will take steps to improving it.

That Dorsey is one animal....he said he wished he could come to Nebraska and play a few snaps for Pelini here....I think it would've been awsome for our players to see his intensity when he plays. That is what Husker football was, and needs to return to.

There is a lot of speed on that LSU team, also....you could definately see it in the 2nd half.

Short answer--no. At least not as well as LSU ran it. But I think the D will be vastly improved over this season...and will be decent, but is not going to be a dominant force yet. It will take a year or two.

They run the Tampa 2. It's based on the front 4's ability to put pressure on the QB, while the rest of the defense sits back and covers. There are some occasional blitzes off of it, but the bread and butter of it is zone coverage.

I'm a Bears fan. Last year they had a smothering defense--because their front 4 just flat out got after the QB. This year, their top 3 DTs were hurt, and that just killed 'em.

I expect Bo to come in and play a lot of zone, but throw in an occasional blitz. And I expect him to teach an attacking type of line play. Instead of taking a step back, putting their hands on the O lineman, they're going to try to shoot the gap, then read it--and hopefully get the back a yard deep in the backfield.

What about them running most things out of Cover 1, leaving one of the safeties to hang back, while the other can either blitz fall back into coverage, or even use as a RB spy. That could leave the LB's to play the run or the pass effectively...

I'm not sure it would work, but it's something to think about...

Bo told the guys that he's never coached a bad defense, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

i had a bogasm when i read that. and i'm man enough to admit it.

it's little injections of confidence like this that can really change a kid's way of thinking. and djr is right, we have *no* idea what this team is capable of when it's all said and done.

we might have a devaney-like resurgence next year after all.

I think we won't know until the season starts what these kids are actually capable of. I think they will play better than last year obviously, that's not hard to do, but not as well as we all want them to. It will take a few years to get the players developed and get the players he's looking for in here. Having said that I think he can come up with an effective defense that our players can play well in. It all comes down to coaching the kids up to their potential. We seen with Callahan that you can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't coach then it just goes to waste. It's going to be exciting to see what these guys can do. I don't expect miracles out of next season and neither should anyone else. I just want us to be better than last season. :thumbs

Bo told the guys that he's never coached a bad defense, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

i had a bogasm when i read that. and i'm man enough to admit it.

it's little injections of confidence like this that can really change a kid's way of thinking. and djr is right, we have *no* idea what this team is capable of when it's all said and done.

we might have a devaney-like resurgence next year after all.

I can't tell you how honored I am to know that I'm the guy that gave Hack a bogasm. :thumbs