Callahan calling the plays

bbhusker

Ok. This is just my opinion and feel free to chime in.

I don't believe that Watson ever had full control over calling plays, even when Callahan said he did. It just seemed to me the every time it was stated that Watson would be calling the plays, that we moved the ball mostly at will untill we got inside the redzone and then it was the same old three & out like Bill said, OK I'll take it from here. I have never seen any team have so many third & short situations or second & short situations and throw the damn ball! Lucky averaged over 5yds a carry last season. WTF! You have a hammer like Castille and can't get 1 or 2 yds. We need to do a better job of establishing the line of scrimmage this year. There is not a single team that can win championships at this level without having a respectable running game. Period.

I understand that we need to be able to throw the ball. But, when you are running all over a team (ex. Ok. State and Kanas in 06') Why stop? The best defense is a strong offense, and running the ball effectively controls the clock and keeps the other offense off the field. :rant

Sry, anyway, it just looked to me like Bill would take over the play calling and our offense would stall. It wasn't until the end of last year when Callahan was, "Concentrating on the defense", that we finally saw some hint of what we could do on O.

Nebraska ranked 7th in the country in red zone offense, scoring 90% of the time, 74% TD's.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/leader/nation...y27/sort01.html

I think thats the point, why be 7th when we could be 1st

Harsh! Actually, if you look at the web page, you'll see that not only was Nebraska 3% points different than #1 LSU, they ranked 1st in percentage of touchdowns.

Nebraska on offense had several problems, IMO. Too many penalties (see Mizzou game where Purify's long run after catch is called back in the 1st quarter. See delay of game on first play from scrimmage First Play? - same game). Too many interceptions (31). Too often Keller looking downfield for one receiver, then throwing it away because everyone in the stadium knew where he was throwing. Too much reliance on the pass (albeit you were trailing in many of the games), but passing yards were 2x rushing. Too many fumbles - 19 fumbles, 11 lost compared to 15/3 to opponents.

Just my observations.

Callahan seemed to out-think himself in 2nd/3rd and short situations, even though those are supposedly the best scenarios for his offense.

I agree with this statement. Callahan has a brilliant offensive mind, and constructed an offense that is a thing of beauty when clicking on all cylinders. However, sometimes he would try to outsmart a defense rather than just taking it to 'em.

Ok. This is just my opinion and feel free to chime in.

I don't believe that Watson ever had full control over calling plays, even when Callahan said he did. It just seemed to me the every time it was stated that Watson would be calling the plays, that we moved the ball mostly at will untill we got inside the redzone and then it was the same old three & out like Bill said, OK I'll take it from here. I have never seen any team have so many third & short situations or second & short situations and throw the damn ball! Lucky averaged over 5yds a carry last season. WTF! You have a hammer like Castille and can't get 1 or 2 yds. We need to do a better job of establishing the line of scrimmage this year. There is not a single team that can win championships at this level without having a respectable running game. Period.

I understand that we need to be able to throw the ball. But, when you are running all over a team (ex. Ok. State and Kanas in 06') Why stop? The best defense is a strong offense, and running the ball effectively controls the clock and keeps the other offense off the field. :rant

Sry, anyway, it just looked to me like Bill would take over the play calling and our offense would stall. It wasn't until the end of last year when Callahan was, "Concentrating on the defense", that we finally saw some hint of what we could do on O.

Nebraska ranked 7th in the country in red zone offense, scoring 90% of the time, 74% TD's.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/leader/nation...y27/sort01.html

To bad Nebraska never got near the red zone during the Oklahoma St, Texas A & M and Missouri game to make this statitic mean anything. <_<

I'm just hoping that whoever sent Cody Glen on a crucial 3rd and 2 (after he's been out for at least 4 games) in the Texas game is no longer deciding who plays and what play to call.

i agree with REDSTEEL, who wants someone calling the offense if they cant even put the correct players on the field, joe ganz threw for 987 less yards while starting 3 games to kellers 9, also ganz's rushing net was 93 while kellers was -78, to put it simply a big part of us being 7th in the total offensive stats can be credited to ganz or we might have been back in the 20s, all i can say is fate made javario burkes miss that block THANK GOD :horns2

Another thing I noticed was that while Ganz was in, he almost seemed hesitant to run. He's not the most athletic QB in the world, but he CAN run. Assuming he will be the QB next season, I think Ganz needs to run more. If the pocket collapses or there are huge areas of open field, he should just tuck the ball and run it. Make the defense pay for their mistakes. After a few 10-15 yard gains, the LBs would probably creep up to keep an eye on Ganz, which would open up the passing game a fair amount.

Just my opinion though...

You're bound to be a bit hesitant at first. Ganz did an adequete job rushing from the quarterback position. And by the KState game he was starting to try to direct his blockers during rushes. looked like the game was starting to slow down a bit for him maybe. Any hesitancy was probably due to not being the guy getting the reps in practice and so forth.

Now he'll have a full spring and fall with the majority of the reps, and the most playing time in games. Presumably so, anyway. I expect he'll be a bit rusty in the first game, but I'm sure it won't take long to get adjusted again.

I do know that I questioned alot of the play calling on 3rd and short (whoever was calling the plays), especially with someone like Castille in the backfield. It just never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

The few times he had the chance to prove himself on 3rd and short he fumbled.

I was wondering if anyone was going to remember that problem he had, for much of his time in the line up.

He seems to have all the tools to play the position, if he can just hang onto the ball.

GBR!!!

I do know that I questioned alot of the play calling on 3rd and short (whoever was calling the plays), especially with someone like Castille in the backfield. It just never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

The few times he had the chance to prove himself on 3rd and short he fumbled.

I was wondering if anyone was going to remember that problem he had, for much of his time in the line up.

He seems to have all the tools to play the position, if he can just hang onto the ball.

GBR!!!

agree. a good position coach can fix that ball carrying issue.

What if Callahan was the key to our offense? What if he wasn't a complete offensive moron? Time to think husker fan... Callahan was not a good coach and was a worse fit, but he knew the offense. It is easy to sit here now and say that Watson will be even better, but it is more realistic to think that the offense will not be as good.

*ducking out of the way*

I honestly think BC was so egotistical that when he was running the ball up someones arse 12 straight plays, he would ditch it and start passing it 12 straight plays just to say, "hey, we can, uh...move the ball, you know, competitively down the field in many, uh...you know, different ways."

When Nebraska was Nebraska we would run it 12 plays and if they weren't stopping it run it 12 more. We wouldn't fool around. I think that is what has everyone exicted about Pelini:

He seems like he just wants to win and not show everyone what a genius he is. No ego and no foolin around.

bill callahan knew how to run an offense: on that we can all agree on to a certain point.

it was managing defenses that killed his tenure at nebraska. or more specifically, WHO was managing his defense.

if the blackshirts would have held, this whole thread would be non-issue. callahan would still be our HC.

like bill in lincoln said, "offense wins championships, defense loses jobs."

I honestly think BC was so egotistical that when he was running the ball up someones arse 12 straight plays, he would ditch it and start passing it 12 straight plays just to say, "hey, we can, uh...move the ball, you know, competitively down the field in many, uh...you know, different ways."

When Nebraska was Nebraska we would run it 12 plays and if they weren't stopping it run it 12 more. We wouldn't fool around. I think that is what has everyone exicted about Pelini:

He seems like he just wants to win and not show everyone what a genius he is. No ego and no foolin around.

There is a lot of truth in this