ATH Shawn Bodtmann

From what they were saying on 1620 (I think Damon is pretty credible) this kid cut off contact with NU, not the other way around. They asked him to do several things and he simply did not hold up his end of the agreement. If Bo offers him a scholly and tells the kid that he needs to get updates from him every two weeks or he will be calling every so often to check up on him and see how things are going.... and the kid won't return calls or initiate contact what is the coaching staff supposed to do? If they ask him to send Senior year film by Jan 1 (this is hypothetical on my part but it sounds like these are the kind of things that led to this) and they send no film and the staff still cannot reach him, what exactly are they supposed to do?

Damon Benning likened it to a guy trying to get a job. If the job calls back to set up interviews or to work out details regarding when you start or to get your work papers in (like W2 and stuff) they will only call so many times. If you never get back to them and never answer when they call they will eventually move on. I can't imagine Damon would draw a comparison like that if he didn't know exactly what was going on. It would be very irresponsible of him, and I trust his crediblility. He was also quick to say that he doesn't blame the coach for sticking up for his player, but also said that the coach has to bare some of the responsability for not getting this kid to do his part. The coaches are a main go between.

It doesn't make sense for us to just let this kid go. He was looked at as a solid recruit who could eventually contribute and it's not like we have a ton of guys waiting in line to replace him. It looks like our recruiting is done with the possible exception of Eric Martin and maybe a few studs that probably aren't expected to sign with us.

Either way, it's unfortunate for the kid, but not exactly a bogus thing that our staff did. Benning also said that once the dead period is over he expects Pelini to comment on this case and explain why it went down the way it did.

Good enough for me for now.

GBR

Damon Benning likened it to a guy trying to get a job. If the job calls back to set up interviews or to work out details regarding when you start or to get your work papers in (like W2 and stuff) they will only call so many times. If you never get back to them and never answer when they call they will eventually move on. I can't imagine Damon would draw a comparison like that if he didn't know exactly what was going on. It would be very irresponsible of him, and I trust his brediblility. He was also quick to say that he doesn't blame the coach for sticking up for his player, but also said that the coach has to bare some of the responsability for not getting this kid to do his part. The coaches are a main go between.

It doesn't make sense for us to just let this kid go. He was looked at as a solid recruit who could eventually contribute and it's not like we have a ton of guys waiting in line to replace him. It looks like our recruiting is done with the possible exception of Eric Martin and maybe a few studs that probably aren't expected to sign with us.

Either way, it's unfortunate for the kid, but not exactly a bogus thing that our staff did. Benning also said that once the dead period is over he expects Pelini to comment on this case and explain why it went down the way it did.

Good enough for me for now.

GBR

The coach tried to get Bodtmann to contact us. He knew about this for weeks, which is why I said I don't understand why the coach is suddenly bashing us. He knew what was happening for quite a while.

Bodtmann was not a solid recruit. We have actively tried to get the kid a new home and no one will offer the kid. That should tell you alot, especially when you cannot get a kid an offer this late in the game. Right now teams are willing to take risks to fill slots, especially these smaller schools.

I know that's being tough of the kids talent, but it's the truth. I hope Bodtmann finds a home and excels there, but he was not a Big 12 caliber talent.

I really want to hear what Bo has to say about the situation....

I don't think Bo is a guy that likes to go into these kind of things, but when articles are coming out questioning the integrity of the program and we are getting bad PR it's his job to present an account of what went down. I know Bo's account won't make the rounds as readily as Shawn's/his coach's since it won't be scandalous and juicy but you gotta defend the program nonetheless.