Is Kansas going to snap their losing streak in Lincoln?

Who said you have no chance? Maybe someone did, but not me. They play the game, so everyone has a chance. I think your chance, if put to me now with what we know now, is 20-25%. I say the chance the game is close is more like 80%. Lots will change, but I see no cakewalk, and if we don't keep you down early, we could very much regret it later on the road. But I am not the Lord, I gotta wait like everyone else to see how it shakes out... I can tell you, in 2005 I knew we would break that streak, all of the real fans thought we would, that was the one year your fans rolled down after decades of picking up tickets outside at face or below and all of a sudden they could not get a ticket. For you all, it may not seem that noticeable, but we are now a very competitive program. We built a huge new football center this offseason. We have a good coach. Our talent is much deeper. We can be competitive with everyone we play. For people watching all the games (and I do) for manhy years, there is a major change underway. Not saying we are the Huskers in the form of some sort of dynasty, but things have changed a lot for us. We are actually a good program. I'll take that....

Yeah, it is now blocking the view from my son's frat's favorite tailgate spot on the hill. :angry:

Who said you have no chance? Maybe someone did, but not me. They play the game, so everyone has a chance. I think your chance, if put to me now with what we know now, is 20-25%. I say the chance the game is close is more like 80%. Lots will change, but I see no cakewalk, and if we don't keep you down early, we could very much regret it later on the road. But I am not the Lord, I gotta wait like everyone else to see how it shakes out... I can tell you, in 2005 I knew we would break that streak, all of the real fans thought we would, that was the one year your fans rolled down after decades of picking up tickets outside at face or below and all of a sudden they could not get a ticket. For you all, it may not seem that noticeable, but we are now a very competitive program. We built a huge new football center this offseason. We have a good coach. Our talent is much deeper. We can be competitive with everyone we play. For people watching all the games (and I do) for manhy years, there is a major change underway. Not saying we are the Huskers in the form of some sort of dynasty, but things have changed a lot for us. We are actually a good program. I'll take that....

Yeah, it is now blocking the view from my son's frat's favorite tailgate spot on the hill. :angry:

On the other hand it doesn't block their drinking :cheers

progress is a bugger :)

It's cool that you've been a Jayhawks fan even through all of the bad years. I still feel like KU fans will start dissapearing if they can't have another really good season. Do you honestly believe that Kansas will finish the season ranked in the top 10? Do you believe that they have a shot at making it to the Big XII championship game? If they are as good as they thought they were last year, then this is the year to prove it.

You can't honestly believe that your Jayhawks will come away with wins against all of these teams. Colorado, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texes Tech, and USF are all on the schedule. I doubt KU will even be in the top half of the North next year and as for the orginal question. Kansas will not snap their losing streak in Lincoln. People aren't giving the Huskers a shot, not because of talent, but because of what happened in Lawerence last year. They seemed to have forgotten that Kansas spanked the Huskers in Lawerence back in 2005, then lost in Lincoln in 2006. Kansas will NOT win in Lincoln! They do not have more talent than the Huskers.

this fact is lost to both KU and MU fans. I personally think we drop both games, but to act like we dont have a fighting chance is asinine. the chances of either team getting out of Lincoln without a total dogfight is slim to none.

I think 20 to 25 % is fair right now.... I think that 80% is a littlw low, but close can mean different things to different people.

Who said you have no chance? Maybe someone did, but not me. They play the game, so everyone has a chance. I think your chance, if put to me now with what we know now, is 20-25%. I say the chance the game is close is more like 80%. Lots will change, but I see no cakewalk, and if we don't keep you down early, we could very much regret it later on the road. But I am not the Lord, I gotta wait like everyone else to see how it shakes out... I can tell you, in 2005 I knew we would break that streak, all of the real fans thought we would, that was the one year your fans rolled down after decades of picking up tickets outside at face or below and all of a sudden they could not get a ticket. For you all, it may not seem that noticeable, but we are now a very competitive program. We built a huge new football center this offseason.

Yeah, I think it should be a good game in Lincoln. I have nothing against Kansas, well, maybe I do. But this is only because of last season's results. All I heard all season was how "awesome" they were. I don't mind Kansas doing good, but they had a simple schedule. I don't think it was because they oozed talent or that they were coached well, it was because they had a favorable schedule with average talent. You put that same exact team in this year's schedule, and there is no way they go 12-1.

That being said, this "cake" schedule happens in cycles. Some years are going to be tougher than others. I think Nebraska has a little more favorable schedule this season (a very good thing, we will need all the help we can get). We are at home for the first five games. This includes Virginia Tech and Missouri, which I am hoping we can win one of those two games (I think VT would help morale the most, which could carry-on to the Mizzou game). We also have you folks (Kansas) and Colorado at home.

I would say that NU would have a 25% shot at winning if we were not at home. I think being in Lincoln will increase our chances to about 35%. If our defense is average, or a little above average (which will be a HUGE improvement from last season), our chances increase to about 75%. Defense wins games. I am anxious to watch though. Should be a good game!

We have a good coach.

But for how long? His weight should be a concern for Jayhawk fans, especially considering how stressful coaching is. And I'm not saying this to be funny or sarcastic either, but if he doesn't lose weight, he's not going to last very long.

I don't think it was because they oozed talent or that they were coached well, it was because they had a favorable schedule with average talent. You put that same exact team in this year's schedule, and there is no way they go 12-1.

Being down here in the state of Kansas all that I heard about last year's off season was everything done with the KU team was competitive. Things like in summer pass drills, the group that had the most incompletes had to run gassers, and such. And it carried over the the regular season. The schedule helped a lot, but so did attitude.

And if someone from Kansas says they don't hate Nebraska, ask them "Why the statue on top of their capitol building is shooting arrows at us?"

Who said you have no chance? Maybe someone did, but not me. They play the game, so everyone has a chance. I think your chance, if put to me now with what we know now, is 20-25%. I say the chance the game is close is more like 80%. Lots will change, but I see no cakewalk, and if we don't keep you down early, we could very much regret it later on the road. But I am not the Lord, I gotta wait like everyone else to see how it shakes out... I can tell you, in 2005 I knew we would break that streak, all of the real fans thought we would, that was the one year your fans rolled down after decades of picking up tickets outside at face or below and all of a sudden they could not get a ticket. For you all, it may not seem that noticeable, but we are now a very competitive program. We built a huge new football center this offseason.

Yeah, I think it should be a good game in Lincoln. I have nothing against Kansas, well, maybe I do. But this is only because of last season's results. All I heard all season was how "awesome" they were. I don't mind Kansas doing good, but they had a simple schedule. I don't think it was because they oozed talent or that they were coached well, it was because they had a favorable schedule with average talent. You put that same exact team in this year's schedule, and there is no way they go 12-1.

That being said, this "cake" schedule happens in cycles. Some years are going to be tougher than others. I think Nebraska has a little more favorable schedule this season (a very good thing, we will need all the help we can get). We are at home for the first five games. This includes Virginia Tech and Missouri, which I am hoping we can win one of those two games (I think VT would help morale the most, which could carry-on to the Mizzou game). We also have you folks (Kansas) and Colorado at home.

I would say that NU would have a 25% shot at winning if we were not at home. I think being in Lincoln will increase our chances to about 35%. If our defense is average, or a little above average (which will be a HUGE improvement from last season), our chances increase to about 75%. Defense wins games. I am anxious to watch though. Should be a good game!

We have a good coach.

But for how long? His weight should be a concern for Jayhawk fans, especially considering how stressful coaching is. And I'm not saying this to be funny or sarcastic either, but if he doesn't lose weight, he's not going to last very long.

Yup. That is true. Rumor is he had a gastric bypass, we will see how it works for him.

Yup. That is true. Rumor is he had a gastric bypass, we will see how it works for him.

Maybe Charlie Weiss have him the name of a good doctor.

j/k

Actually, our AD, Lew Perkins had one. He looks like he is doing all right at least...

Having thought some more--like, for a minute--about the Big XII north, I am now inclined to say that it's not so much that Big Red's foes have gotten SO much better of late, it's more that the Huskers haven't been the level of team that we are accustomed to fielding, for, say, about 7 years now; that is, we are no longer THE dominant team.

Yeah, Miz-ZOO and the Flying Manginos have been making some noise and, of those two, I think the Tigs are further ahead in terms of establishing their legitimacy. KU still does not, to me, have the type of talent that whoos a person, but you have to give Mangino a ton of credit for being an excellent coach--and please, can we try to refrain from the cracks about his weight?

Look at the south: it's still OU and TX sharing the throne, with TTech, OSU, and aTm trying to establish themselves as challengers. Such is the situation with the north, except that NE has fallen from it's throne(though we still won the north division 2 yrs ago, don't forget) and the challengers are opportunistically pillaging for all that it's worth.

So, will Big Red return to it's rightful place as the clear king of the north in ensuing years? I think it's 65/35(if my computer calculations are correct--that adds up to a 100, right?) at this point. We cannot afford to have 3 consecutive coaching failures, not that Solich and Cali were COMPLETE faliures(also, I temper that remark with my observation of the Celtics for the last 10 crappy years out here, but look where they are now, and it's like their tradition never went away). NE's rep has taken a big hit such that KU, MU, and CU are making gains in recruiting. NE does not have the recruiting luxuries--so much--that TX and OU enjoy, yet we atill have our 'brand name' somewhat in tact.

However, 'kind'(?) Husker Fan, have faith in the BO-urne Supremacy!. If anyone can get us back to where we belong and put the would-be usurpers back in their proper place, it is BO P. But, suffice it to say, this is a pivotal time in Big Red history, cuz if for some reason BO doesn't git-r-dun, it is quite possible that NE will just fade into the category of 'also ran' in the conference--alas, in the nation. :wtf

Personally, I enjoy reminiscing about the good 'ol days of OZZIE Osbourne, etc., but that is wearing thin and it is not what I want to be doing 2-3 years from now. We need to create a new future of excellence, and hence a new history.... :restore:yeah:woo

Having thought some more--like, for a minute--about the Big XII north, I am now inclined to say that it's not so much that Big Red's foes have gotten SO much better of late, it's more that the Huskers haven't been the level of team that we are accustomed to fielding, for, say, about 7 years now; that is, we are no longer THE dominant team.

Yeah, Miz-ZOO and the Flying Manginos have been making some noise and, of those two, I think the Tigs are further ahead in terms of establishing their legitimacy. KU still does not, to me, have the type of talent that whoos a person, but you have to give Mangino a ton of credit for being an excellent coach--and please, can we try to refrain from the cracks about his weight?

Look at the south: it's still OU and TX sharing the throne, with TTech, OSU, and aTm trying to establish themselves as challengers. Such is the situation with the north, except that NE has fallen from it's throne(though we still won the north division 2 yrs ago, don't forget) and the challengers are opportunistically pillaging for all that it's worth.

So, will Big Red return to it's rightful place as the clear king of the north in ensuing years? I think it's 65/35(if my computer calculations are correct--that adds up to a 100, right?) at this point. We cannot afford to have 3 consecutive coaching failures, not that Solich and Cali were COMPLETE faliures(also, I temper that remark with my observation of the Celtics for the last 10 crappy years out here, but look where they are now, and it's like their tradition never went away). NE's rep has taken a big hit such that KU, MU, and CU are making gains in recruiting. NE does not have the recruiting luxuries--so much--that TX and OU enjoy, yet we atill have our 'brand name' somewhat in tact.

However, 'kind'(?) Husker Fan, have faith in the BO-urne Supremacy!. If anyone can get us back to where we belong and put the would-be usurpers back in their proper place, it is BO P. But, suffice it to say, this is a pivotal time in Big Red history, cuz if for some reason BO doesn't git-r-dun, it is quite possible that NE will just fade into the category of 'also ran' in the conference--alas, in the nation. :wtf

Personally, I enjoy reminiscing about the good 'ol days of OZZIE Osbourne, etc., but that is wearing thin and it is not what I want to be doing 2-3 years from now. We need to create a new future of excellence, and hence a new history.... :restore:yeah:woo

The Big Red's foes haven't gotten much better? When was the last time KU was in a BCS bowl? When was the last time MU finished the season ranked in the top 10? Both teams enter the preseason highly ranked. Yes, we have gotten worse. However, other teams in the North have gotten better and in some cases much better. With fewer schollies, teams are getting more and more on an even playing field. 10 years ago, we didn't see the upsets we saw last year. 10 years ago, Stanford doesn't beat USC. CU doesn't beat OU. Etc. IMO, the college game is getting closer and closer to the pro game. The team that stays healthy has the best chance. Look at West Virginia last year. When White and Slaton were healthy, they won. When they were hurt, they lost. Look how important Dixon was to Oregon. Whether this be good or bad, I'm not sure but it is what it is.

The Big Red's foes haven't gotten much better? When was the last time KU was in a BCS bowl? When was the last time MU finished the season ranked in the top 10? Both teams enter the preseason highly ranked. Yes, we have gotten worse. However, other teams in the North have gotten better and in some cases much better. With fewer schollies, teams are getting more and more on an even playing field. 10 years ago, we didn't see the upsets we saw last year. 10 years ago, Stanford doesn't beat USC. CU doesn't beat OU. Etc. IMO, the college game is getting closer and closer to the pro game. The team that stays healthy has the best chance. Look at West Virginia last year. When White and Slaton were healthy, they won. When they were hurt, they lost. Look how important Dixon was to Oregon. Whether this be good or bad, I'm not sure but it is what it is.

Yeah, I am fully aware of and have argued the parity point, which I think is valid, but what I'm mainly saying is that the only resaon KU and MU were able to get where they were last year was because NE was down. KU especially, to me, doesn't have any earthshaking talent, but they are well coached, disciplined--play well as a team. Had we had any semblence of a defense we might have won that game since normally 39 points will get you a win(which reminds me of the CU game). Mizzou probably has the best talent they have ever had, but OU took them out just as NE would havehad we been where we should have been.

I'm just throwing out a hypothesis that I think has some truth to it...

Yeah, I am fully aware of and have argued the parity point, which I think is valid, but what I'm mainly saying is that the only resaon KU and MU were able to get where they were last year was because NE was down. KU especially, to me, doesn't have any earthshaking talent, but they are well coached, disciplined--play well as a team. Had we had any semblence of a defense we might have won that game since normally 39 points will get you a win(which reminds me of the CU game). Mizzou probably has the best talent they have ever had, but OU took them out just as NE would havehad we been where we should have been.

I'm just throwing out a hypothesis that I think has some truth to it...

\What about Mizzou's beating Rose Bowl Illinois and WAXING SEC Arkansas. Too bad they did not match up with OU well.... (not really too bad for me)

The talent for KU and MU is a few years old, and you guys still got some of the better KC players. In 2007, you took Blake Lawrence out, and his brother is on our team. We just have coaches, ala Bill Snyder, who could find guys good enough to make progress anyway. We think there are 18 KU schollies this year and 11 are filled, that is unheard of for us. I would say in average quality, KU is just now getting the benefit of last year. It may have helped in late sigings last year and Juco tooo, but before that we were not beating out many Husker offers. Now we have Juco National player of the year, and last year finished strong, but don't look to Lawrence for missing Huskers. Now the BC exit caused recruitig losses, but more to MU, and that is a VERY recent trend as well.