Sipple: 8-4 reasonable

It's still ridiculous to think that we don't have talent, whether or not you follow recruiting sites or not (the ones who don't think we have talent, somehow seem to be the ones who DO follow them).

In 2008 we signed 28 players, less than six other schools listed in Scout's top 25 (we finished 21st). Our star rating was 2.86, which ranked 36th (still not a bad rank..).

In 2007 we signed 27 kids, less than six other schools once again, and ranked 21st. Our star rating ranked 19th.

In 2006 we signed 22 players (man that is so many), and ranked 29th. Our star rating was 17th at 3.27.

In 2005 we signed 31 players, which is actually the ONLY time we ranked in the top 5 of players taken, and finished 10th. Our star rating was a 3.23, which got us 16th.

So total over those years we have signed 108 kids, how many of them have quit or are head cases like you said? Certainly not even close to the majority. So I really don't see what you're talking about skersfan.

It seems as if some fans would rather focus on why we can't suceed than what we are doing right. We as a fan base need to allow the team and coaches time to instill the proper attitudes and ethics again. We need to cheer them on as they suceed and support them when they have failures, and they will have failures. But if we allow them to develop a program with work ethics and pride then win-loss records will take care of them selves regardless of recruiting. How many top ten recruiting classes did TO have?

Oh man.

Coach #1: Legendary coach "retires" replaced by hand-picked assistant.

Coach #2: New coach does OK, but not good enough for crazy fan base.

Coach #3: Replaced by outsider/mercenary with great recruiting and crappy coaching. Eventually wears out welcome with one too many disappointing seasons.

Coach #4: Replaced by guy from Ohio who was also on Coach #2s staff. His first season is mediocre, maybe even a step backwards, His second season they win the National Championship.

#1: Woody Hayes

#2: Earl Bruce

#3: John "Hall of Fame" Cooper

#4: Jim Tressel

Write it up kids. Nebraska national championship 2009!

John Cooper and Bill Callahan are about as similar to eachother as a pair of tube socks and a grapefruit. Cooper was a fantastic coach (111-43-4 record while at Ohio State), he just couldn't beat Michigan. Nice try though :thumbs

Heh heh. The way Cooper was teated around here you'd think he punched Woody Hayes in the face. I don't know about fantastic, but he was definitely a good college football coach, words that apparently will never be used to describe Bill Callahan.

Where does our average ranking come out at. Below the top 20 on average I would guess. As stated we do not have the talent of any program in the top 20 if you buy all that hog wash.

A lot of the top recruits have left, Beck, Jackson and the Kstate kid. Numerous others too if you go back and count them.

I still say we all seemed to think we had the greatest classes and it was more of a numbers game than real quality that the other majors were going after.

Talent is measured by heart, if you have seen heart out of these players you are seeing more than me.

Last year at this time some had us winning the NC, Keller being in the Hypsman hunt. Do you remember the Daily being on the Hypsman list after the spring game. Not one single magazine saw those credentials, just die hard Nebraska fans. Reality is we see more than there is. But most fans do. I hope you are right and we win every single game. That Lucky is they Hypsman, but my guess is we will be all happy if we end up 7-5 and playing in a bowl game. I know it will be a great day for me if that happens. Anything more at this time is just seeing through the Husker Red Glasses.

it was both, but more than anything the coaching and the merry-go-round of moving players by cally jacked up the team...that and his style of handling the kids was pathetic......even with less talent, we should play a better brand of football under Pelini....

It was the coaches. They recruited the talent, coached the Talent they brought in and couldn't motivate that talent. pu&&y practices breed pussies and that is how the defense played. I would bet that our team plays with a whole different attitude next year. Does that mean more victories, NO but it means a better shot at more victories and that is all we can ask for is effort and desire from the starters to the towel boys.

I have stated numerous times that I was not that terribly excited about the recruiting. That I felt we were getting the ones that others passed on. I questioned the selection of numerous players because of their past actions. That has been since day one. But I agree it was a combination of coaching, player selection and how those selected worked within the system.

I totally agree that we will be a better team this year. The key word team. I hope Bo can motivate these players. That will be the key. He has the ability to do it, if it can be done. I just state it will take a little longer than most on here think. That is not an attack on Bo in any way shape or form. I just think he bought damaged goods, how badly they are damaged will not be known until they play a real team.

it was both, but more than anything the coaching and the merry-go-round of moving players by cally jacked up the team...that and his style of handling the kids was pathetic......even with less talent, we should play a better brand of football under Pelini....

It was the coaches. They recruited the talent, coached the Talent they brought in and couldn't motivate that talent. pu&&y practices breed pussies and that is how the defense played. I would bet that our team plays with a whole different attitude next year. Does that mean more victories, NO but it means a better shot at more victories and that is all we can ask for is effort and desire from the starters to the towel boys.

This should definitely be a more aggressive, gang-tackling, fundamentally-sound, and motivated team. How that will result in terms of wins only time will tell. My prediction has been 8-4 for some time, which is what I think we would've had in '07 with an actual D and Ganz getting his shot earlier when the O hit a slump.

Oh man.

Coach #1: Legendary coach "retires" replaced by hand-picked assistant.

Coach #2: New coach does OK, but not good enough for crazy fan base.

Coach #3: Replaced by outsider/mercenary with great recruiting and crappy coaching. Eventually wears out welcome with one too many disappointing seasons.

Coach #4: Replaced by guy from Ohio who was also on Coach #2s staff. His first season is mediocre, maybe even a step backwards, His second season they win the National Championship.

#1: Woody Hayes

#2: Earl Bruce

#3: John "Hall of Fame" Cooper

#4: Jim Tressel

Write it up kids. Nebraska national championship 2009!

John Cooper and Bill Callahan are about as similar to eachother as a pair of tube socks and a grapefruit. Cooper was a fantastic coach (111-43-4 record while at Ohio State), he just couldn't beat Michigan. Nice try though :thumbs

Mack Brown is John Cooper without the MSU upset win that kept them from the MNC the year they beat ASU in the Rose. Beat MSU at home and Cooper is locked in like Mack (Can't beat Stoops but I get 10 wins vs WEAK comp) Brown.

I just think he bought damaged goods, how badly they are damaged will not be known until they play a real team.

I agree that the major lingering problem here will be a quitter mentality.

The major question for me is, is that mentality a result of recruiting fragile players, in which case there's only so much Bo can do (which I think is your contention), or is it a result of BC mishandling the team and depressing morale by treating them more like NFL players than 18-22 year olds, in which case there's probably a lot Bo can do to turn things around?

I think we'll only know after we lose a game and can see how the team responds...

I think BC Nudeheiseled our team. He took an aggressive D and made it passive aggressive. Anyone remember how soft CU was under Nudeheisel? We were terrible last year on the turnover margin. Our D just played way too passive. If we put more emphasis on running the ball and our D plays much more aggressive, I don't see us losing like we did last year. We may not have any better record than last year, but I don't see KU or anyone else putting 70+ points up on us.

I think BC Nudeheiseled our team. He took an aggressive D and made it passive aggressive. Anyone remember how soft CU was under Nudeheisel? We were terrible last year on the turnover margin. Our D just played way too passive. If we put more emphasis on running the ball and our D plays much more aggressive, I don't see us losing like we did last year. We may not have any better record than last year, but I don't see KU or anyone else putting 70+ points up on us.

CU, word he did make them soft, and at UW, he turned the #3 ranked dawgs into the pups before he was run out early. Hopefully he won't mess up Walker at UCLA.

Where does our average ranking come out at. Below the top 20 on average I would guess. As stated we do not have the talent of any program in the top 20 if you buy all that hog wash.

A lot of the top recruits have left, Beck, Jackson and the Kstate kid. Numerous others too if you go back and count them.

I still say we all seemed to think we had the greatest classes and it was more of a numbers game than real quality that the other majors were going after.

Talent is measured by heart, if you have seen heart out of these players you are seeing more than me.

Last year at this time some had us winning the NC, Keller being in the Hypsman hunt. Do you remember the Daily being on the Hypsman list after the spring game. Not one single magazine saw those credentials, just die hard Nebraska fans. Reality is we see more than there is. But most fans do. I hope you are right and we win every single game. That Lucky is they Hypsman, but my guess is we will be all happy if we end up 7-5 and playing in a bowl game. I know it will be a great day for me if that happens. Anything more at this time is just seeing through the Husker Red Glasses.

how about doing a little research ?

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Y...pe=0&Sort=0

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?p...0&year=2007

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?p...0&year=2006

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?p...0&year=2005

so 30th last year, 13th in 07, 20th in 06, and 5th in 04

that comes out to an average of 17th over the past 4 years.

you can say a lot about the teams the last few years, but talent was there, and it still is. that in and of itself is not enough, and thats why we lost. anyone who has had any type of association with sports has seen this 1000 times over. the talent is there but the team is still bad. I'm not saying that we are top five talent or anything like that, but there is certainly enough talent to win 7-8 games. the question is how quickly bo can get them all on the same page.

can we stop this "no talent" crusade you are on? its embarrassing