SIGNED: QB Cody Green

I think the true triple option is dead at NU. Nobody will ever run it as well as Osborne did, so it'd also be much as effective than Husker fans remember it. Now we might see an occassional triple option along with some zone-read and other option plays, but I doubt it will become the bread-and-butter of the offense. I look forward to a more physical, smash-mouth running attack along with a more balanced passing attack.

I don't understand why people think the triple option was the bread-and-butter of TO's offense..

On a typical 80 yard drive under TO you would probably see the option three, MAYBE four times, with at least six running plays and two or three pass plays.

If we're talking about Solich though, I can understand that argument.

I don't understand why people think the triple option was the bread-and-butter of TO's offense..

On a typical 80 yard drive under TO you would probably see the option three, MAYBE four times, with at least six running plays and two or three pass plays.

If we're talking about Solich though, I can understand that argument.

Unless Ahman Green goes the distance with the option on the first play from scrimmage against "war drum" Neuheisal (might have been a sweep. A little groggy after last night)

With Green coming next year will the option offense be reborn too? I hope so. What does everyone else thing. :restore

What kind of option offense are you referring to? Triple option? Probably not. Spread offense, which is an "option" offense. Then probably. I'd think the offense would resemble much of the last 3 games played last year. A lot of a W.C. style with zone reads out of the shotgun mixed in.

Hopefully we do start to use it more but still have power running as our "bread and butter" offense. The spread option will be what we use I would imagine. Just look what it did to OU in the bowl game last season. We will still have to be able to move the ball through the air too to be successfull. Yeah, balanced attack, thats what I'm trying to say. Good lord.

Hopefully we do start to use it more but still have power running as our "bread and butter" offense. The spread option will be what we use I would imagine. Just look what it did to OU in the bowl game last season. We will still have to be able to move the ball through the air too to be successfull. Yeah, balanced attack, thats what I'm trying to say. Good lord.

Watson has already cut half of Callahan's playbook. This season should be the best of what works with a healthier run blocking scheme and plays that accentuate our key backs. If Green ends up being our stud I think we'll see an almost immediate integration of spread-option concepts. And then, season by season, it'll evolve into whatever Pelini's master plan happens to be. Oregon's doing all right.

more recruits coming with green?

maybe...

Football: QB commitment may lure others

BY JON NYATAWA

Published Friday July 11, 2008

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

post-340-1216106576.jpg

LINCOLN — The most recent addition to Nebraska's 2009 class isn't planning on contacting as many uncommitted prospects as he can.

Cody Green's early commitment to Nebraska is the fifth by an out-of-state quarterback in the past five years.

Cody Green, the high-profile quarterback from Dayton, Texas, wants to let them make their own decisions.

Yet he can transform into a full-fledged Nebraska recruiter when prompted.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder picked NU Wednesday over several national suitors, including his original favorite, Texas A&M.

As Nebraska's sixth 2009 commitment, Green said he's willing to help increase that total, as long as he's asked for advice.

He's teammates at Dayton High School with another touted prospect, A.J. Dugat, a wide receiver who's committed to Texas Christian's 2009 class. So far, Dugat hasn't indicated he's planning to rethink his college choice, Green said. Last time the two seniors-to-be talked, Green said Dugat didn't want to go far from home.

But Green said he's already heard that as many as three other wide receivers in the state may be considering Nebraska.

According to Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jeremy Crabtree, Green — like any other high-profile recruit with some coveted playmaking potential — has the power to attract uncommitted prospects without doing any work.

"You get an impact quarterback in your class, and it makes recruiting other skill position players, other offensive and defensive guys, a little easier," Crabtree said. "These kids are all very aware of who each other are now. They're able to look him up. They can see his film.

"Throw in all the types of communication, and the geographic borders have kind of been brought down."

Nebraska would need a bevy of immediate commitments to catch up to the Big 12 recruiting leaders.

According to Rivals.com, Texas A&M has landed 20 recruits for 2009, Texas has 19, Oklahoma has 14, and Missouri and Kansas have 13 apiece.

But every school has a different strategy, Crabtree said.

"Nebraska's in a certain geographic situation where they sometimes have to go out and battle in other areas of the country," Crabtree said. "Let's wait and see how this develops. This staff knows what type of players they want."

Green said the NU coaches did an impressive job of recruiting him, one reason he ultimately chose the Huskers. But he also liked the idea that he could step in and make an impact right away.

"It's either sitting on the bench for two more years or sitting on the bench for maybe a year and then getting a chance," he said. "That's a big one right there, if you're an athlete in any sport."

Green plans to graduate in December and join the Huskers next spring. But even one day after committing, he's already receiving support from Nebraska's fan base.

"I think I met or heard from half the Nebraska population through MySpace and Facebook," Green said Thursday night. "But I've also heard from A&M fans. I've heard a lot of negative stuff from them.

"But that's how it goes. Somebody's going to be happy and somebody's going to be mad."

Green, who missed most of his junior year with torn ligaments in his right ankle, isn't sure if he'll be fully healthy this fall, but said "there's no way that'll keep me off the field."

• Contact the writer: 402-473-9585, jon.nyatawa@owh.com

not thrilled with fans stalking him via facebook and myspace. not cool guys.