Game Breakdown NU VS KU

JGS30

I started this thread in an attempt to break down match ups in this week's game.

I'm interested in the play up front between the Huskers O-line and the Jayhawks D-line. I think this match up may decide the game. KU did a great job of pressuring the QB last week and look to continue that again with Jake Laptad coming off the end. KU is very young in the middle with Greene, Parish and Johnson Jr. all 3 freshman and all 3 see significant time on the defensive line. I curious to see how they handle the more experienced Husker O-line. I really think Nebraska will be able to run the ball: the question is-will they stick with it? Teams all year have had success running the ball against KU, but for some reason, they abandon it and try to throw. Last week, KSU was having some good success in the first half running the ball and went away from it way to early in my opinion. This will be a good match up.

Another fun match up will be between the Husker receivers and Kansas DB's. Kansas is starting two new corners who have only started at that position the last 2 games. However, they showed significant improvement, and seem to be gelling quite well. Watch Justin Thorton (big, physical corner) play a significant role, and may very well cover Swift. Patterson (true freshman) is opposite of Thorton and played well against KSU. I can see Nebraska trying to pick on him early. He is a little undersized at 5'8. I won't lie, I haven't been impressed with Nebraska's receivers this year. I think they're very down from last season. They seem to struggle getting seperation and it's dissapointing to see.

Thoughts or other key match ups???

We should win this, but our teams are almost mirror images of each other...

but I think we are better coached and will execute much better than the

skers. From what I have seen all season (Even Ttech) NU plays sloppy. We

should get some turnovers and penalties that go KU's way.

Sup JG,

Usually whoever dominates the line of scrimmage has the edge. Considering the NU O-line and KU's d-line, I think it's pretty even. Could be without our best lineman (Murtha). Neither line is overly dominating this year. So it's a wash.

I think the Huskers have the advantage with our wideouts & tight ends against your secondary and back 7. Not by much, but the experience is there. And some of your guys are slow.

I think the QB situation - the edge goes to Reesing. I just like the way he plays. He's accurate on the short routes, and throws a nice ball downfield. And he is difficult to sack. He seems to move around enough in the pocket to find someone down field. I like Ganz to have some success as well, but he has to bring his A game. And sometimes it takes a qtr for him to get his rhythm. When he is on, he is as good as any. So we'll see about that.

Both teams should score points. Both secondarys will get torched at times. It'll be interesting & I'm excited about it.

The Kansas D-Line can't pressure anybody without the benefit of the blitz...and don't scoff because I listened to all the yelling going on over the headsets.

Possession receivers like Swift and Peterson are going to drive your young corners up the wall. Young guys tend to give too much cushion and play not to get beat deep. Ganz is going to kill them with short outs to the flat all day.

If KU goes the blitz route, Lucky and whoever plays TE pops them with screens and quick hitters over the middle...don't forget that the Huskers have recently discovered that they have a TE and they seem determined to use him now and then.

Basically...I think NU picks apart KU with a short, solid ball-control offense.

One player to keep a close eye on is Tichner. From what I've seen, Kansas has trouble when they start real deep in their own territory. The running game is lacking and other teams nickle and dime you to death. If NU keeps KU pinned deep in their own territory...big plus for NU.

Oh..and kill Meier. Without him, Reesing is nothing special. With him...they have a chance to demolish you.

Good points, Cy.

Meier is the first down killer. He's the dedicated short route threat, while Brisco is the middle to deep threat. Brisco is something the Huskers need to develope: A guy that can haul in a 5 yard pass and take it to the house. I think Brisco has a future in the NFL. He impresses me.

I think this is going to be a great game. I think whoever has the ball last is going to win in a shootout. Not a pretty day for defensive enthusiasts, but should be a fun game to watch. I think Reesing will routinely escape pressure and frustrate Pelini's defense. Like Cy mentioned, the Huskers will routinely burn the KU defense with short routes. I think whoever wins the turnover battle, wins the game. If NU can get an INT or 2, they win, if Ganz gives it up, KU wins.

Good points by all of you. I know it's always said-but this game will be decided by turnovers. I still can't make a prediction. I'll probably make mine tomorrow. The KU defense bends but doesn't break. Well, of course they broke against Tech and OU-but who doesn't?

I can see this game being a lot like the 2006 game in Lincoln. High scoring, with lots of passing yards. I'm still not sold on NU's receivers. No real playmaker that scares me. However, the KU secondary hasn't been ganbusters by any stretch. So I see this as a toss up. I disagree about the comment that KU's defense is slow. They're not slow in the back seven, in fact, Darrel Stuckey is a legit 4.4 40 as a Safety. The probelm is (I think Cy pointed this out) that KU's defenders are young and tend to give receivers HUGE cushions. It's been a problem all year. Chris Harris was demoted to nickel back because of his cushions and inconsistency at corner. I'm interested in watching Patterson play corner. He'll be tested early and often by Nebraska.

I really like Ganz. He has great pocket presence and should have a big day. And having Reesing, well, he is the reason we've won as many as we have. I really think that without him, we would be a sub 500 team. He is critical to our success. And Meir and Briscoe have been producing all year. I see them both having great games.

Both QB's are going to have a field day. I expect both Reesing and Ganz to have 350+. I dont expect our run game to do anything, they havent done anything all year so why start now. This is going to be an aerial shootout that will come down to penalties and turnovers. If we dont rack up 75 yds in penalties i expect to win this and it will probably come down to whoever has the ball last.