SIGNED: CB Lazarri Middleton

Talking to some guys that live in cali say he is going to be a solid college DB, not great but a talented guy who could probably start a couple years.

I think it is according to what we do defensively. If we go back more to a cover 2 style scheme which Pelini likes, Lazarri could play early for us as that is what he is used to.

Kid can play in any scheme, just has to work on his press skills as his HS does not make him do hardly any.

Team didn't have a good last game:

Most impressive team: Grant (Sacramento, Calif.) [Poly's bowl opponent]

Centennial (Corona, Calif.) knocked off a legendary program in De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) and deserves to be ranked the No. 1 team in the state. That being said, the team that I was most impressed with was Grant.

It was interesting to listen to the Poly faithful leading up to this game. Despite needing fourth quarter comebacks in every round of the playoffs, including round one, there was this belief that Poly was going to play its best game of the playoffs against Grant and blow them off the field.

I was sitting with all Poly backers and the comments I heard right before kick off were all the same. "We're way too fast for these guys ... these guys can't match our size ... 'we're going to wear them down ... they don't have our depth." It went on and on and not one person there believed Grant would even keep the game competitive.

When Grant jogged on to the field, you wondered if the offense or defense was still back in the locker room. When Poly came out, it looked like Poly sent their freshman and junior varsity team along with their varsity. Poly must have had over 100 kids on the sideline, Grant looked like they had barely over 40. But what Grant lacked in quantity, it more than made up for in quality. Its top 22 players were clearly superior to Poly's 22 and this game was not a fluke. If the two teams played each other five times, I would bet Grant would win at least three of them.

Defensively, Grant had eight and sometimes nine guys in the box and completely shut down Poly's running game. Poly did hit one deep ball but that was basically it as Grant's corners were running stride for stride and were in perfect position with Poly's receivers all game. The eight and nine man fronts dominated the Poly offensive line and again, minus one big play, shut down every running lane.

On the other side of the ball, Poly's corners, usually a strength, made some uncharacteristic mistakes in the first half and the Jackrabbits could have easily given up 28 points by halftime.

Grant was even able to move the ball on the ground late in the second half and junior running back Devontae Booker looks like the real deal and will be a high D-I prospect next year. Ironically, I thought Poly's size and depth would wear down Grant late in the game but the opposite happened. Grant looked fresher in the fourth quarter and Poly's defense looked tired.

Poly had flirted with disaster for the last month and it finally caught up to them. Grant showed they belonged among the state's elite and with the underclassmen they have coming back, should contend for a state title once again next year.

• 2 weeks later...