SIGNED: CB Lazarri Middleton

Has the right attitude:

A banner season of Big 12 football helped earn Nebraska a recruit on Monday.

Cornerback Lazarri Middleton, a first-year starter at powerhouse Long Beach (Calif.) Poly High School, picked the Huskers without visiting Lincoln over SMU and Idaho State. He will sign a letter of intent in February.

The league's reputation and his research made the difference.

"I like to compete," Middleton said. "Coming from Poly, it's given me a competitive attitude. If you see a cornerback shut down a Michael Crabtree (of Texas Tech), that's going to open some eyes - a lot more than doing it against some Conference USA receiver."

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Middleton visited SMU last weekend. He received interest but no scholarship offer from UCLA. Regardless, he said, he was set on the Huskers.

"Bo Pelini has a plan," Middleton said. "He has a defensive mentality. He knows what needs to happen. If the other team doesn't score, you're going to win."

Middleton's pledge gives Nebraska 19 known commitments, minus defensive end Emerson Evans of Houston, who is unlikely to qualify academically.

The NU class of 2009 includes four Californians.

Long Beach Poly (13-0) will play Saturday at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., for a second straight sectional title. Poly has finished among the Top 25 nationally, as ranked by USA Today, eight times since 1997 and won six sectional crowns over that time.

Middleton called secondary coach Marvin Sanders Monday to inform Nebraska of his decision. He is unranked as a prospect by rivals.com and scout.com.

FROM ESPN:

Nebraska too good of opportunity for Middleton to pass up

After taking his first official visit over the weekend to SMU, Long Beach Poly (Calif.) defensive back Lazarri Middleton came home and decided to commit ... to another school.

Middleton has been on the fast track the past few months. He's a big corner with good speed and after a strong senior season, college coaches have been all over him.

SMU was the first school to offer Middleton and then Nebraska followed suit just a week ago. The corner visited the Mustangs, but said he knew his heart with with Nebraska.

"I did a lot of research about Nebraska as soon as they offered me," Middleton said. "My family and I really looked in to them and they have so much to offer as a program and a school.

"Nebraska is big time football and I love the Big 12. They throw the ball like crazy and if you're a corner, that's what you're looking for. I want an opportunity to make plays and you have that in the Big 12. The academic support is great as well and the tradition the school has and how passionate the fans are, it was all too much to pass up."

Middleton said he enjoyed his visit to SMU and had nothing but positive things to say about the program.

"Honestly, the visit couldn't have gone any better," Middleton said. "I loved the people I met there. The players and coaches were all great with me. SMU would have been a great option and I'm glad I took the visit but Nebraska is just where my heart was at."

FROM ESPN:

Nebraska too good of opportunity for Middleton to pass up

After taking his first official visit over the weekend to SMU, Long Beach Poly (Calif.) defensive back Lazarri Middleton came home and decided to commit ... to another school.

Middleton has been on the fast track the past few months. He's a big corner with good speed and after a strong senior season, college coaches have been all over him.

SMU was the first school to offer Middleton and then Nebraska followed suit just a week ago. The corner visited the Mustangs, but said he knew his heart with with Nebraska.

"I did a lot of research about Nebraska as soon as they offered me," Middleton said. "My family and I really looked in to them and they have so much to offer as a program and a school.

"Nebraska is big time football and I love the Big 12. They throw the ball like crazy and if you're a corner, that's what you're looking for. I want an opportunity to make plays and you have that in the Big 12. The academic support is great as well and the tradition the school has and how passionate the fans are, it was all too much to pass up."

Middleton said he enjoyed his visit to SMU and had nothing but positive things to say about the program.

"Honestly, the visit couldn't have gone any better," Middleton said. "I loved the people I met there. The players and coaches were all great with me. SMU would have been a great option and I'm glad I took the visit but Nebraska is just where my heart was at."

Very nice to hear

I know this doesn't matter in the real world but do you think Rivals or Scout will ever rate this kid?

I kind of like watching us climb the ranking with each recruit and he doesn't have any stars (at least last time I looked).

Once again, I realize it doesn't mean anything....but it does to me. <_<

I know this doesn't matter in the real world but do you think Rivals or Scout will ever rate this kid?

I kind of like watching us climb the ranking with each recruit and he doesn't have any stars (at least last time I looked).

I was once a star gazer, I am no longer one anymore. With saying that if a college/HC has a concrete system/development/ plan to utilize players it negates everything. Speed is speed whether it be a 2 star or 5 star. Same with athleticm. A high vertical is another indicator, almost better then the 40 times the services put out.

By all accounts I've heard Middleton will be rated by rivals a solid 3 star ranging from 5.5-5.7 range.

But if somehow he ends up at USC make that a 5.8, 4 star. Sadly it's been proven and Tom Lemming was ousted from ESPN because of that...........cough, cough in 2005.

I think we have a very, very good chance with him. He is a tall rangy guy who could provide us with some size and athleticism at the CB position.

(Sorry first link did not take but check this one out guys!)

Hey guys I understand your concerns but when looking at his currrent stats, profile and pure athleticism we have to give this kid a fair shot.

Also have you seen the new youtube of him?

My gosh guys he is a beast!

I really hope we get this guy before someone else does.....

As a true husker fan since I can remember, we need this!!!!

Dude is a beast.He will be a 5.6-5.7 3 star by rivals but imho his upside is even higher

Rivals will rate him now mostly based on the fact he got a offer from Nebraska he will be a minimum 2 star...

Obviously the stars can mean something because some guys are just great football players and it is clear that they will do well, but a lot of those high rated guys are the best football player they will ever be coming out of HS while others mature and just start to tap their potential in college.

Hopefully this guy can be like a Aqib Talib who was very little known coming out of HS and turned into a star.

I was once a star gazer, I am no longer one anymore. With saying that if a college/HC has a concrete system/development/ plan to utilize players it negates everything. Speed is speed whether it be a 2 star or 5 star. Same with athleticm. A high vertical is another indicator, almost better then the 40 times the services put out.

By all accounts I've heard Middleton will be rated by rivals a solid 3 star ranging from 5.5-5.7 range.

But if somehow he ends up at USC make that a 5.8, 4 star. Sadly it's been proven and Tom Lemming was ousted from ESPN because of that...........cough, cough in 2005.

I AM still a star-gazer, because there is a pretty reliable relationship between the strength of a school's recruiting classes and its success on the field.

That said, I'm most concerned about speed. We need more speed on this team, and even if we take a raw player who can fly, I'm willing to go with that.

I AM still a star-gazer, because there is a pretty reliable relationship between the strength of a school's recruiting classes and its success on the field.

That said, I'm most concerned about speed. We need more speed on this team, and even if we take a raw player who can fly, I'm willing to go with that.

Both of your arguments hold water, and I agree. However TT (Leach) Johnson (GT) know exactly what they want in players for their system stars regardless. This is where stars are neutralized to a degree.

One thing I will give Solich is that he went after speed players regardless of stars. He understood what type of athlete was needed to play in this league-he was apart of championship/speed teams. He recruited players that played x position in the HS level and moved them to Y position to be successful because of the speed factor. I am mostly in the minority that thought Solich recruited better/faster athletes then Cally did. Cally got the stars, but they were the wrong kind of stars for the Big 12 (Big 10 players). It's no wonder that the current team is the slowest NU team that I've seen in quite some time.

Didn't mean to pick at that scab in the process.