Could Tebow start for Nebraska?

He could start at nearly any NFL franchise he wants too, course he'd a been the starter here.

Really? I'm not so sure on that. Not really an NFL guy. Is he better than Vince Young in college, I don't think so. Now realize that and then look at Vince Young right now. Name me one QB from a spread-type run first offense that has been a success in the NFL. There isn't one, save Michael Vick if you count him. Maybe Tebow can do it, but he doesn't have the accuracy or arm strength VY had in college, so how he could start for any team I don't understand.

Randall Cunningham? Was Syracuse still running the QB alot when McNabb was there (or am I thinking about someone else). Was Colorado still running the QB when Kordell Stewart was there? (OK I guess the question was success, but he did lead a team to the playoffs.)

read the bold print, not around in the 80s or the early to mid 90s.

He could start at nearly any NFL franchise he wants too, course he'd a been the starter here.

Really? I'm not so sure on that. Not really an NFL guy. Is he better than Vince Young in college, I don't think so. Now realize that and then look at Vince Young right now. Name me one QB from a spread-type run first offense that has been a success in the NFL. There isn't one, save Michael Vick if you count him. Maybe Tebow can do it, but he doesn't have the accuracy or arm strength VY had in college, so how he could start for any team I don't understand.

Yeah most project him as an H-Back in the NFL. And yes he could start for NU over Ganz, easily. Especially the Zone Read offense NU ran this year. Right up his alley as a dual threat. And for the recruiting process, wasn't he the one that had the TV special on him in Florida as a Senior? If so I thought he said in that show that he grew up a Gator fan and his dream was to go to Florida, wasn't really a doubt I don't think in the end.

My point being that he's more than qualified to start for NU. As far as the NFL goes, I don't know, I can think of alot teams off the top of my head that would probably take him in a heartbeat; Detroit, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Minnesota, Seatle, Oakland, KC, Chicago

Randall Cunningham? Was Syracuse still running the QB alot when McNabb was there (or am I thinking about someone else). Was Colorado still running the QB when Kordell Stewart was there? (OK I guess the question was success, but he did lead a team to the playoffs.)

read the bold print, not around in the 80s or the early to mid 90s.

Well Culpepper ran the spread around the same time but it was pass oriented.

Yeah most project him as an H-Back in the NFL. And yes he could start for NU over Ganz, easily. Especially the Zone Read offense NU ran this year. Right up his alley as a dual threat. And for the recruiting process, wasn't he the one that had the TV special on him in Florida as a Senior? If so I thought he said in that show that he grew up a Gator fan and his dream was to go to Florida, wasn't really a doubt I don't think in the end.

My point being that he's more than qualified to start for NU. As far as the NFL goes, I don't know, I can think of alot teams off the top of my head that would probably take him in a heartbeat; Detroit, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Minnesota, Seatle, Oakland, KC, Chicago

Cincinatti? You think he's better than Carson Palmer, holy sh#t.

Seattle? Ever heard of Matt Hasselbeck?

Oakland? Just drafted JaMarcus Russell, remember the last big thing from college

Cleveland? Brady Quinn? come on, you really think Tebow is a better NFL type QB than Quinn was at the same point in their careers.

Minnesota already has a run first learn to throw QB that is faster in Jackson.

KC--I could see that argument, they are rebuilding.

Chicago--think they'd rather have somebody more ready like Stafford or Bradford. NFL ready to match with that defense and RB

Detroit would just for interest, plus they are terrible at QB.

Unless you were talking about as an Hback, than you are completely right.

Sounds like you agree Matt in his little debate on the matter:

http://www.walterfootball.com/tebow.php

Matt: Walter, Tim Tebow is not an elite prospect by any means. I doubt he will be even drafted in the first round.

Walt: Tim Tebow's currently one of the top prospects eligible for the 2009 Draft. You may not like him, and you may think he'll be a bust, but that's just your opinion. Personally, I think he'll be great. But that has nothing to do with why he's such a heralded prospect.

Matt: why do you like Tebow? Because he runs around, which he won't do in the NFL? Do you like his Leftwich-slow release? How overrated he is because the scheme makes him look better than what he actually is, similarly to Alex Smith?

Walt: But Alex Smith did go No. 1, and Tebow is 500 times the quarterback Smith ever was. I don't get how he's not the No. 1 prospect.

Matt: How is Tebow better than Smith was AS A PROSPECT, much less 500 times better? You like Tebow's size, his arm, how he runs around... but it takes more than that to be a quarterback, and I am telling you his passing skills are so raw it isn't funny.

The spread option makes him look so much better than he actually is because defenses have to take account for the run, the misdirection, reverses, etc. Things will change for Tebow in the NFL like they did for Smith. More

I believe this is a shot at the anti-Tebow crowd or at least I think it is.

NU would be lucky to have a player the caliber of Tebow running the team. Like him or not but he is a special college football player plan and simple.

I believe Nebraska was still in the running for him until Urban Meyer was named coach at Florida. The ultimate what if had Callahan landed him.

The five schools who are listed as getting visits from him on the Rivals and Scout site are Florida, USC, LSU, Michigan, and Bama.

Last visit date was USC 12/2/05

NU was never in the running for his services.........

Maybe if we had more lepers, children with aids, famine and goats needing castrated....he would have spent some more quality time here.

I'm all for good stories and the good guys in the game (god knows there's enough thugs, egomaniacs and criminals in the league)....but I was ready to mug someone by the end of the game just because I must be that bad of a person compared to what they repeated over and over about Tebow.

Or to look at it another way:

Of course Tebow could run this offense. He would run better than Ganz (but Ganz ain't bad), not pass quite as sharply, but make fewer interceptions.

And when we all come back to this post in a few years, it remains entirely possible that Ganz is playing somewhere in the NFL while Tebow is not.

That's not a slam on Tebow. It's just a simple fact of Heisman winners.

Tebow won't last more than two years in the NFL. But when he washes out, it will be spun by the media so that he will look like a guy who is too good for the league and has bigger, better, more Christ-like things to do. People are so desperate for heroes.

You like Tebow's size, his arm, how he runs around... but it takes more than that to be a quarterback, and I am telling you his passing skills are so raw it isn't funny.

SO true.

OK, I hate the Gators. I'm sick of the deluge of ball-washing that Urban Meyer and Tebow get from the Media. But, I have to admit that Tim Tebow has put himself in the conversation of the greatest college QBs of all time (not THE greatest; not better than Frazier). He may or may not be a great pro, but that doesn't discount what he has been able to accomplish.

So we're comparing one of the greatest college players of all time with a guy that arguably wouldn't crack the all time top-5 NU QBs...Yeah, I think he could have started for the Huskers.

Cincinatti? You think he's better than Carson Palmer, holy sh#t.

Seattle? Ever heard of Matt Hasselbeck?

Oakland? Just drafted JaMarcus Russell, remember the last big thing from college

Cleveland? Brady Quinn? come on, you really think Tebow is a better NFL type QB than Quinn was at the same point in their careers.

Minnesota already has a run first learn to throw QB that is faster in Jackson.

KC--I could see that argument, they are rebuilding.

Chicago--think they'd rather have somebody more ready like Stafford or Bradford. NFL ready to match with that defense and RB

Detroit would just for interest, plus they are terrible at QB.

Unless you were talking about as an Hback, than you are completely right.

Hasselbeck: Threw 5 tds versus 10 picks with a qb rating of 57 on a 4-12 team. He's 33 and missed nine games with back and knee injuries.

Palmer: Going into his eighth season after missing nearly all of last year UCL tear to his throwing elbow, and after coming back from what was called 'a devasting and potentially career ending injury' in 06 (I think it was 06 anyway). Granted two pro bowls are tough to argue with, but , even prior to the elbow injury he wasn't exactly lighting up the league. If I'm the Cincy GM I wouldn't mind having a Tebow learn under Palmer for a season or two.

Quinn: Eh, allright, I'll give you Quin. Have to see how he does with his finger fully healed, and under his new coach. Think he had like three starts at the end of the season, pretty so-so, although he looked really good against Den in his first start - then again so did everyone else.

Yes. nothing more needs to be said.

Yes, and Clemson, and any other college football team in the nation, and possibly some pro teams (Vikings are one right off the top of my head)

not saying Tebow won't be great in the NFL, BUT how many dual threat guys have proven ineffective at the next level? Michael Vick and Vince Young come to mind, all relying too much on their ability to run, which is a skill utilized very differently in the pros.....while he has been a great college qb, there is no guarantee he will reach the same level of excellence in the NFL.......just a thought.

Tebow would start for probably any college team out there. However, I don't think he'll be much of a NFL QB. Michael Vick and Vince Young have been pretty good. Tebow isn't even in the same class as them in terms of ability to run the ball. He's big and he's powerful, but he's not very fast or elusive. Urlacher would make him pee his pants trying that QB draw up the middle he does now. I don't really think he's a great passer either. Most of his passes come on short dink and dunk slants after the opposing team stacks 8 in the box to stop him running. He's a great college QB, but I don't think he has much of a career ahead of him in the NFL unless he can develop a lot stronger deep to middle threat passing game.

I really don't think this is a horrible question. Stop listening to the media telling you Tebow is football God and evaluate for yourself. Is it the horrible footwork that makes him a great passer? Is it the three 4-yard touchdown runs a game he averages? What about the other 10 guys on his offense that are the most talented (and fast) in the nation?

I don't know how good he'd do in our offense, if it was exactly the same, and that was my question. Sure, we could change our offense and be more successful, but that's not the point. I was in class today and this topic was discussed for a while.

To anyone who says he's a for sure starter in the NFL, that is the unintelligent argument. No NFL scount wants him. He's projected as a tight end.