Starting RB?

I know the offseason is going to focus A LOT on the QB battle, but how about RB?....Helu played brilliant for us last year towards the end of the season, but was battling injury in the Gator Bowl, which put the spotlight on Castille, and damn did he shine? So, what do you think fellas....I realize that Watson is going to use them both, but who do you think will be our "feature back"? BTW I wouldnt count our Mendoza from seeing reps either..

Helu and Castille will carry the running attack for us next year. I think Mendoza will get in the mix next year when Castille is in at fullback. Mendoza's style is very similar to Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps of UF, he needs to see the field.

A few years from now, Trey Robinson will be a baller. I've heard that he didn't have a good season this year but if you watch his highlights, you can tell that he's a baller. I see him being something like Brandon Jackson. I've yet to see any highlights of Lester Ward and Collins Okafor highlights weren't any different than Leon Jackson's were. Okafor's entire highlight tape is of him running in open field without breaking a tackle or even making a juke, spin, or cut. Maybe Burkehead will help out but I think Trey Robinson is the future at the spot.

I still think Castille is the better back if he can just hold onto the ball (which he did well in the Gator Bowl, granted that was just one game).

Castille has speed and power. Helu has speed and elusiveness. It's tough to choose either or, but personally I like Castille much more.

One thing is for sure...we are a team that always has some damn good backs. Not a bad problem to have. I think these two guys can be one heck of a tandem next year. I'm hoping we can lean on them some next year with a new QB starting.

:yeah

we will need both these guys in full force to help the new qb develop no matter which one is the starter

One thing is for sure...we are a team that always has some damn good backs. Not a bad problem to have. I think these two guys can be one heck of a tandem next year. I'm hoping we can lean on them some next year with a new QB starting.

:yeah

we will need both these guys in full force to help the new qb develop no matter which one is the starter

DOUBLE HANDLE :cheers

I won't say Helu without a doubt like some previous poster did, but it is absolutely his to lose and Castille will have to do some miraculous things to pass him on the depth chart.

I don't know how much you guys remember of Helu running, but when I watched him you could just TELL that he deserved to be on that field more than Lucky or Castille. I don't know what it is, but something about him running the ball just made you think "dang...this guy is seriously freaking good".

Also, take a look at the stats. Ever since he got the largest amount of reps (Oklahoma), he finished with 157 yards and a 9.8 average. Against Kansas he finished with 115 and a 7.2 average. Against K State he finished with 72 and a 5.5 average (and it could be argued that he would have had a much more productive day, if not for us destroying them and Ganz breaking free on a lot of option runs), and lastly against 166 yards with a 6.6 average. Those numbers are extremely impressive, no matter which way someone tries to spin them.

im not counting out burkhead at all......i was watching him in the one on one drills at the nike camp RBs vs LBs and he was the most fluid back out there. he looked better than the five star players that were there and i dont think it was even close.

within 2 years burkhead will be starting and he will be tearing it up!

Just watched the RB's v LB's vid also and I was very impressed with Rex. I'd have to agree, he was by far the best back out there. The backfield will be solid in a few years with Rex and Trey!

im not counting out burkhead at all......i was watching him in the one on one drills at the nike camp RBs vs LBs and he was the most fluid back out there. he looked better than the five star players that were there and i dont think it was even close.

within 2 years burkhead will be starting and he will be tearing it up!

Just watched the RB's v LB's vid also and I was very impressed with Rex. I'd have to agree, he was by far the best back out there. The backfield will be solid in a few years with Rex and Trey!

Rex is also very mature for his age. I really enjoyed seeing the Nike camp video (checked it out a few weeks ago on rivals) and he looked very promisng.

As for the current thread, however, I'm very happy we have so many talented backs next year. Talented backs means competition for playing time, and competition amongst each other only makes em better.

I sure hope they find a way to get Mendoza involved more in the offense next year. I can't just see him backing up Helu and Castille as the 3rd string r/b, for the rest of his time at Nebraska, hes got to much talent for that. Hes just seems to be one move or one block from taking it to the house, on most of his carries. I think he can be what Swift was to passing game, in our running game. I don't think he has to be the starting back, just needs to get enough playing time. Give our opponents one more problem to work on.

GBR!!!

I think that Helu has it, but i think that both Castille and Helu are great backs, and they will rotate the starters. its going to depend on how they perform during practice that week, and the defense. I think on the 3rd and 1s or 4th and inches, you need to go with Castille, but Helu still wont be counted out. Helu will get more reps, i think he starts most of the game if he stays out of the injuries. I cant wait for next year.