Position Watch: Wide Receiver

knapplc

We went in to Fall Camp with 16 wideouts on the roster. That's a crazy number, considering that only six or seven are going to see anything like real playing time this year. There are a lot of names being tossed about, but it looks like Niles Paul and Menelik Holt have stepped up their games, hoping to secure some of that hard-to-find playing time.

Regarding Niles Paul:

"Niles Paul is the guy, no doubt."

Over Holt?

"Niles Paul's the guy," Watson said flatly.

What does Paul bring to the table?

"Plays. Big plays," Watson said. "Respect is earned. You earn it by performance. I think everybody here, everybody on this team -- offense, defense, coaches, managers, everybody who sees practice -- goes, 'Wow, he's done a nice job.' "

Watson added, "He's humbled himself. He's letting us coach him. I'll tell you what, he has a sense of purpose because really inside of him, he wants to be good. He doesn't want to be good, he wants to be great. He's really stepped up his game."

Regarding Menelik Holt:

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said Wednesday that senior wideout Menelik Holt has been "solid, real solid" through the first half of preseason camp.

Holt is very consistent, the coach said of the 6-foot-4, 220-pound native of San Diego. "I know this senior year is very important for him," Watson said.

STORY This story by Steve Sipple contains a rundown of a lot of the offense - who's in what position, how they're doing, etc.

Regarding Tim Marlowe:

“Tim Marlowe is having a steady camp. He’s catching the ball better than he did in the spring. He’s a tough little guy.”

STORY

It's looking like we'll be OK at WR if these guys are performing as well as the coaches are saying, and the coaches aren't just blowing sunshine. Presuming they're being honest, it seems like we have plenty of guys to catch the ball, especially when you count McNeill and guys like Cotton and Kyler Reed.

If Zac Lee can be even competent at QB, we should be able to move the ball and score on most teams in Watson's offense. If he's as good as Ganzy, we're going to be just fine.

We have heard great things about Paul since Spring Ball, well up until his incident anyways. He was getting rave reviews in Summer Work Outs also. Helu praised him at the Big XII media days. I think at this point it is more than just fluff hype, I am really excited about what this offense can be this year!

What about the young guys? Khiry Cooper is lighting fast and could stretch the field for us

Agreed. It's just that there aren't that many spots on the field, so several guys are going to get shorted on PT this year.

I've had an evil, wicked thought. We could flat out exhaust some DBs this year if we wanted to be mean. We have some guys with pretty good afterburners in Cooper, Gilleylen, Kyler Reed, Antonio Bell? Not sure how fast Kinnie is. Anyway, on just about every play in the first several series, we have one of these guys rotate in and run a post at top speed. Next play, new guy, same thing - blaze downfield as fast as you can. Next play, new guy, same thing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

By the second half their DBs will be on oxygen.

Just a fun thought. :)

What about the young guys? Khiry Cooper is lighting fast and could stretch the field for us

Cooper can be pretty good, but I think he is behind because he missed Spring Ball. I think Antonio Bell will get time, he will pretty good when it is all said and done. Top 4 I think are Paul, Holt, Kinnie, and Bell. Those seem to be the names we keep hearing about from the coaches.

Yeah its definitely going to be exciting (or frustrating) the first few games. Seeing who's all making plays or not.

With so many in the mix, it'll be fun just to see who the hell is on the field besides Paul & Meno.

I'm thinking Kinnie will make some plays out there.

Agreed BRI....I just want them to get on the field and make some plays....how awesome would it be if the first play of the season is a playaction pass with a deep ball to Paul or some other WR for a long TD?!?!?!

Or Kyler Reed! I can't wait to see him blow past some Olympic sprinter DB on a fly route this year.

And about Khiry Cooper, I was very surprised that he redshirted last year. Do you guys remember how one of the few things we consistently heard out of camp was that Cooper was blowing minds and ripping it up? I'm excited to see what he can accomplish.

It's good to hear Watson raving about how Paul has been doing, Holt too.

But i'm telling you guys, dont over look Kinnie. If he doesn't post big numbers this year he will in the future. The guy has the speed and the hands.

But the point is, we have the talent at WR this year. We have guys with the athleticism to can catch a 3 yard slant and take it to the house. I think Paul and Holt could potentially put up great stats this year.

But one question I think we have over looked is who is going to be the best run blocker WR this year?

Well hopefully this hype is backed up by real plays on the field. I have a feeling these two are going to do real well, but we won't know until that first pass is thrown.

Absolutely. I feel these two will be great as well but after watching Paul in the Gator bowl, I'll reserve judgment. He had a rough game but hopefully (and very probably) that game is well behind him.