SIGNED QB/ATH Jamal Turner

Ohio Pete

Season stats so far:

Rushing: 238 carries for 1,619 yards w/ 31 TD's.

Passing: 136-221 for 1,420 yards w/ 6 TD's and 6 INT's.

One last game of the regular season this Friday.

Well, so much for the "much better passer than Martinez" bit about 10 posts up. Martinez had over 3,000 passing yards and almost 30TDs as a senior, in addition to running for 750 and 12TDs.

kchusker - i wouldn't be so quick to judge just looking at those stats. jamal is a more polished passer than even bubba at this point. he's got real nice ability.

martinez never threw the ball down field either. as FH gave his percentage...keep in mind those were entirely quick hitches/outs/etc.

be excited about jamal's throwing ability.

I'm not judging too much - it's just people think Martinez was this running QB and didn't pass...when in HS he was FAR more of a passer than any QB we've recruited lately. I don't usually see quick out's generating 16+ yards a catch...maybe closer to 10 (which is what Jamal's yards per completion is). I just can't find much to prove that he is so much more of a "polished passer" is all. Stats don't back it up, the tape doesn't really support it. We only see highlights so each QB looks good. Bubba definately has a stronger arm, his motion might just be affected by baseball and a lack of coaching but there isn't this massive gap between the passing ability of Turner vs. Bubba/Martinez. Don't see it, don't see Jamal playing QB here either though.

kchusker - i wouldn't be so quick to judge just looking at those stats. jamal is a more polished passer than even bubba at this point. he's got real nice ability.

martinez never threw the ball down field either. as FH gave his percentage...keep in mind those were entirely quick hitches/outs/etc.

Have you seen jamal throw in person, because lately I have been impressed with martinez throwing the ball. I feel like unless bubba plays baseball, jamal won't be throwing the pigskin around at nebraska.

Have you seen jamal throw in person, because lately I have been impressed with martinez throwing the ball. I feel like unless bubba plays baseball, jamal won't be throwing the pigskin around at nebraska.

I disagree.

I disagree.

Maybe in the wildcat or on designed plays? I just can't see him unseating Martinez. Which means, if he redshirts and watches for 2 years he'll have 2 left so it's certainly possible - but can you see Bo keeping him on the sidelines for 2 years? He's going to be playing - he's too great of an athlete - I just don't see it being from under center. By his junior year when a spot opens he'll be settled at another position IMO. Now, if Martinez happens to leave early...then maybe...I just don't see Martinez being the type of QB that will be wanted so desperately in the NFL that he'd leave.

I'm not judging too much - it's just people think Martinez was this running QB and didn't pass...when in HS he was FAR more of a passer than any QB we've recruited lately. I don't usually see quick out's generating 16+ yards a catch...maybe closer to 10 (which is what Jamal's yards per completion is). I just can't find much to prove that he is so much more of a "polished passer" is all. Stats don't back it up, the tape doesn't really support it. We only see highlights so each QB looks good. Bubba definately has a stronger arm, his motion might just be affected by baseball and a lack of coaching but there isn't this massive gap between the passing ability of Turner vs. Bubba/Martinez. Don't see it, don't see Jamal playing QB here either though.

Cody Green says what's up. He threw for over 3200 yards including over a 1000 in the playoffs alone(AJ Dugat would halp anyones stats of course).

The main reason(besides his motion) a lot of schools didn't want Taylor as a QB is that they knew nothing about his arm because his passes at Corona were primarily all hitches, stops, ins, and outs, as noted by SkerChicago. It has also been noted by Crabtree and other recruiting "geniouses" that Turner is a more polished thrower than Taylor at this point.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Taylor was surrounded by way better receiving talent than Jamal has. One of his receivers was Ricky Marvray who is now at UCLA.

And I still stand by the fact that if I had to go one on one in the open field against either of these two it would be Taylor. And this is coming from a huy who is a Taylor fan.

I disagree.

Maybe in the wildcat or on designed plays? I just can't see him unseating Martinez. Which means, if he redshirts and watches for 2 years he'll have 2 left so it's certainly possible - but can you see Bo keeping him on the sidelines for 2 years? He's going to be playing - he's too great of an athlete - I just don't see it being from under center. By his junior year when a spot opens he'll be settled at another position IMO. Now, if Martinez happens to leave early...then maybe...I just don't see Martinez being the type of QB that will be wanted so desperately in the NFL that he'd leave.

When Green and Martinez were coming in, did anybody really think that Martinez might be our starting qb for the future? At the beginning of the year Jerrod Johnson was being hyped up as a Heisman contender and has been unseated by a receiver. Do we really know what is going to happen when these two QBs get here and start competing against what we already have? No idea. We do know that Bo preaches competition, and we know that he doesn't just spout that off. Martinez got a fair shot, Jamal will get a fair shot too. He's getting on the field no matter what. It's a little premature to say that Jamal can't throw like Taylor. High school ball is so predominantly run that the comparisons are too difficult to make until the players reach campus. He will get his shot.

I disagree.

When Green and Martinez were coming in, did anybody really think that Martinez might be our starting qb for the future? At the beginning of the year Jerrod Johnson was being hyped up as a Heisman contender and has been unseated by a receiver. Do we really know what is going to happen when these two QBs get here and start competing against what we already have? No idea. We do know that Bo preaches competition, and we know that he doesn't just spout that off. Martinez got a fair shot, Jamal will get a fair shot too. He's getting on the field no matter what. It's a little premature to say that Jamal can't throw like Taylor. High school ball is so predominantly run that the comparisons are too difficult to make until the players reach campus. He will get his shot.

Great points T. Especially about Johnson.

This only makes the future more exciting... Just gonna have to wait for these ole boys to duke it out. Jamal certainly has the "it" factor, as did Taylor in HS (although none of us thought he'd be the QB of the future). Great to have guys like that stockpiled again... truly awesome. What an awesome time to be a Husker!! GBR!

I disagree.

Great points T. Especially about Johnson.

This only makes the future more exciting... Just gonna have to wait for these ole boys to duke it out. Jamal certainly has the "it" factor, as did Taylor in HS (although none of us thought he'd be the QB of the future). Great to have guys like that stockpiled again... truly awesome. What an awesome time to be a Husker!! GBR!

Browse through the Christian Suntrup thread where I was called out for saying T-Mart might just be the QB of the future 6 months ago, and it was argued with references to Jamal not being polished and Carnes being the next "chosen one". Jamal Turner is this board's flavor of the week. Everyone bows to the new recruits (just like Cody Green Mr. Crewe). I see it happen each year. The truth is we're soo giddy and hopped up on :koolaid that few if any can evaluate these guys anyway. The recruiting analysts are going to say Turner is the next great thing to sell subscriptions...everyone here is going to say he's the next great thing for the same reason we survived through the BC years - next year is going to be better. The next recruit is going to be better. Sometimes we actually have quality players on the roster and unfortunately for these recruits...they aren't going to see the field in the position their recruited for. Not everyone is better than the previous. This is one of those cases.

I'm glad you brought Brion Carnes up because I he is someone that will have an extra year of practice over Jamal Truner and Bubba Starling (If he makes it here), he also looks like someone that has the it factor in him. The future looks bright for Nebraska at the Quarteback position. :koolaid2:

• 3 weeks later...

well...w/ the latest developments on the T-Mart front, I guess I should retract some of my earlier statements since they were based on the assumption that Taylor/Carnes would be the starter for the next couple of years with solid depth behind them. Now it's not looking as clear-cut as it once did. My what 3 weeks of football can do to ya. If nothing else the playing field has just been leveled considerably when he walks on campus next spring/fall to compete for the spot.

well...w/ the latest developments on the T-Mart front, I guess I should retract some of my earlier statements since they were based on the assumption that Taylor/Carnes would be the starter for the next couple of years with solid depth behind them. Now it's not looking as clear-cut as it once did. My what 3 weeks of football can do to ya. If nothing else the playing field has just been leveled considerably when he walks on campus next spring/fall to compete for the spot.

Our last Heisman Trophy winner pulled the same BS. But with the next years up and coming QB's it'll be interesting how this all pans out. Welcome to the HUSKER Fold Jamal.