Nebraska vs Mizzz Speculation

BigRedNV

I still can't believe that kid turned down the MLB to play football for Nevada. I mean, I guess the opportunity to play baseball will still be there, but I wouldn't risk losing potentially millions of dollars to play football in college, when you know your career will be in baseball, not football. But I guess the kid's passionate about it, so :dunno

The guy was drafted in the 43rd round! How big of a draft bonus do you think they give those kids? My guess it was around $200.00 and a hot dog.

hahaha notice that i said POTENTIALLY.... I know he didn't get drafted high, but if you make it to the minors and eventually the bigs, you have the potential to make millions. Whereas in football.... He has no future.

I still can't believe that kid turned down the MLB to play football for Nevada. I mean, I guess the opportunity to play baseball will still be there, but I wouldn't risk losing potentially millions of dollars to play football in college, when you know your career will be in baseball, not football. But I guess the kid's passionate about it, so :dunno

The guy was drafted in the 43rd round! How big of a draft bonus do you think they give those kids? My guess it was around $200.00 and a hot dog.

hahaha notice that i said POTENTIALLY.... I know he didn't get drafted high, but if you make it to the minors and eventually the bigs, you have the potential to make millions. Whereas in football.... He has no future.

Probably not as a QB, but I could see him as a 6'5" receiver. Put 30 pounds on him and he's a tight end at 245.

At least we can agree on that! Go Cardinals!

Don't mistake me. I'm a huge Cubs fan. I'm just a realist. :)

My God. You really do need some help. ;)

Agreed. For starters, the Trib Company needs to complete this sale. 2.5 years to sell a MLB franchise is an absolute joke. Once they're done, I expect a better product on the field.

The MU quaterback is a master at throwing late hail mary passes. He makes VT QB look like a rookie. So if we have the pass rush we used against VT we will get trashed by MU.

I would say if you give him as much time as we gave VT we will get beat!

Two completely different offenses will yield two completely different game plans. We had to play our cards safe with Taylor because of the running threat he poses. If you move in on him from the inside he is taking it outside, and if you move in on him from the outside he runs up the middle for a nice gain. Gabbert might be mobile in the pocket, but he is a pocket passer through and through with running ability nothing like Tyrod Taylor.

And he won't be chucking the ball up for dreams in this game. Lobbed deep throws into double coverage and throwing across his body may have worked against the less athletic defenses of Nevada, Furman, et al, but that won't work against Nebraska.

Two completely different offenses will yield two completely different game plans. We had to play our cards safe with Taylor because of the running threat he poses. If you move in on him from the inside he is taking it outside, and if you move in on him from the outside he runs up the middle for a nice gain. Gabbert might be mobile in the pocket, but he is a pocket passer through and through with running ability nothing like Tyrod Taylor.

And judging by the big plays Taylor busted out on Miami with his feet, I would have to say the Pelini boys did a fine job game planning.

Gabbert is somewhat mobile in the pocket, but he is nowhere close to Taylor in terms of running ability. He's slow. I saw an option play against Nevada, and I thought I missed the original play and was watching it in slow motion.

If he tries to run down the field, we will close very quickly on him before he does much damage.

I saw an option play against Nevada, and I thought I missed the original play and was watching it in slow motion.

If you're talking about that play down by the goal line, I shouted "What is he DOING!?!?!" watching that play. He looked like he was running in a tub of peanut butter, and he just froze when that linebacker came up and dropped him.

If you're talking about that play down by the goal line, I shouted "What is he DOING!?!?!" watching that play. He looked like he was running in a tub of peanut butter, and he just froze when that linebacker came up and dropped him.

I think that might have been it. It looked like a speed option to the left, but I can't remember where on the field it was run.

I think that's one of the things that Missouri fans aren't realizing.

They keep saying that our defense hasn't faced a good offense yet. While I tend agree with that, it's not like the teams we faced don't know how to throw, run and tackle, they just aren't as good at it as Missouri.

Rusty Smith from FAU is as good of a thrower as Gabbert and a pro prospect after this year.

Leonard from Arkansas Stat is a very good dual threat quarterback.

Tyrod Taylor is Tyrod Taylor, we know he can run, and when need be, he can pass.

So, they say that to us, then they fail to see the other side of the coin where their "amazing offense" hasn't even come close to seeing a defense like ours.

You know, one that actually swarms to the ball and tackles the person carrying it.

I just think they're going to be in for a rude awakening.

So it's not like Nebraska hasn't gone up against inept offenses, just not one's as talented as Missouri's. However, still an offense that I think we can handle.

I disagree with anyone who says Blaine Gabbert is slow. That's just incorrect. He runs a timed 4.5 40. If you watched him play in the Illinois game, you would know that. No, he's not Taylor. He isn't an instinctual runner, which is why he won't make the right reads (ala in the Nevada game). But if you give him a designed run, he'll pick up big yards. Hell, Chase Daniel did the same against you guys.

That being said, Gabbert's running doesn't matter when it comes to this game. It might be a nice weapon, but it's not going to ultimately decide the outcome. However, his decisions passing will. Sure, he's made a few-- NOTE: a few-- hasty throws. But for the most smart, the kid is very sharp. He reads the defense well and can pick secondaries apart.

I understand many of you think we're in line for a rude awakening. Maybe so. But I also know that you're secondary is really dinged up. Specifically, I think you're down two starting safeties. If that's the case, that's not the best situation to be in... Especially when you'll be facing a receiving core with speed who's 6'4", 6'5", and 6'1". You better hope your defensive line gets immediate pressure, because I'm not sold on your young linebackers and dinged up secondary keeping up with our receivers.

I disagree with anyone who says Blaine Gabbert is slow. That's just incorrect. He runs a timed 4.5 40. If you watched him play in the Illinois game, you would know that. No, he's not Taylor. He isn't an instinctual runner, which is why he won't make the right reads (ala in the Nevada game). But if you give him a designed run, he'll pick up big yards. Hell, Chase Daniel did the same against you guys.

That being said, Gabbert's running doesn't matter when it comes to this game. It might be a nice weapon, but it's not going to ultimately decide the outcome. However, his decisions passing will. Sure, he's made a few-- NOTE: a few-- hasty throws. But for the most smart, the kid is very sharp. He reads the defense well and can pick secondaries apart.

I understand many of you think we're in line for a rude awakening. Maybe so. But I also know that you're secondary is really dinged up. Specifically, I think you're down two starting safeties. If that's the case, that's not the best situation to be in... Especially when you'll be facing a receiving core with speed who's 6'4", 6'5", and 6'1". You better hope your defensive line gets immediate pressure, because I'm not sold on your young linebackers and dinged up secondary keeping up with our receivers.

Actually we are not down a starting safety. We are down 1 safety out of our top 3, Ricky Thenarse looks like he is out for the year. He rotated heavily with Matt O'Hanlon and his loss is a blow, but it doesn't cripple that spot. That is a position where the Huskers have some depth. The other Safety, and one of our better players, Larry Asante did get hurt but it doesn't look serious at all and is expected to play. I am glad that Asante is going to play because Alexander looks like a really good receiver, only knock on him I have is that he seems to go down a bit easy. However he is a great bailout weapon for Gabbert.

Actually we are not down a starting safety. We are down 1 safety out of our top 3, Ricky Thenarse looks like he is out for the year. He rotated heavily with Matt O'Hanlon and his loss is a blow, but it doesn't cripple that spot. That is a position where the Huskers have some depth. The other Safety, and one of our better players, Larry Asante did get hurt but it doesn't look serious at all and is expected to play. I am glad that Asante is going to play because Alexander looks like a really good receiver, only knock on him I have is that he seems to go down a bit easy. However he is a great bailout weapon for Gabbert.

Thanks for the clarification, but I still see it as a banged up position. Alexander most definitely does not go down easily, but our receivers do tend to get a case of the dropsies every once in a while. They turn their heads up field too quickly, especially the seniors ... Denario and Jared Perry. Wes Kemp, albeit a youngster, catches friggen' everything. He reminds me of a Chase Coffman clone but about 20 lbs lighter and playing receiver instead of TE.

Blaine Gabbert's 40 time is 4.65, not 4.50. That's according to Rivals, which a friend of mine says is a pretty reliable site. And yes, Chase did gash us a couple of times in 2007. But this isn't the 2007 Husker D, which Cosgrove was busy trying to mold into a heavy, slow Big 10-esque defense. For some reason a bunch of Big 10 teams have yet to get the memo that you need SPEED on defense, and Cos was one of those old school Big 10 guys who wanted big, strong, slow LBs. Phillip Dillard was a "star" in Cosgrove's defenses, yet when Bo came he rode the bench because (according to some rumors) Dillard refused to drop the weight necessary to earn PT.

This year we're starting Will Compton (who actually does run a 4.5 40), Sean Fisher (4.60 40) and Mathew May (4.63 40) at LB, meaning that every one of our LBs can chase Gabbert down from behind.

But here's the fun part - we have D Linemen who can run down quarterbacks, too. Ndamukong Suh's 40 time is 4.8, and if he's got an angle or a step, Gabbert's going down. He's run down QBs several times already, including Reesing in last year's game with Kansas on a couple of different plays. Barry Turner was clocked at 4.5 and Pierre Allen was clocked at 4.6. That's three guys on our D Line who can run Gabbert down, something he hasn't faced yet this year.

Blaine Gabbert's 40 time is 4.65, not 4.50. That's according to Rivals, which a friend of mine says is a pretty reliable site. And yes, Chase did gash us a couple of times in 2007. But this isn't the 2007 Husker D, which Cosgrove was busy trying to mold into a heavy, slow Big 10-esque defense. For some reason a bunch of Big 10 teams have yet to get the memo that you need SPEED on defense, and Cos was one of those old school Big 10 guys who wanted big, strong, slow LBs. Phillip Dillard was a "star" in Cosgrove's defenses, yet when Bo came he rode the bench because (according to some rumors) Dillard refused to drop the weight necessary to earn PT.

This year we're starting Will Compton (who actually does run a 4.5 40), Sean Fisher (4.60 40) and Mathew May (4.63 40) at LB, meaning that every one of our LBs can chase Gabbert down from behind.

But here's the fun part - we have D Linemen who can run down quarterbacks, too. Ndamukong Suh's 40 time is 4.8, and if he's got an angle or a step, Gabbert's going down. He's run down QBs several times already, including Reesing in last year's game with Kansas on a couple of different plays. Barry Turner was clocked at 4.5 and Pierre Allen was clocked at 4.6. That's three guys on our D Line who can run Gabbert down, something he hasn't faced yet this year.

Man its a bitch when somebody uses those damn facts in an argument, isn't it?