Jason Peter on BRWU

How exactly would having redshirt freshmen sit in the stands benefit the team? I can give an argument why it would hurt the team . . . but how it could help eludes me.

Making redshirt freshmen sit in the stands could seriously hurt recruiting and team unity. How do you tell a recruit that he will practice every day and then sit in the stands like a fan and not be on the field celebrating with his team? It's a ridiculous argument as far as I'm concerned.

One more example of Peter saying "Well, this is the way we did it . . . so it must be the best way" . . . without bothering to explain why or how it would be beneficial.

Hard nose or pu&&y football

National champions or 9th in the Big 12 losing to Iowa State in front of 86,000 Husker fans and fumbling 8 times against a sick puking ISU second string

Duhhh!

That still does not validate your argument as to why it would be beneficial.

The beneficial aspect was answered a few posts before this. Not to mention Peter qualified the statement saying it made you motivated to work your ass off.

I don't know what everyone is bitching about. He only said pretty much everyone has been saying for the last four years. The offense we run makes you less aggressive bc you're used to taking a couple steps back when pass blocking. He said would it be easier to get five big, nasty, hard nosed linemen and a very talented qb and rb to come to nu or would it be easier to try to get four big time wr's that everyone is going after to come to nu? as productive as we have been the last three or so years passing the ball how many big time high school wr's have we gotten? One, Niles Paul who was from Nebraska. One could argue that maybe Holt or Gilleylan were highly recruited bc they had quite a few offers but nothing from really big name schools. Now how many rb's that were highly recruited have we gotten to come here in the last few years or so? Lucky, five star, Jackson, four star, Castille, four star, Burkhead, four star, and Wilson, four star. To go with that we at one point had beck, freeman, green, all four stars and Gabbert a five star. we have also developed a pretty decent run blocking offensive line with guys like williams, jones, jones, henry and caputo with sirles, qvale, ash, coffey, rodriguez, moudy and moore committed.

I realy miss the game football used to be. Power football and attitiude won in the trenches. lining up and punching your guy in the face. pounding the rock and making everyone respect it. Now its about pretty receptions and pass happy O. Its like baseball becoming a homerun derby. I really do not like what college football has become in the last 10 years(not just because NU has fallen off).

It's much more of a chess match now, more about out scheming the opponents offensive coordinator than anything else. I really think bo would like to change this but doesn't have the players at the moment. It's still better than Callahan trying to run the WCO with option players

off topic: every time i listen jason peter, i get more and more impressed with him as a speaker. he's come a long why from where he started.

but back to what he was saying: 30min 1-v-1 scrimmages in as close to game day as you can get back in the 90s sound good. you would think coach ron brown would be the first proponent for that type of practice.

why is this not happening?

Ditto on the Jason Peter comments.

did anyone hear the Suh interview yesterday? The guy sounds a lot more mature than guys his age. After his football career is done I hope to see him in coaching or in a press box.

I'm sick and tired of Jason Peter bringing up the his playing days and comparing every team to the Husker teams of the mid 90's.

I don't listen to his radio show anymore, same ole, same ole.

I'm sick and tired of NU looking like sh*t everytime we play anybody even somewhat decent. The last six years have been pathetic at best.

Teams of the 90s my ass......teams of the 70s and 80s are light years above the crap on the field I've seen every since we brought in Callahan.

Bo does need to take more control of the offense and become more of a head coach. Whether Watson can handle that or not, I'm not sure. Just a couple months ago everyone was worried Watson would be gone after this season, now everyone wants him gone. Personally, I think we should run whatever offense Bo hates going up against the most, just seems to make sense to me.

That's why I really was hoping they would've played Georgia Tech in last year's bowl game. They were one of the possibilites. Not that Bo would've seen the triple option run effectively and that would've made him say we need this but so he could see how tough it was to prepare for a style all it's own that forced the defense to think so much instead of react and try to create an offense that way.

I'm sick and tired of Jason Peter bringing up the his playing days and comparing every team to the Husker teams of the mid 90's.

I'm sick and tired of NU looking like sh*t everytime we play anybody even somewhat decent. The last six years have been pathetic at best.

Teams of the 90s my ass......teams of the 70s and 80s are light years above the crap on the field I've seen every since we brought in Callahan.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Do you remember the 2002 season? Even in 2003, we struggled horribly against good/great competition. Remember when Washington and Colorado rode into town in the early 90's? Remember the 7 bowl losses in a row encountered by TO and the Huskers in which quite a few were blowouts against good/great competition. Was this Iowa State team we lost to last Saturday worse than the one Frazier and company lost to in 1992?

Check out this 4 year stretch for TO and company in bowl games against good/great competition:

January 2, 1989 Miami 23 Nebraska 3 1989 Orange Bowl

January 1, 1990 Florida State 41 Nebraska 17 1990 Fiesta Bowl

January 1, 1991 Georgia Tech 45 Nebraska 21 1991 Citrus Bowl

January 1, 1992 Miami 22 Nebraska 0 1992 Orange Bowl

Consequently, TO is the only Husker coach to ever get shut out in a bowl game. We've looked like crap against good/great competition long before Clownahan was hired.

Here's a trip down memory lane. I don't agree with some of these belonging on the Worst Losses, but here they are:

1. Florida State 18-16, ’94 Orange Bowl -- The Huskers found themselves in the unfamiliar role of 17-point underdogs heading into the game against Florida State, led by Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward. Nebraska outplayed the top-ranked Seminoles, outrushing them 183-47 and holding a 389-333 edge in total yardage. The game came down to a Byron Bennett field-goal attempt, which sailed wide to the left as time ran out. This loss prevented the Huskers from becoming the first team to win three national championships in a row. Ugh!

2. Texas 37-27, ’96 Big 12 Championship Game -- Before the game, Longhorns QB James Brown predicted -- guaranteed-- a Texas win. Unfortunately, he was a man of his word. The Huskers’ troubles began before the game did. Throughout the week leading up to the contest, two-thirds of NU's starters suffered a bad strain of the flu, likely contracted in the cold, rainy game against Colorado a week earlier. The Blackshirts had lost their best player (linebacker Terrell Farley, who was dismissed from the team after being arrested for DUI) and the flu-riddled, realigned defense wasn’t up to the task. The famous fourth-down conversion by Texas sealed the Huskers’ fate and kept Nebraska from playing -- and probably beating -- Florida State in the Sugar Bowl for the national championship.

3. Arizona State 19-0, ’96 -- The Sun Devils' Jake Plummer-led offense managed a touchdown on the game's opening drive, but that was Arizona State's only trip to the end zone. Two Husker turnovers led to two ASU field goals, and the sputtering NU offense gave up three safeties. Their win put the Sun Devils in the national title hunt, which ended in the Rose Bowl -- ASU's only loss of the season.

4. Iowa State 19-10, ’92 -- In the words of a great American, “What the f**k was up with that s**t?!” On the heels of dominating wins over No. 8 Colorado and No. 13 Kansas, the Huskers simply forgot to show up in Ames, Iowa. Nebraska was held to 192 yards rushing while ISU quarterback Marv Seiler ran for 144 all by himself. One of Tom Osborne’s most inexcusable losses in his 25-year reign as Nebraska’s coach.

5. Colorado 27-12, ’90 -- Ahh, yes. Four fourth-quarter touchdowns by CU tailback Eric Bienemy against NU's quitter defense in the rain at Memorial Stadium. The Huskers had the game in hand, leading 12-0 after three quarters, but fell apart in the final 15 minutes.

6. Texas 24-20, ’99 -- The Huskers fumbled twice inside the 10-yard line -- once at the goal line -- to virtually hand the Longhorns the game. Nebraska outplayed Texas, outgaining the Longhorns in first downs (23-13), rushing yardage (192-62) and total yardage (429-275), and holding a 34:13-25:47 time of possession advantage. The loss kept the 12-1 Huskers from a national championship-deciding date with Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.

7. Texas 20-16, ’98 -- Texas had Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams. Nebraska had several starters injured and freshman quarterback Eric Crouch at the helm. It should've been enough, but cornerback Erwin Swiney's blown coverage on two key third-and-long situations gave the Longhorns the boost they needed to end the Huskers' 47-game win streak at Memorial Stadium.

8. Kansas State 40-30, ’98 -- Against what probably was Kansas State's best team, the injury-slowed Huskers held their own, trading points with the Wildcats to set up the deciding fourth quarter. But a blatant, uncalled facemask on Husker quarterback Eric Crouch on fourth down ended NU's upset dreams. The play would have given the Huskers the ball near midfield with more than two minutes remaining, trailing by four.

9. Oklahoma 45-10, ’90 -- Rout city. Nebraska quarterback Mickey Joseph was injured early when he slid into the bench and severed his thigh, knocking him from the game. That set the tone for the day, as the Sooners moved the ball through the air at will against the worst Husker team of the decade, giving Oklahoma Coach Gary Gibbs the only win he would ever get against Nebraska.

10. Washington 36-21, ’91 -- The Huskers had ‘em, then let ‘em off the hook. Nebraska led 14-6 at halftime. But Washington, led by quarterback Billy Joe Hobert's 286 passing yards, bombarded NU with 20 fourth-quarter points. Meanwhile, the Husky defense, led by All-American Steve Emtman, closed the door on NU's comeback attempts. It would be the last loss at Memorial Stadium until the '98 Texas game.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Do you remember the 2002 season? Even in 2003, we struggled horribly against good/great competition. Remember when Washington and Colorado rode into town in the early 90's? Remember the 7 bowl losses in a row encountered by TO and the Huskers in which quite a few were blowouts against good/great competition. Was this Iowa State team we lost to last Saturday worse than the one Frazier and company lost to in 1992?

Check out this 4 year stretch for TO and company in bowl games against good/great competition:

January 2, 1989 Miami 23 Nebraska 3 1989 Orange Bowl

January 1, 1990 Florida State 41 Nebraska 17 1990 Fiesta Bowl

January 1, 1991 Georgia Tech 45 Nebraska 21 1991 Citrus Bowl

January 1, 1992 Miami 22 Nebraska 0 1992 Orange Bowl

Consequently, TO is the only Husker coach to ever get shut out in a bowl game. We've looked like crap against good/great competition long before Clownahan was hired.

Here's a trip down memory lane. I don't agree with some of these belonging on the Worst Losses, but here they are:

1. Florida State 18-16, ’94 Orange Bowl -- The Huskers found themselves in the unfamiliar role of 17-point underdogs heading into the game against Florida State, led by Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward. Nebraska outplayed the top-ranked Seminoles, outrushing them 183-47 and holding a 389-333 edge in total yardage. The game came down to a Byron Bennett field-goal attempt, which sailed wide to the left as time ran out. This loss prevented the Huskers from becoming the first team to win three national championships in a row. Ugh!

2. Texas 37-27, ’96 Big 12 Championship Game -- Before the game, Longhorns QB James Brown predicted -- guaranteed-- a Texas win. Unfortunately, he was a man of his word. The Huskers’ troubles began before the game did. Throughout the week leading up to the contest, two-thirds of NU's starters suffered a bad strain of the flu, likely contracted in the cold, rainy game against Colorado a week earlier. The Blackshirts had lost their best player (linebacker Terrell Farley, who was dismissed from the team after being arrested for DUI) and the flu-riddled, realigned defense wasn’t up to the task. The famous fourth-down conversion by Texas sealed the Huskers’ fate and kept Nebraska from playing -- and probably beating -- Florida State in the Sugar Bowl for the national championship.

3. Arizona State 19-0, ’96 -- The Sun Devils' Jake Plummer-led offense managed a touchdown on the game's opening drive, but that was Arizona State's only trip to the end zone. Two Husker turnovers led to two ASU field goals, and the sputtering NU offense gave up three safeties. Their win put the Sun Devils in the national title hunt, which ended in the Rose Bowl -- ASU's only loss of the season.

4. Iowa State 19-10, ’92 -- In the words of a great American, “What the f**k was up with that s**t?!” On the heels of dominating wins over No. 8 Colorado and No. 13 Kansas, the Huskers simply forgot to show up in Ames, Iowa. Nebraska was held to 192 yards rushing while ISU quarterback Marv Seiler ran for 144 all by himself. One of Tom Osborne’s most inexcusable losses in his 25-year reign as Nebraska’s coach.

5. Colorado 27-12, ’90 -- Ahh, yes. Four fourth-quarter touchdowns by CU tailback Eric Bienemy against NU's quitter defense in the rain at Memorial Stadium. The Huskers had the game in hand, leading 12-0 after three quarters, but fell apart in the final 15 minutes.

6. Texas 24-20, ’99 -- The Huskers fumbled twice inside the 10-yard line -- once at the goal line -- to virtually hand the Longhorns the game. Nebraska outplayed Texas, outgaining the Longhorns in first downs (23-13), rushing yardage (192-62) and total yardage (429-275), and holding a 34:13-25:47 time of possession advantage. The loss kept the 12-1 Huskers from a national championship-deciding date with Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.

7. Texas 20-16, ’98 -- Texas had Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams. Nebraska had several starters injured and freshman quarterback Eric Crouch at the helm. It should've been enough, but cornerback Erwin Swiney's blown coverage on two key third-and-long situations gave the Longhorns the boost they needed to end the Huskers' 47-game win streak at Memorial Stadium.

8. Kansas State 40-30, ’98 -- Against what probably was Kansas State's best team, the injury-slowed Huskers held their own, trading points with the Wildcats to set up the deciding fourth quarter. But a blatant, uncalled facemask on Husker quarterback Eric Crouch on fourth down ended NU's upset dreams. The play would have given the Huskers the ball near midfield with more than two minutes remaining, trailing by four.

9. Oklahoma 45-10, ’90 -- Rout city. Nebraska quarterback Mickey Joseph was injured early when he slid into the bench and severed his thigh, knocking him from the game. That set the tone for the day, as the Sooners moved the ball through the air at will against the worst Husker team of the decade, giving Oklahoma Coach Gary Gibbs the only win he would ever get against Nebraska.

a

10. Washington 36-21, ’91 -- The Huskers had ‘em, then let ‘em off the hook. Nebraska led 14-6 at halftime. But Washington, led by quarterback Billy Joe Hobert's 286 passing yards, bombarded NU with 20 fourth-quarter points. Meanwhile, the Husky defense, led by All-American Steve Emtman, closed the door on NU's comeback attempts. It would be the last loss at Memorial Stadium until the '98 Texas game.

What is there to disagree with what Bshirt said with the possible exception of the Solich years? McBride retired in 1999 and Solich couldn't recruit. That's the Cliffs Notes version. As far as the examples of losses, sure we had losses under Osborne. His tenure was a learning process, in which he finally began to master his technique in his later years.

However, if we're going to quote the individual losses, let's at least put up the records during those years:

Year Record Final AP Poll Ranking

2009 4-3 NR (current)

2008 9-4 NR Pelini begins

2007 5-7 NR Callahan fired

2006 9-5 NR

2005 8-4 #24

2004 5-6 NR Callahan begins

2003 10-3 #18 Solich fired

2002 7-7 NR

2001 11-2 #7

2000 10-2 #7

1999 12-1 #2 Mcbride retires as DC

1998 9-4 #19 Solich begins

1997 13-0 #2 (#1 in Coach's Poll) Osborne retires

1996 11-2 #6

1995 12-0 #1

1994 13-0 #1

1993 11-1 #3

1992 9-3 #14

1991 9-2-1 #15

1990 9-3 #17

1989 10-2 #11

1988 11-2 #10

1987 10-2 #6

1986 10-2 #4

1985 9-3 #10

1984 10-2 #3

1983 12-1 #2

1982 12-1 #3

1981 9-3 #9

1980 10-2 #7

1979 10-2 #7

1978 9-3 #8

1977 9-3 #10 Charlie McBride begins as DC

1976 9-3-1 #7

1975 10-2 #9

1974 9-3 #7

1973 9-2-1 #7 Osborne begins

1972 9-2-1 #4 Devaney retires

1971 13-0 #1

1970 11-0-1 #1

Now, after reviewing where we finished in the final polls each year, I ask you: Which type of team would you take? Where do you see consistency, and where do you not see consistency in? Wouldn't it be nice to finish 9-3 and have it be a "down" year? The numbers don't lie. Jason P gave a good interview and was spot on with his comments right down to the types of players to put in the system. There is a certain style of football team that is going to give you year-in and year-out consistency in the win/loss column. This current one isn't it.

Perhaps when one's team sucks, everything sounds like a lecture........but we do suck, and he's telling it like it is. Some pills are bitter to swallow.

He did explain it. He said that when he was in the stands it made him appreciate the game more and want to play more. It made him more motivated to get better so he would be able to get on the field and not have to sit in the stands. He compared that to the situation Dillard was in, he got the game taken away from him and he is playing like a motivated player bc he had to feel how it felt to have the game taken away from him.

I don't buy it. If you're in the stands you want to play. If you are on the sidelines, you want to play.

Recruits don't want to be in street clothes in the stands. They get to do that now.

I think what Peter fails to realize that Nebraska is in the rebuilding years and searching for our identity. When he came here ,Nebraska already had a strong identity as a power house team. He also realized that there was no way in hell he was going to start as a red whirt Freshman. Different times, different situations. The guy is stuck in the 90's and really needs to let it go! He almost sounds like Al Bundy, "back in Polk High, I scored 4 touchdowns in one game!".

AlBundy33.jpg

Yeah. Plus the real reason why they weren't on the sidelines was probably because our roster was so enormous.

BINGO!

The 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's are why Nebraska is considered to be a legendary or "great" program. If Jason needs to "let it go" then perhaps we should let go of everything else as well. Then we can finally truly embrace our mediocrity and become the cellar dweller that our rival schools wish us to be. Those decades are the only reason why you can puff out your chest. Why not learn something from them?

I also failed to note one thing about the win/loss records. The records during those decades were not padded and inflated with 3-4 wins over non-conference cupcake teams like they are now. NU played teams like Penn State, UCLA, Washington, USC etc. You need to factor that in as well when looking at records. Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

I also failed to note one thing about the win/loss records. The records during those decades were not padded and inflated with 3-4 wins over non-conference cupcake teams like they are now. NU played teams like Penn State, UCLA, Washington, USC etc. You need to factor that in as well when looking at records. Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Your analysis is solid. I completely agree with you on all of this. Sure is depressing to look at the last decade though....:dumdum

Wonder if we would have replaced Solich after seeing the crap that Callahan left us in. <_<

True.

mostly.

http://www.huskerpedia.com/allthegames.html

not 3-4 non-conference cupcakes, but one or two per season and occasionally three. You'll recognize many as STILL being cupcakes.

teams like:

Louisiana Tech

Alab.-Birmingham

Akron

Central Fla.

Colorado St.

Pacific

Wyoming

North Texas

Mid. Tenn. St.

Utah

Utah State

and lots more over the years.

Also keep in mind, in most of the big2 conference days, (Big8's nickname in the day), like many conferences, there were already cupcakes built in to the schedule, ISU, KU, KSU, Okie st. --- teams that were perrenial doormats.

you can add mizzou, for much of it's Big8 history it sucked too.

most of the B8 teams didn't get competitive until the schollie limit and B12 started up.

these days more and more conferences are getting competitive. Maybe parity is finally happening.

You'll see that some B10 doormats were often scheduled as well, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota.

Other B10 teams like Ohio St, Michigan, Purdue ... not so much. ;)

Check out the rankings column, it's kinda cool to see which years they played the most ranked teams.

scheduling cupcakes isn't exactly new. lots of teams have done it for a long time.

IDK I remember us playing quite a few cream puffs in the 90s. Interestingly we often struggled with them, I think I remember having a hard time against UAB one year, Dante Culpepper UCF. But seriously, remember Pacific? If you don't its because they don't have a football team anymore, and we played them with our 95 team I believe...

IDK I remember us playing quite a few cream puffs in the 90s. Interestingly we often struggled with them, I think I remember having a hard time against UAB one year, Dante Culpepper UCF. But seriously, remember Pacific? If you don't its because they don't have a football team anymore, and we played them with our 95 team I believe...

yup.

and nebraska was NOT alone in the scheduling a weak team or three every year, hell, everybody did it.

KSU built up it's program that way.