Favorite KSU-NU moment

HANC

Nope, sorry, "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" chants negate any and all complaining about other teams' fans bad taste and absolutely shoddy behavior in such matters.

OK, so it went from a sign that nobody has a picture of but everyone has seen to a chant that we, apparently, still say?

What's next? Did we give him cancer in the first place? Or is it that all Husker fans are responsible for cancer? That's where we're headed here, isn't it? It's just as believable.

Yeah. We have no room to talk because a couple of yahoos once did/said something untoward. This is equal to the treatment they give us, so we can never mention wrongs done to us.

I'm glad we've figured that out. :thumbs

The blanket statement made about their fans is based on some yahoo's comment on a message board. Assuming your account is the correct one, the contexts are pretty similar in scope.

I believe this is the video that there fans cheered for and you can see that the face mask play is clearly in the video. I'm yet to see the rumored "Sal is dead overpass"

man, I can't wait for Saturday night. I have grown to really dislike KSU. They are right up there with CU in my book. To kill time, I thought that I would start this topic.

Some of my favorite KSU moments

1. The "decleating" block on special teams in Lincoln (sorry, dont remember who)

2. Chad May not beating the 'skers and crying about it

3. Matt "turminator" Turman beating a very good KSU team in Manhatten

4. Heck, even last year, when Prince BENCHED the "golden child" Freeman during our romping

Mike Fullman's punt return, 1996, block administered by Mike Rucker.

man, I can't wait for Saturday night. I have grown to really dislike KSU. They are right up there with CU in my book. To kill time, I thought that I would start this topic.

Some of my favorite KSU moments

1. The "decleating" block on special teams in Lincoln (sorry, dont remember who)

Mike Rucker did that.

I loved the 99 game. One year after having KSU end their winless streak against NU, the Huskers put a gigantic beat down on that KSU team. Huskers were flying all over the field. Mike Brown and Carlos Polk were laying some big hits all day and KSU limped out of Lincoln.

Easily in my top 5 of best game days ever.

KState came in cocky on sr. day, and NU absolutely laid the wood to them for four quarters and the crowd was insane. I still remember Mike Brown pasting people with the south stadium yelling "Same old K State!" all freaking game.

Nope, sorry, "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" chants negate any and all complaining about other teams' fans bad taste and absolutely shoddy behavior in such matters.

OK, so it went from a sign that nobody has a picture of but everyone has seen to a chant that we, apparently, still say?

What's next? Did we give him cancer in the first place? Or is it that all Husker fans are responsible for cancer? That's where we're headed here, isn't it? It's just as believable.

Yeah. We have no room to talk because a couple of yahoos once did/said something untoward. This is equal to the treatment they give us, so we can never mention wrongs done to us.

I'm glad we've figured that out. :thumbs

The blanket statement made about their fans is based on some yahoo's comment on a message board. Assuming your account is the correct one, the contexts are pretty similar in scope.

Actually..I've seen several longtime members and at least one of their (KSU) admins perpetuate the Brooke thing on their board..and very few on their board calling them out on it.

I'd heard the "Sal is dead" banner..a one time show of lack of class was done by a couple of Denver Bronco fans that didn't like CU or NU... :dunno

I'd heard the "Sal is dead" banner..a one time show of lack of class was done by a couple of Denver Bronco fans that didn't like CU or NU... :dunno

I heard Elvis and Marilyn Monroe did it while driving cross country in James Dean's refurbished roadster. They were lamenting the death of Sal Mineo, who played Private Martini in The Longest Day, a movie about the D-Day invasion which involved the 1st Infantry Division, otherwise known as "The Big Red One."

It's all true. I read it on the Internet. :thumbs

I heard Elvis and Marilyn Monroe did it while driving cross country in James Dean's refurbished roadster. They were lamenting the death of Sal Mineo, who played Private Martini in The Longest Day, a movie about the D-Day invasion which involved the 1st Infantry Division, otherwise known as "The Big Red One."

Dude, you can't believe everything you read on the internet...don't you know thats how WWII got started.... :sarcasm

Mickey Plyler Blog

Bumper Stickers

I wanted to give a different twist and so here are the best and worst college football bumper stickers I have seen in my day:

1. On the downside of former University of North Carolina head football coach Dick Crum’s career, the stubborn Crum was not a fan favorite. The slide and the way he treated some people around Chapel Hill led to the classic bumper sticker, “I Would Rather Have Jock Itch than Dick Crum.”

2. Former Georgia head coach Ray Goff was coming off a year that was not up to the fans’ standards in Athens. Goff was from Moultrie, GA and was to open the next season against South Carolina, which inspired the bumper sticker, “If You Can’t Beat the Poultry, It’s Time to Head Back to Moultrie.”

3. Before we had the www.fire (Insert coaches name).com websites we had bumper stickers. The winner for the pre-mature campaign came from Georgia fans that were coming off of a 6-5 campaign in 1979. Dawg fans had printed, “Dump Dooley” bumper stickers before the 1980 campaign. Vice Dooley’s club rebounded with a national title in 1980.

The worst and most classless bumper sticker ever came from the Midwest. In 1988, Colorado star quarterback, Sal Aunese, was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Aunesse died in the middle of the 1989 season. An idiot Nebraska fan printed bumper stickers that said, “Go Big Red; Sal is Dead.” I know it was the work of one idiot but to this day I always pulld for the Buffaloes when they face Nebraska.

Article from Sports Illustrated:

November 12, 1990

Better Late Than Never

Colorado saved its best for last, upending Nebraska with four touchdowns in the fourth quarter

Sally Jenkins

PRINT EMAIL MOST POPULAR SHARE

The Colorado student body, somehow riotous even in that gray, soul-deadening weather only the Midwestern plains can produce, delivered its unkindest slur in the waning seconds of Colorado's 27-12 victory over Nebraska last Saturday. The mocking chant floated down on the Cornhuskers like the freezing rain: "We don't live in Lincoln, we don't live in Lincoln...."

It's not such a bad town, really, except for the wind that can blow a hole through the middle of you. Lincoln has its own charm if you know where to look for it, old-fashioned five-and-dime streets where the Back to the Bible radio station is neighbor to a cocktail lounge. Nebraska quarterback Mickey Joseph, a junior from New Orleans with a whiplash body, a lively personality and an accent entirely out of place in Lincoln, explained his unlikely presence, running the Cornhuskers' offense, like this: "You come to Nebraska, you feel that if something goes bad in the morning, it might just pick up in the afternoon."

The Buffaloes must have felt that too, as they trailed 12-0 through three quarters of play—fumbling six times and losing three, shanking punts and being generally "our own biggest enemy," according to coach Bill McCartney—only to slap Nebraska facedown in the rain puddles of its own Memorial Stadium in the final quarter.

Things picked up at last for Colorado tailback Eric Bieniemy, who finally held on to the football after three mortifying, costly fumbles to score four touchdowns, all in the fourth period. "I tried everything," Bieniemy said of his attempts to keep a grip on the ball. "I tried gloves, I tried spit." Things also picked up for Buffalo receiver Mike Pritchard, who dropped two passes in the first half but returned to make three catches for 90 yards and set up a pair of Bieniemy's touchdowns. Most significantly, things picked up for Colorado's defense, which held Nebraska to minus-4 yards and not a single first down in that final quarter.

The Cornhuskers, ranked No. 3 in the country before the game, straggled away from those last dreadful 15 minutes aghast and exposed. Let's put it this way: They had a one-game schedule, and they're 0-1. After predictably hammering a pushover list of early-season opponents, and after No. 1 Virginia's 41-38 loss to Georgia Tech last Saturday, Nebraska had a chance to be one of the few undefeated teams of consequence in the country. The Cornhuskers needed only to hang on to their painstakingly built lead over ninth-ranked Colorado to virtually assure themselves a Big Eight title and a place in the Orange Bowl. Instead, that place will almost certainly go to the Buffaloes, now 9-1-1, and 5-0 in the Big Eight.

"It means we can get out of this cold," Pritchard said, "and maybe into a national championship game."

There was a sullen cast to the contest that didn't just come from the chill weather, so impenetrably dreary that the stadium lights had to be turned on in midafternoon. It also derived from growing tensions between a perennial, if stale, favorite and a menacing usurper. The Buffaloes, by winning in Lincoln for the first time since 1967, had incontrovertibly arrived. They held the Cornhuskers to season lows in first downs (nine), rushing yards (163) and total offense (232).

This state of affairs moved normally immovable Nebraska coach Tom Osborne to attempt a nonsensical fake punt at his own 28 with about 6:45 to go and the Cornhuskers trailing only 13-12. The play's failure cost Nebraska any hope of winning. "They started to overwhelm us," Nebraska defensive tackle Kenny Walker said.

There were signs of residual ugliness from last year's contest, a 27-21 victory for the Buffaloes in Boulder as they rode a swell of emotion following the death from cancer of quarterback Sal Aunese. At the time, the Buffaloes had been enraged at remarks by Cornhusker linebacker Jeff Mills, who implied that Colorado was using the tragedy to its advantage. This year, motorists from Colorado were treated to this tasteless piece of graffiti painted across two lanes of Interstate 80 just beyond the state line: SAL IS DEAD. GO BIG RED.

If last year's team was touched with eeriness, there is nothing supernatural about this Colorado team. The Buffaloes have ably negotiated a demanding schedule marred only by a 31-31 tie with Tennessee and a 23-22 loss to Illinois. Even if you chose to debate their notorious fifth-down, 33-31 victory over Missouri on Oct. 6, there's no arguing with their defeats of Texas, Washington and Oklahoma. The Buffaloes' fourth-quarter surge against Nebraska was the work of a pressure-toughened team: Colorado has trailed in nine of its 10 games.

So what is it? We have a huge detailed banner on the Kearney overpass, graffiti painted on I-80 just across the state line, and bumper stickers galore. I've even heard several people say they saw a banner in the stadium during the game in Boulder.

Two hacks put something in print about this (still with NO PHYSICAL PROOF AND/OR EVIDENCE) and suddenly it's gospel.

Give me a picture of anything that resembles this horrible act and I'll buy in and start shaming the Husker fan base, but until then, it sounds and smells like crap.

Yeah. There are a hundred different versions of the Sal is Dead, Go Big Red thing. There was even a former CU player who claimed that a small group of seniors made the whole thing up to fire the rest of the team up to play Nebraska.

Personally, I give it about as much credit as Spit-Gate. It could have happened . . . but there sure isn't any evidence one way or another. Therefore . . . I don't think it happened.

Yeah. There are a hundred different versions of the Sal is Dead, Go Big Red thing. There was even a former CU player who claimed that a small group of seniors made the whole thing up to fire the rest of the team up to play Nebraska.

Personally, I give it about as much credit as Spit-Gate. It could have happened . . . but there sure isn't any evidence one way or another. Therefore . . . I don't think it happened.

I'd like to agree but I saw the sign with my own eyes. I lived in Denver and was driving back home to Grand Island with my family when we saw the sign attached to the bottom of the "Welcome to Nebraska" sign.