O-line

WVhuskerXX

All you Williams bashers, you do realize that he played from the Va. Tech game on with a torn Pectoral muscle. an injury that most sit out for and have surgery to repair. He however played and gutted his way through the season.

What this should tell you is that our depth was pathetic because this kid had to play.

Our best O lineman by far

All you Williams bashers, you do realize that he played from the Va. Tech game on with a torn Pectoral muscle. an injury that most sit out for and have surgery to repair. He however played and gutted his way through the season.

Big whoop. I've gone through this whole season with a torn tendon in my right index finger, and do you see me taking time off? No! I'm here typing away every day. You gotta play through the pain. Williams should have been an Outland contender, even with a torn pec. Rub some dirt on it, for crying out loud! *

* - I'm not using the sarcasm smiley because it's obvious

What is your predection for next year's o-line??

LT-Hardwick

LG-Williams/Qvale

C-Caputo

RG-Henry/Qvale

RT-Marcel Jones

I rly feel that Qvale will get some serious PT next year. Im real excited about Hardwick. It will be so nice to have an athletic and physical LT.

We should be much better next year - maybe not where we want to be evantually, but much deeper and improved from this year. Even with Hardrick I think Smith is the best LT on the roster next year - I think Hardrick may be a LT someday, but this year I want to see him at RT.

Injuries and an utter lack of depth killed us this year. With Burkes, our depth is excellent, without him we had no RT that we could depend on, and with MJones as our backup LT the injuries to Smith and MJones were crushing. As it was, Williams played with a torn pec (not a great season, but he was hurting), smith had ankle and back injuries and could have used about 2 weeks off to heal, but never got them, Caputo will likely have surgery off season, MJones had numerous injuries, and Hickman was banged up a lot also.

I see:

LT: Smith; Hardrick/MJones/Sirles or Coffey

LG: Williams/Qvale; Choi

C: Caputo; Thorson/Ash

RG: Henry/Qvale; DJ Jones

RT: Hardrick; MJones/Sirles or Coffey

Looks like a pretty good projection at this time, Wisdom. Deeper than last year. Until guys start getting banged up again.

Any idea how Quentin Toailoa is coming along? Bo didn't put him on D did he? I wouldn't be surprised to see him start working up the depth chart.

[...

Any idea how Quentin Toailoa is coming along? Bo didn't put him on D did he? I wouldn't be surprised to see him start working up the depth chart.

He got moved from DT to OG earlier in they year, but he was beaten out for the 105 man roster by Choi and Thorson IIRC. He did have a lot to learn about playing OG and did need a full year of S&C after his shoulder injury last year. I haven't heard much, but we'll know more in the spring.

tons or reasons to expect our Oline to be much improved.

They learn how to run block like men... not a bunch of nancy Missouri style run blocking. (our identity changed mid-year, which changed a lot of blocking philosophy...made for a rough transition)

Another year of S&C

A year to get healthy

Added Depth... Several of the new guys are poised to make a big impact

The list goes on. This was a rough year for Barney. I am not 100% sold on him, but the best Oline coach in the country would have struggled with what we had. He needs another year for sure before people throw him under the bus completely.

tons or reasons to expect our Oline to be much improved.

They learn how to run block like men... not a bunch of nancy Missouri style run blocking. (our identity changed mid-year, which changed a lot of blocking philosophy...made for a rough transition)

Another year of S&C

A year to get healthy

Added Depth... Several of the new guys are poised to make a big impact

The list goes on. This was a rough year for Barney. I am not 100% sold on him, but the best Oline coach in the country would have struggled with what we had. He needs another year for sure before people throw him under the bus completely.

Yes, it was rough sledding for the OLine this year to be sure. Between all the injuries and having to learn 15 different offenses....well....it can't get much worse.

How will the o-line get better if Cotton doesn't emphasize technique. That's a pretty big part of being an o-lineman.

And anyone else think that Marcel and DJ Jones have no business being a tackle? Switch them to guard and put someone else at tackle who has a quicker first step. The way DEs blow around them is mind boggling.

And anyone else think that Marcel and DJ Jones have no business being a tackle? Switch them to guard and put someone else at tackle who has a quicker first step. The way DEs blow around them is mind boggling.

Man, ain't that the truth! We can't have our QB running for his life immediately after a five-step drop. Just can't happen.

I've heard a lot about the injuries these guys have had, but I've never seen a run down. Anyone have a description of the injuries our O Line suffered this year?

Man, ain't that the truth! We can't have our QB running for his life immediately after a five-step drop. Just can't happen.

I've heard a lot about the injuries these guys have had, but I've never seen a run down. Anyone have a description of the injuries our O Line suffered this year?

- Smith had back problems

- Williams has a shoulder injury

- Hickman has had a bad ankle nearly all year

- Marcel Williams was out a bit and has been injured of the year. Trying to remember what his issue was though.

In the recent interview with Wats he was praising the freshmen o linemen pretty heavily. He got asked which freshmen did he think would come in and help the offense next year and he said Qvale and Sirles would have competed this year but they ended up having to have surgery. He then mentioned Ash as getting a lot better throughout the season bc he had to go against Suh every day and held up pretty well. He also said that Coffey has been pretty decent and expects him to be a very good player. Overall I was pretty excited with what he said about the youngsters on the o line.