Texas Tech suspends Leach

By Don Williams on December 28th, 2009 73 Comments Printer-Friendly

The player suffered a concussion at practice on Dec. 16 and Leach thought the player was faking.

The next day at practice, the player was ordered to stand in a shed. Leach had him watched and when he sat down, Leach had things removed from the shed so he could not sit down.

Two days later, Leach had the player stand in a dark room for three hours.

I've never played college football, but is this a "typical" punishment for this kind of alleged behavior? It sounds a little "Go to the hole" prison-style punishment. (Oz anybody?)

If people thought Billy C or Watson threw the ball around a lot then to even consider Leach for OC is laughable. His pass happy no run offense would never work in Nebraska the weather wouldn’t allow it. <_<:sarcasm

Just like Mark Magino, Mike Leach is nothing more then a big boob who thinks he is bigger then he is and his d-bagness appears to be catching up to him.

I just have a hard time believing any of this, especially in this day and age of helicopter parents and with all of the spotlight that has been on the NFL and concussions there's no way a coach is going to rush a 18-20 year old kid back too soon from a concussion. In this day and age, you look at a kid the wrong way and they're going to go crying to Mommy & Daddy.

Leach might be guilty of bad judgement, but with the kid's daddy being a high profile ESPN CFB announcer, sadly i'm sure the $hit is going to hit the fan.

Found this little nugget last night regarding Tebow's recovery from a concussion:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_claus...ion-remain.html

According to Meyer, Tebow is not allowed to read or watch television "until later in the week -- maybe Thursday." Meyer said that UF's general protocol for players with concussions is a "non-stimulus environment, like a dark room, and rest as much as you can."

The only thing that pisses me off about this is that he didn't let the kid sit down.

Other than that, I don't see what the big deal is.

The kid is being punished for following Doctors orders. The ball was dropped all around. I'm sure the training staff new he visited the doctor. There is a daily injury report for injury for legal reasons. If Mike Leach chose not to read the report (unless there was no injury report) and took it to an extreme because he was upset with the kid's concussion that's wrong. Don't get me wrong I all for the tough love aspect of FB. We just need to be smart with handling head injuries.

On a side note Craig James will not broadcast the Alamo Bowl.

This pretty much explains the whole situation, and I don't doubt a word of it:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=5362438

So basically, Adam James wanting special treatment (transfer to SMU despite Leach's long-standing transfer policy) and Meyer's personal hatred for Leach combine to get Leach kicked out of town. I actually feel bad for Tech fans because I have very little doubt that Tech will fall into mediocrity without Leach, and probably won't get out of it for many years.

This pretty much explains the whole situation, and I don't doubt a word of it:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=5362438

So basically, Adam James wanting special treatment (transfer to SMU despite Leach's long-standing transfer policy) and Meyer's personal hatred for Leach combine to get Leach kicked out of town. I actually feel bad for Tech fans because I have very little doubt that Tech will fall into mediocrity without Leach, and probably won't get out of it for many years.

Wow...pretty interesting read there.

Ok so if he was to be in a "dark place" why not the training room or somewhere else? A shed and an electrical closet makes no sense. Concussions are no joke and although i heard that all injured players must be present at practice in some form at TT, this is a little out of whack, and where were the trainers? This could get ugly.

I was going to ask earlier: when did this kid get his concussion? I am not doubting it(yet) but could it have been faked?

edited to add:I ask this because the allegations do not pass the reasonableness test so I have some doubt as to the validity of the situation that produced the allegations. Leach could still be very guilty- and if he is he should be fired. But I have a hunch that there are some mitigating factors.