SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

The scuttlebutt around other sites is the reason for Carnes getting his scholly offer retracted is because the finally got to review his transcripts.

Which is why I thought we started to cool on him, plus his relationship with the WKU coaches, and playing time makes WKU a better fir for Brion. I don't blame him one bit for going to WKU. Why head to a program where chances are you might not get in, most likely will never see a starting role, and don't have as good of a relationship with the coaches. He's making the right choice.

Congratulations Brion!!! Although you should start preparing to get ready to be pancaked by Crick, Steinkuhler, Allen, Ankrah, And Meredith... when you come to Lincoln in September.

Can I just say, I love how all these new Player names are popping up as Recruiting profiles out of nowhere. It's like a mahem has let loose, ppl want a QB no matter how far down they have to dig into Athletes to find a develop-able one. Word breaks loose that Carnes is out, ppl start jumping for :star :star :star Athlete/QB converts they would have ridiculed NU for even looking at had it been a couple weeks ago. PPl just want to give out the scholies. Hilarious!! :cheers

Why change now, We already got about 2 or 3 that are 3 stars and converted DB at the number three depth chart at QB.
  • Fire 1

If he was actually silly enough to demand playing time as a true freshman, I think we'd be better off saving the scholly for someone else.

Im torn on this type of thing. I agree with you, but at the same time, I try to put myself in his shoes.

On one hand, that kind of salt is what a Qb needs, and you cant really blame a kid for wanting to play, especially when he has options. Why wouldnt he ask, and want to go somewhere he could potentially play right away?

On the other hand, if he's not willing to be a team guy and wait his turn, then screw 'em.

I dont know whats right. Its all good. We'll be fine, and hopefully he will too.

I know I shouldn't hold this decision against him, but I do. I hope he is the starter next season just want to see what happens when Crick gets his hands on him.

I can understand your point since his decision shows that he is backing away from competition. The only way his decision makes sense to me (since grades aren't the issue) is if he doesn't have enough confidence in his abilities to compete at a high level and beat out other highly recruited players. And so in light of this, I actually feel bad for the kid that he knows he's not good enough to see the field at a big school like Nebraska. Of course the other possibility is that Brion is too lazy to compete or just wants to be the big man on campus all four years.

I honestly think that if i were in his shoes i would have picked WKU too. He wants to play, not sit on the bench and learn to maybe never see playing time. Plus getting compared to his Uncle might get tiresome.

I know what you mean, but at the same time wouldn't you want to compete against the very best? Wouldn't you want to see if you are good enough to not only beat out the other QBs on your team, but lead a top tier program to greatness? You would also be choosing to get a degree with considerably less academic prestige.

As for the comparisons with his cousin, I really don't think that would be an issue unless he came close to Tommie's level of greatness. After all, he's only a cousin, not a brother or son.

I honestly think that if i were in his shoes i would have picked WKU too. He wants to play, not sit on the bench and learn to maybe never see playing time. Plus getting compared to his Uncle might get tiresome.

I know what you mean, but at the same time wouldn't you want to compete against the very best? Wouldn't you want to see if you are good enough to not only beat out the other QBs on your team, but lead a top tier program to greatness? You would also be choosing to get a degree with considerably less academic prestige.

As for the comparisons with his cousin, I really don't think that would be an issue unless he came close to Tommie's level of greatness. After all, he's only a cousin, not a brother or son.

I thought Tommie was his uncle?? my bad if it is just a cousin.

I agree, but i understand him wanting to play NOW!

The scuttlebutt around other sites is the reason for Carnes getting his scholly offer retracted is because the finally got to review his transcripts.

Which is why I thought we started to cool on him, plus his relationship with the WKU coaches, and playing time makes WKU a better fir for Brion. I don't blame him one bit for going to WKU. Why head to a program where chances are you might not get in, most likely will never see a starting role, and don't have as good of a relationship with the coaches. He's making the right choice.

Again, the rumors about his grades are absolutely not true and nothing more than a cop out to make us feel like we really didn't get 'beat' by WKU for a recruit.

Carnes' grades didn't change in the matter of just a few days after we went on a mid-week in-home with Carnes and thought we had the deal sealed.

As I said before, if there was even the slightest doubt by the NU coaches, they would have continued recruiting Fajardo and extended an offer over the weekend. The coaching staff loved Fajardo's film and that Bob Johnson would personally vouch for Fajardo's talents.

Instead, we went on the in-home with Carnes, some things were said, and then the coaches told Fajardo not to come. Carnes goes on the visit, things change and now we are where we are.

Coaches wanted a QB in this class. We had it down to two. We thought we had one. We, as of right now, are getting burned for thinking it.

I'm inclined to believe that things can/will still change.

But at this point, why would anyone be that concerned about Carnes? Honestly, if Carnes is even in the slightest considering WKU over NU, I would not even want him. That speaks volumes to me about how much this kid wants to compete on a high level.

Call that sour grapes, or whatever you want. I call it the truth.

Putting WKU on a level, any type of level with Nebraska? My own father could coach WKU, and even if it was Missouri or KSU offering me, I would take the bigger offer to compete against top competition every single week.

That's a reason I think we are all gonna love Jamal Turner. Kid already thinks he is gonna take the job as a freshman for the '11 season. Not because he is cocky, but because he has that much self-confidence that he knows what he is capable of and he can back it up every time he steps on a field.

That's the thing you get out of so many players who go to USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma .. they don't care who is on a depth chart in front of them. They don't care who you recruited the year before or who they have to compete against. Those kids constantly believe it doesn't matter who is in front of them because they think they can compete. And that 'swag' is something we have missed for a while from a few of our athletes.

:yeah

Well said Big Willie

Again, the rumors about his grades are absolutely not true and nothing more than a cop out to make us feel like we really didn't get 'beat' by WKU for a recruit.

Carnes' grades didn't change in the matter of just a few days after we went on a mid-week in-home with Carnes and thought we had the deal sealed.

As I said before, if there was even the slightest doubt by the NU coaches, they would have continued recruiting Fajardo and extended an offer over the weekend. The coaching staff loved Fajardo's film and that Bob Johnson would personally vouch for Fajardo's talents.

Instead, we went on the in-home with Carnes, some things were said, and then the coaches told Fajardo not to come. Carnes goes on the visit, things change and now we are where we are.

Coaches wanted a QB in this class. We had it down to two. We thought we had one. We, as of right now, are getting burned for thinking it.

But at this point, why would anyone be that concerned about Carnes? Honestly, if Carnes is even in the slightest considering WKU over NU, I would not even want him. That speaks volumes to me about how much this kid wants to compete on a high level.

Putting WKU on a level, any type of level with Nebraska? My own father could coach WKU, and even if it was Missouri or KSU offering me, I would take the bigger offer to compete against top competition every single week.

That's a reason I think we are all gonna love Jamal Turner. Kid already thinks he is gonna take the job as a freshman for the '11 season. Not because he is cocky, but because he has that much self-confidence that he knows what he is capable of and he can back it up every time he steps on a field.

That's the thing you get out of so many players who go to USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma .. they don't care who is on a depth chart in front of them. They don't care who you recruited the year before or who they have to compete against. Those kids constantly believe it doesn't matter who is in front of them because they think they can compete. And that 'swag' is something we have missed for a while from a few of our athletes.

Excellent post. I agree 100%. Just listen to or read a transcript of a Jamal Turner interview and you will immediately see that he is extremely confident in his abilities. In an interview on 1620 yesterday he said he didn't care if Carnes committed this year because he believes he will beat out any competition he faces.

BTW, Carnes' high school head coach will be on the Schick and Nick show tomorrow morning on 1620. Today on Unsportsmanlike Conduct Kevin Kugler said that he didn't want to scoop the Schick and Nick show, but that Carnes' high school head coach felt really badly about how everything played out with Carnes' commitment and that he felt Carnes didn't handle Nebraska properly. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow morning, but I can't help but wonder if this means Carnes told Nebraska coaches during their in-home that he was planning on committing to NU. The reason I suspect this to be the case is because of how NU handled Fajardo immediately after the Carnes in-home. But we might never find out the truth behind this one.

You make some great points.

At the same time tho, Nebraska has never really been about the type of player your pointing out that goes to USC, Florida, etc. in those situations. In bursts they might send a grip of guys on to the NFL, but overall, is that what this program really is about? USC, Florida, whoever still has guys sitting on the bench. Who cares how great they are if thats what they are doing? If they went there because they thought they would trump everyone there right away, more than likely theyre not interested in giving their best on the scout teams. That kind of attitude goes both ways, and from what I can tell, in large numbers does more harm than good.