SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

This is all speculation. No one knows exactly why he made the decision he made. From a football perspective, maybe he feels he has a better chance of playing quarterback at WK. Steve McNair had a full ride offer from Florida, but gave it up because Alcorn St. promised that they would keep him at quarterback. I may be wrong, but I think McNair had quite a lengthy NFL career and was the last guy to have his 'competitive fire' questioned.

Carnes stated his reasons.

Carnes was only recruited as a QB, and would likely be ahead of anyone not named Lee as a passer on our squad. That alone would make sure he stays at QB.

McNair was 'recruited' by larger schools, but only MSU and Ole Miss offered, as a DB. McNair preferred QB, and found a place he could play QB.

Carnes situation is not similar to McNair, in any way.

The point that was obviously lost is that picking a smaller school doesn't mean that you're some kind of timid little kid who's scared of competition, which is what your previous post made it sound. If you're a player, you're a player, and in this day of wall-to-wall coverage of all things football, you'll get noticed. I'm just not prepared to say that Carnes isn't willing to 'run through a wall' because he didn't choose NU. That kind of sentiment is homerism at it's finest IMO.

Well it sounds like Carnes did commit to WKU, and his reasons were he felt a better relationship being coached by a former Manatee QB and maybe he felt that the expectations, fans have of him, being related to Tommy Frazier that we would expect a lot of out him.

I have to admit, we as fans, especially on here, have high expectations for them since they are related to legends who have played for the Huskers.

I think this plays a larger factor than we think. Living up to expectations can be rather difficult. I cant think of a relative of former players who has lived up to the hype. Mackovika...nope, Bo Ruud...nope, Andrew Shanle...nope, Steinkuhler....remains to be seen.

He appears to like being the big fish in a small pound.

I don't see it that way. I don't think it had anything to do with that, I just think he's a 17 year old kid who was leaving home for the first time and wanted to be around people he felt the most comfortable with. Thats it.

He appears to like being the big fish in a small pound.

I don't see it that way. I don't think it had anything to do with that, I just think he's a 17 year old kid who was leaving home for the first time and wanted to be around people he felt the most comfortable with. Thats it.

Why are we being so light on Brion when we were so harsh on Tyler, Josh Freeman, Blaine, etc? Blaine didn't deserve it, but apparently, thanks to Brion playing our coaches, we told our other QB candidate to move on when it turns out Brion didn't really mean the things he was saying anyway.

I'm not commenting on talent or desire - but Brion's freely throwing around of words burned us. Not much bettter than Tyler IMO. If you're really unsure and need the time, say so and we'll offer the other guy. Don't make us cancel the other guy to give you the spot, then tell us oops, you weren't sure after all. Pretty selfish IMO.

This is all speculation. No one knows exactly why he made the decision he made. From a football perspective, maybe he feels he has a better chance of playing quarterback at WK. Steve McNair had a full ride offer from Florida, but gave it up because Alcorn St. promised that they would keep him at quarterback. I may be wrong, but I think McNair had quite a lengthy NFL career and was the last guy to have his 'competitive fire' questioned.

Carnes was only recruited as a QB, and would likely be ahead of anyone not named Lee as a passer on our squad. That alone would make sure he stays at QB.

McNair was 'recruited' by larger schools, but only MSU and Ole Miss offered, as a DB. McNair preferred QB, and found a place he could play QB.

Better than a healthy Spano? I do think he would be ahead of Green and LTW for sure, his throwing mechanics actually caught me a little off guard, his film camp didn't look bad at all IMO.

ALL I have to say is TURNER > CARNES

Great point.

Jamal Turner turned 17 yesterday. He ran for 2000 yards as a 16 year old and passed for another 2000 as a 16 year old. I think that is pretty amazing. I find it hard for anyone taken this year to get much playing time once Jamal gets here. He plans on enrolling early and competing right away, he intends to play early in his career.(per his interview on USC) His 9.25 yards per carry as a 16 year is going to be even higher next season.

When this recruit hopped on a plane for Kentucky he already knew this since this was announced on the Thurs before his trip. I thought the timing was going to hurt in Brion signing with Nebraska and we may never know but the signing of Turner may have killed this recruitment.

No big deal NU is going to be just fine with Turner.

agreed.... its a loose association at best

While I agree...

TURNER + CARNES > TURNER - CARNES

The thing Is I dont know If I agree with that I dont think carnes will evan be a factor I think that the competition with green/spano/martinez will be enough Cody green will be coming along well when turner gets here and I think we dont need any more competition . Turner Is a Prodigy I dont think carnes would start a single season at nebraska I think that Green would beat him out and once greens gone then turner would beat him out so I think carnes would be sitting on his ass alot drinking gatorade on the sidline.

While I agree...

The thing Is I dont know If I agree with that I dont think carnes will evan be a factor I think that the competition with green/spano/martinez will be enough Cody green will be coming along well when turner gets here and I think we dont need any more competition . Turner Is a Prodigy I dont think carnes would start a single season at nebraska I think that Green would beat him out and once greens gone then turner would beat him out so I think carnes would be sitting on his ass alot drinking gatorade on the sidline.

Is Turner a prodigy because he's a highly rated recruit?

Let's seriously not count our chickens before they hatch now.

As Big Willie said, Carnes can step on campus today and be the second best passer on the team behind Lee. He'd be a great insurance policy at worst if Green or Spano don't work out (very possible), Martinez doesn't stay a QB (likely), or Turner needs more time and isn't ready as a true freshman (very forgivable if that happens, isn't it?)

While I agree...

Is Turner a prodigy because he's a highly rated recruit?

Let's seriously not count our chickens before they hatch now.

As Big Willie said, Carnes can step on campus today and be the second best passer on the team behind Lee. He'd be a great insurance policy at worst if Green or Spano don't work out (very possible), Martinez doesn't stay a QB (likely), or Turner needs more time and isn't ready as a true freshman (very forgivable if that happens, isn't it?)

Like I said Once it was his turn I think that carnes would get beat out by turner I didnt say turner would start as a freshman I think he will be redshirted

Better than a healthy Spano? I do think he would be ahead of Green and LTW for sure, his throwing mechanics actually caught me a little off guard, his film camp didn't look bad at all IMO.

As sad as it is to say, yes. He and Spano would be in a dog fight for the 2nd best passer on our team.

That is why I don't get the people who think our QB situation is okay. We needed a QB in this class, preferably one who was a QB who could at least give us a reliable pass option.

As much as I love Jamal Turner and his electric ability in the open field, he is just the same as a passer. Completely raw and will need work to make people respect that part of his game as a QB.

I really hope Cody Green puts in some serious OT this offseason to work on his passing. If not, our '11 QB situation could be REALLY bad.

• Fire 1