SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

The USF Scout forum is saying that Carnes confirmed his commitment to USF this weekend. It's also saying that Ace Sanders liked what he heard from Skip Holtz as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carnes stays put at USF. Especially if Ace Sanders commits to USF as well. Afterall, it's close to home and he gets to play with his cousin and best friend.

Looks like Carnes will not force a decision by the staff. I say he cancels his visit and we go hard after Stump. Or, we skip a QB this year and stay with our top level recruits. Cooper, Owa, Fulton, Smitek

I agree.

The USF Scout forum is saying that Carnes confirmed his commitment to USF this weekend. It's also saying that Ace Sanders liked what he heard from Skip Holtz as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carnes stays put at USF. Especially if Ace Sanders commits to USF as well. Afterall, it's close to home and he gets to play with his cousin and best friend.

Looks like Carnes will not force a decision by the staff. I say he cancels his visit and we go hard after Stump. Or, we skip a QB this year and stay with our top level recruits. Cooper, Owa, Fulton, Smitek

I agree.

damn........... :steam

Dang. A night out with the girl friend and people beat me to some news. :) I better sort out my priorities.

But anyways I could care less if we get a QB this year or not. We get Jamal Turner next year and he will have 3 years to play. He is also a December graduate so he will be on campus 2.5 years before he starts as a RS Soph.

Dang. A night out with the girl friend and people beat me to some news. :) I better sort out my priorities.

But anyways I could care less if we get a QB this year or not. We get Jamal Turner next year and he will have 3 years to play. He is also a December graduate so he will be on campus 2.5 years before he starts as a RS Soph.

*sigh*

While i respect a ton of the stuff you bring to the table recruiting wise, I really don't get the whole anointing someone a starter. I mean, that's gone over soooo well for green hasn't it? Especially with how raw Turner is. Not saying at all that he won't turn out to be good or great, but still, why are we putting so much pressure on a kid that is just starting his 6th semester of high school?

I agree with EZ, what's the problem saying we expect someone to start their third year on campus? I don't think a lot of people expected Green to start right away rather more so saying that he couldn't have possibly been worse than Lee. Nobody is trying to make him sound like he's going to start from day one or even during his second year. I would much rather have Owa, Cooper and Fulton in this class than take a qb.

*sigh*

While i respect a ton of the stuff you bring to the table recruiting wise, I really don't get the whole anointing someone a starter. I mean, that's gone over soooo well for green hasn't it? Especially with how raw Turner is. Not saying at all that he won't turn out to be good or great, but still, why are we putting so much pressure on a kid that is just starting his 6th semester of high school?

There is quite a bit of difference between what I was saying with Jamal Turner and the Cody Green situation this year. Cody Green is a true freshman this year as Jamal Turner I expect to start as a RS Soph.

Rivals stills has him listed as a "soft verbal" if that means anything.

apparently it doenst mean much to the UCF people.....

thought we might have had this one wrapped up

I knew that it was going to be a tough task to get him out of the state of Florida. If USF had drug their coaching hire out a couple weeks longer I would have liked our chances. But since they hired one right away (and a good one) he was more likely to stay in state.

I knew that it was going to be a tough task to get him out of the state of Florida. If USF had drug their coaching hire out a couple weeks longer I would have liked our chances. But since they hired one right away (and a good one) he was more likely to stay in state.

yahoo/rivals has this about most of the staff being let go at USF. Not sure if Carnes was close to any of these coaches.

News Flash: USF hires Snyder

By Tom Dienhart, Yahoo! Sports

1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Buzz up!

Print

Mark Snyder has been hired as the defensive coordinator at South Florida, Rivals.com has learned.

Snyder spent the past five years as the head coach at Marshall, compiling a 22-37 record. He resigned at the end of the regular season despite guiding the Thundering Herd to a bowl bid.

More From Tom Dienhart

News Flash: FIU tabs coordinators Jan 16, 2010

Snyder also has been defensive coordinator at Ohio State (2001-04), running a defense that helped the Buckeyes win the 2002 national title. Snyder previously served on staffs at Minnesota (1996-2000) and Youngstown State (1991-1995).

New Bulls coach Skip Holtz continues to shape his staff, according to the St. Petersburg Times. He has opted to let go of offensive coordinator Mike Canales, defensive coordinator Joe Tresey, offensive line coach Mike Simmonds, linebackers coach David Blackwell and special teams coach John Hendrick.

Holtz will keep defensive line coach Kevin Patrick and tight ends coach Larry Scott.

Golden staying at Temple

Temple’s Al Golden is not a candidate for the East Carolina job.

Golden led the Owls to a 9-4 record and their first bowl since 1979. His name has been mentioned in various job openings this offseason. But Golden is committed to returning to Temple for his fifth season.

ECU eyes Broadway

East Carolina has asked Grambling for permission to talk to coach Rod Broadway.

The North Carolina native has been Grambling’s coach the past three seasons. Broadway was an ECU assistant from 1979-80. He also was head coach at North Carolina Central and served on staffs at North Carolina, Florida and Duke.

yahoo/rivals has this about most of the staff being let go at USF. Not sure if Carnes was close to any of these coaches.

1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Buzz up!

Print

Mark Snyder has been hired as the defensive coordinator at South Florida, Rivals.com has learned.

Snyder spent the past five years as the head coach at Marshall, compiling a 22-37 record. He resigned at the end of the regular season despite guiding the Thundering Herd to a bowl bid.

More From Tom Dienhart

Snyder also has been defensive coordinator at Ohio State (2001-04), running a defense that helped the Buckeyes win the 2002 national title. Snyder previously served on staffs at Minnesota (1996-2000) and Youngstown State (1991-1995).

New Bulls coach Skip Holtz continues to shape his staff, according to the St. Petersburg Times. He has opted to let go of offensive coordinator Mike Canales, defensive coordinator Joe Tresey, offensive line coach Mike Simmonds, linebackers coach David Blackwell and special teams coach John Hendrick.

Holtz will keep defensive line coach Kevin Patrick and tight ends coach Larry Scott.

Golden staying at Temple

Golden led the Owls to a 9-4 record and their first bowl since 1979. His name has been mentioned in various job openings this offseason. But Golden is committed to returning to Temple for his fifth season.

ECU eyes Broadway

The North Carolina native has been Grambling’s coach the past three seasons. Broadway was an ECU assistant from 1979-80. He also was head coach at North Carolina Central and served on staffs at North Carolina, Florida and Duke.

wow this hurts usf...i went to marshall during the snyder era and we never even sniffed a bowl game until this year. snyder is horrible when the game is on the line. but on the other hand he was pretty good as a d-coordinater at ohio st. as a marshall alum i wish him the best of luck at usf.

1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Buzz up!

Print

More From Tom Dienhart

Golden staying at Temple

ECU eyes Broadway

wow this hurts usf...i went to marshall during the snyder era and we never even sniffed a bowl game until this year. snyder is horrible when the game is on the line. but on the other hand he was pretty good as a d-coordinater at ohio st. as a marshall alum i wish him the best of luck at usf.

From a USF recruiting blog.

Canales was recruiting Carnes, wonder if his leaving will result in Carnes going elsewhere?

OC for USF, Mike Canales was let go. This could pave the way for us to land Carnes. Let's see how this plays out this weekend.

Rivals staff says he's still taking visits to Nebraska, W. Kentucky, and possibly another school. Per his HS coach this morning. Apparently the fact that they didn't retain Cannales (sp?) the OC/QB coach isn't helping their cause.

Carnes isn't listed by this author as a commit to USF. Since he re-opened his recruiting he took him off their list. Rivals is still showing a soft verbal for Carnes to USF, they should take that down.

Link to article: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls-football-recruiting-update/1066064

USF

Key losses: DE George Selvie, DE Jason Pierre-Paul, LB Kion Wilson, FS Nate Allen, CB Jerome Murphy, DT Aaron Harris, LB Chris Robinson, WR Carlton Mitchell, TE Ben Busbee, WR Jessie Hester, P Delbert Alvarado

Oral commitments (10)

Player Pos. HT./WT. High School

Josh Bellamy WR 6-1/207 Boca Ciega/Butte (Calif.) College

Mike Hayes RB 5-9/195 East Bernard (Tex.)/Blinn (Tex.) College

Jose Jose C 6-1/330 Miami Central

Mark Joyce S 6-1/210 DeLand

Tony Kibler OG 6-5/285 Belle Glade Glades Day

Jamaal Montague WR 6-1/185 Lake City Columbia

Tiger Powell RB 5-11/205 Lake City Columbia

Daron Rose OT 6-5/290 Jefferson/FSU/ASA (N.Y.) Institute

Marcus Shaw RB 5-10/180 Arcadia DeSoto

Chris Veron P 6-1/205 Ocala Forest

early enrolLeEs (4)

Claude Davis DE 6-4/247 Lake Gibson/East Miss. JC

Austin Reiter OT 6-4/255 Lakewood Ranch

Curtis Weatherspoon LB 6-2/205 Valdosta (Ga.)/Dean (Mass.) College

Brandon Wilkinson DE 6-4/215 Venice

Hot prospects: A few players who committed to USF re-opened their recruiting since coach Jim Leavitt was fired, most prominently Bradenton Manatee quarterback Brion Carnes and Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Todd Chandler. The Bulls have 11 recruits in town this weekend and hope to build off the excitement of hiring Skip Holtz, who hopes to pick up his first commitments before holding another key group of visits next weekend. One big target this weekend is Carnes' teammate, receiver Ace Sanders, a cousin of USF receiver A.J. Love. The Bulls don't have a full allotment of scholarships, but they have picked up more with two juniors — Pierre-Paul and Mitchell — leaving early for the NFL draft.

Greg Auman, Times staff writer

[Last modified: Jan 16, 2010 10:22 PM]