Zac Lee will be the starter

Ya know, I was on the fence about Lee starting a couple days ago, but as I rewatch some of the nebraska games towards the end of the season and realizing that his elbow had torn ligaments, the plays that Zac Lee DID make, looked very good. He has the capability to run. No its not Frazier-esque...or crouch-esque. However it will be substantial enough to help our RBs in the zone read-ish game.

Lee's passing will only be better once healthy.

I think this off season QB issue stuff is just motivator for Zac Lee. Thats it, nothing else.

Now, we will probably see Green and Martinez in the early games like Pelini said, but the coaching staff knows it will be Lee all the way.

• Fire 2

I think this off season QB issue stuff is just motivator for Zac Lee. Thats it, nothing else.

I agree that Lee will start the first game, but I wonder how much of this is head-game motivation stuff and how much is the real deal. They already benched Lee for two starts last year.

Motivation stuff or not, he won't have a long leash. Green will only be better this year than he was last year, and Martinez will get some snaps this year, guaranteed. Lee has to be sharp.

I just do not see Green as the competitor he needs to concern himself with. Martinez has the wheels to make the difference.

Zac played most of the year injured and was still better than a healthy Green. I disagree on the leash being short. If he is healed he will be the starter is my guess. If he has not recovered or has digressed, my guess is we will see Martinez and Green sharing the spot, with Martinez taking it over as the year goes on.

I see Zac playing like he did in the Holiday Bowl, if not a little better. If he plays at that level, neither of the other two will see the field in real game time minutes.

I agree that Lee will start the first game, but I wonder how much of this is head-game motivation stuff and how much is the real deal. They already benched Lee for two starts last year.

Motivation stuff or not, he won't have a long leash. Green will only be better this year than he was last year, and Martinez will get some snaps this year, guaranteed. Lee has to be sharp.

HOPEFULLY this all means that Lee will always know that in the back of his head Green/Martinez are there, waiting for him to mess up. This will drive Lee

to success. Maybe last year he didnt feel that pressure, as Greenwas a true frosh, Spano was hurt and Washington wasnt a first string material.

Was he actually benched or was he hurt and the coaches were trying to give him as much time off as they could to help his elbow heal?

• Fire 1

Was he actually benched or was he hurt and the coaches were trying to give him as much time off as they could to help his elbow heal?

this. and thank you for bringing that up.

I think this whole QB controversy stuff is getting way overblown. If Zac Lee really is close to 100% then the coaches don't have much choice but to start him. Given Green's less than stellar performances so far, coupled with T Mart's youth and inexperience and the coaches are going to be left with very few options to open the season.

I think the real controversy is going to start next March. Now that competition could to get interesting! :snacks:

• Fire 1

That is a good question, and we'll get blood out of a turnip before Bo tells us the answer to that.

Ya know, I was on the fence about Lee starting a couple days ago, but as I rewatch some of the nebraska games towards the end of the season and realizing that his elbow had torn ligaments, the plays that Zac Lee DID make, looked very good. He has the capability to run. No its not Frazier-esque...or crouch-esque. However it will be substantial enough to help our RBs in the zone read-ish game.

Lee's passing will only be better once healthy.

Now, we will probably see Green and Martinez in the early games like Pelini said, but the coaching staff knows it will be Lee all the way.

Let me first just say that I want the best quarterback to start and if that means Zac Lee, then that's perfectly fine. That being said....

Saying that Lee's passing will only get better because he will be healthy is, at this point, speculation. We know that Zac Lee's elbow was hurt last year, but we don't know just how much it inhibited his ability to throw. To be frank, Lee made A LOT of bad passes last season....it seemed like every time he threw a deep ball it was underthrown and inside (exactly where they teach you not to throw the deep ball). Was that because of the injury or was it because he just consistently made bad passes? Can't say for sure, but I'm confident we'll find out this fall. The Texas game was a prime example of how he threw many of his deep balls and we paid for it twice with interceptions.

A few other points of concern for me are pocket presence, decision making and confidence. Lee's pocket presence was awful last year and that was evident in every game, save the Holiday Bowl and the Sunbelt tour. There were too many times where Lee couldn't feel the pressure and consequently took a sack. Lee wasn't the best decision maker last season...there were plenty of times where he had boat loads of room to run, but opted to try and squeeze in a throw. As mentioned above, Lee is no Tommy Frazier, but he is a decently mobile QB and he needs to utilize his legs when he has room. Also, I've pointed out many times and don't wanna sound like a broke record, but I don't like the way Lee runs the zone read. Watching the Holiday bowl it seemed like he gave the ball every time....even would the DE would play Helu/Burkhead. Lastly, confidence. IMO Lee looked timid the whole season. As a quarterback, you have to be a leader and that means playing with confidence.

If Lee can come out and perform this season at a high level, then I'd love for him to be the starter. What really grinds my gears is the people that rag on Cody Green for the way he performed last season. Green didn't play amazing last season in the limited action we saw...there were some mental breakdowns and some errant throws, but he played like exactly what he was: a true freshman. Green is going to get better. Bottom line. Will it be enough to claim the starting QB job? Nobody knows yet. I will say that Green is the player that I am most excited to see get in the game this fall because I want to see how spending another year in the system/training has helped his game.

At the end of the day I just want the best guy to start.

I agree that Lee will be the no. 1 guy this year. He has a year under his belt (an injured year no less) so we can all reasonably expect him to be improved. The degree of his improvement is anyone's guess. I will be upset, however, if we fail to utilize the wildcat/option abilities of Martinez/Rex/Green.

I, on the other hand don't mind sounding like a broken record. Lee stunk last year. If I hear about those damn elbow ligaments again, I'll puke. If it hurt that bad, he wouldn't have been throwing, he couldn't have thrown, he would have been sitting. No one I know of even saw him grab his elbow after a pass. I don't care if you are trying not to act hurt, if it hurts enough, it will show. Maudfather was right about all of the other questionable skills. He CAN"T run. He looked in over his head, because he was. If he does start, it only means all of our qb's stink. We will need Brion and Jamal to get ready quickly then. We also need to convince Bubba to play football over taking the $$$. As for TMart not being ready, who knows about his maturity level? It does take a rare guy to start so soon and play well, but Robert Griffin did it and did it well. Maybe TMart can do it too. I hope so. Again, if Lee is our qb, our D WILL have to be better than last year. No mistakes! :worship

Do you really think that an injury so severe that it would require surgery to repair was going to benefit all that much from a week off?

• Fire 1

Do you really think that an injury so severe that it would require surgery to repair was going to benefit all that much from a week off?

Rest helps. Do you think that the injury needed surgery at that point in the year?

That is a really good point and I never really thought of that. Green's first start was against Baylor and thats a good team to place an inexperience QB like Green to get his feet wet while Lee gets some rest. Green didn't do to stellar against Oklahoma nor did Lee but Lee did put us on the board. Lee looked better in the bowl game even with a bum elbow than Greens performance because Green just couldn't put on a good drive.

I, on the other hand don't mind sounding like a broken record. Lee stunk last year. If I hear about those damn elbow ligaments again, I'll puke. If it hurt that bad, he wouldn't have been throwing, he couldn't have thrown, he would have been sitting. No one I know of even saw him grab his elbow after a pass. I don't care if you are trying not to act hurt, if it hurts enough, it will show. Maudfather was right about all of the other questionable skills. He CAN"T run. He looked in over his head, because he was. If he does start, it only means all of our qb's stink. We will need Brion and Jamal to get ready quickly then. We also need to convince Bubba to play football over taking the $$$. As for TMart not being ready, who knows about his maturity level? It does take a rare guy to start so soon and play well, but Robert Griffin did it and did it well. Maybe TMart can do it too. I hope so. Again, if Lee is our qb, our D WILL have to be better than last year. No mistakes! :worship

I am optimistic with Zac but I find this argument convincing. He's probably the worst QB on our roster talent-wise, but he's obviously the most experienced. Someone's gotta step up. :dunno