QB Race

exactly. bama did not have a 'great' qb, but they had a guy who could manage the game and distribute the ball.

this thread has made me pretty upset, so here is my final qb manifesto. i will go through my thoughts on each qb.

green: maybe my favorite, but i do not think he will or should start. i like him because i think he is the most talented athletically. unfortunately, he does not seem to through as good as lee or run as good as t-mart. however, his biggest problem seems to be adapting to the speed of the game and making good decisions. he needs some experience to learn how to read a defense and check-down on his receivers. i hope he gets some playtime and that it aids in his maturation process.

t-mart: the grass is always greener candidate. i have nothing personal against him, but he is too one-dimensional, especially for our offense. now, he may be a big enough threat on his feet that it will open up the pass, but even then he will need a level of skill and competence to read the defense and complete the pass. we have a great backfield and burkhead can handle the wildcat. basically, we gain nothing from t-mart and we lose our receivers and tight-ends. he seems exciting and i hope he is utilized as a third down threat and gets some playing time, but i do not think he should start. i think a lot of people believe that because he is such a talent, he has to be on the field, but that does not mean he should start. we should find ways to utilize him.

lee: i am a lee apologist because i think he gets a pretty bad wrap for last year. we had four losses and i do not think you can blame a single loss on him. isu was bad luck (our offense actually performed well statistically, except for to's, obviously), ttu was a complete breakdown, and we were in position to win in the other two losses. now, a more potent offense could have put those games away and we would not have had to lean so much on the defense; however, a more potent offense is not the same as a more potent qb. zac was playing behind a shallow, injured, depleted o-line and behind him were injured backs. the receivers played poor for most of the year. it is hard to judge how good or bad lee is, or any qb right now because of last years conditions and t-mart's inexperience. here is what lee gives us, he can manage a game, complete a pass, and fully utilize our two running backs. that looks like a pretty balanced offense that will win the ball control and field position battles, as long as we have a healthy strong o-line. people blame lee for bad decision making and bad throws, well that is easy to do when you have no protection and your wide-outs can not get open. he had to look-on because he did not have time to check-down and he had to hope his guy would be able to get open and get to the ball. the success of our team depends on the o-line. now, you couple a balanced, ball control offense that can score in the redzone with our defense and that is a winning combination. our defense takes a lot of pressure off of the offense. the offense needs to methodically move the ball with stability and help keep the defense off the field. we do not need a great playmaker at qb, just a good game manager. the running backs will help us with our redzone woes and the lee/wide out combo will always be a threat that will keep the opposing defense off balance. now, if lee can not read the defense and still does not go through his progressions, he should not start, but i think he is the guy that can get the most out of our offense.

now, there is no doubt in my mind that BO and watson will pick the best guy and right guy and i will be excited for whoever that may be, but those are my thoughts.

• Fire 3

After reading through the list of comments that Bo made concerning the QBs, I would now not be the least bit surprised to see Martinez take the reins this season.

Compare:

Zac Lee: "He has the most experience but really hurt himself missing spring ball."

to

Taylor Martinez: "Explosive athlete, strong arm, talented."

Add to this one simple observation: Lee is not, and won't be, a running quarterback. He doesn't have it in him, and as many in the media have been pointing out, the personality of this head coach and the persistent trends in recruiting all point to a fiery QB who can make plays with his feet. I still believe that Lee will be the first quarterback to take a snap, but I would not be surprised if he didn't take them against Washington.

The problem that I have with this whole situation is that if Taylor is indeed being seriously looked at as the Nebraska quarterback for the next four years, at least as far as this season is concerned, the WKU and Idaho games don't appear to me to be games he can afford to share. He's a redshirt freshman with not so much as a snap to his name on the big stage, or even the smaller stage of a home game against Western Kentucky, one of the worst teams in football. Does anyone really think that eight quarters of football––even against patsies––won't contribute to his maturation? I'm not a fan of this "wait until Washington" mentality that a lot of the fanbase and possibly the coaches have resorted to. If Taylor is the pick in the end, it will only be to his disadvantage.

• Fire 1

After reading through the list of comments that Bo made concerning the QBs, I would now not be the least bit surprised to see Martinez take the reins this season.

Compare:

Zac Lee: "He has the most experience but really hurt himself missing spring ball."

to

Add to this one simple observation: Lee is not, and won't be, a running quarterback. He doesn't have it in him, and as many in the media have been pointing out, the personality of this head coach and the persistent trends in recruiting all point to a fiery QB who can make plays with his feet. I still believe that Lee will be the first quarterback to take a snap, but I would not be surprised if he didn't take them against Washington.

The problem that I have with this whole situation is that if Taylor is indeed being seriously looked at as the Nebraska quarterback for the next four years, at least as far as this season is concerned, the WKU and Idaho games don't appear to me to be games he can afford to share. He's a redshirt freshman with not so much as a snap to his name on the big stage, or even the smaller stage of a home game against Western Kentucky, one of the worst teams in football. Does anyone really think that eight quarters of football––even against patsies––won't contribute to his maturation? I'm not a fan of this "wait until Washington" mentality that a lot of the fanbase and possibly the coaches have resorted to. If Taylor is the pick in the end, it will only be to his disadvantage.

While I agree with your statement that T-Magic starting would not be shocking, I think the media underplays Lee's running

Lee's running >= T-Magic's passing

Lee's Passing = T-Magic's runnig

tough call either way in about 4 days I will yell my lungs out cheering for any of the three. GBR

Compare:

to

Why did you leave out what he also said about cody? He said some good things about him also.

I'm still confused as to where all this assumption is coming from for Martinez. For a guy who hasn't played a snap of division one football, we only saw in a spring game, and have only heard what "inside" sources have said, some seem to be riding pretty high on him.

Even though my thread just got deleted (for whatever reason) I just wanted to point out something in today's press conference. When asked about Martinez, Bo said "We recruited Taylor as a Quarterback."

was just coming to post this. pretty funny stuff. vindication, eh saunders? :LOLtartar

Even though my thread just got deleted (for whatever reason) I just wanted to point out something in today's press conference. When asked about Martinez, Bo said "We recruited Taylor as a Quarterback."

was just coming to post this. pretty funny stuff. vindication, eh saunders? :LOLtartar

It's not about vindication, but the truth. So many people take what they hear at Huskers Illustrated as gospel, without checking around for 5 seconds. Many of the false rumors seem to originate on the forums there as well.

And you are taking what's said by Scout insiders as gospel, no? - so what's the difference?

Interesting quote by Bo, considering there's supposedly an article that came out during Taylor's recruitment that said coaches told him he was the #1 safety on the board. (A 'fact' which was also in dispute). What about us telling Cody Green for months that he was our one QB? With Green in the fold, did we really go after Taylor as a 2nd QB in spite of what Cody was told, or as an athlete?

If Taylor was recruited as a safety/athlete but absolutely adamant about wanting to play QB, and we decided to give him a shot there, then maybe that's why Bo told the media he was recruited as a QB. What's the point in saying, "We didn't see him as a QB originally, but decided to move him there?" - especially if we knew he was going to be given a "shot" by the time he signed? What a show of confidence for the kid. Supposedly LaTravis Washington also wasn't moved to QB for "depth reasons", but that doesn't change what it was.

It's pretty easy for the HC to play loose with the words "recruited as a QB", but I don't think you can dispute that Taylor did not come in with a scholarship offer for QB; just a scholarship offer and a 'shot'. That is different from a commit recruited to play QB such as Green, Spano, Lee, Ganz, Beck, pretty much everyone else.

Additionally, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Martinez was not our scout team QB, and he was working at WR even as of Bowl Practices. Was that a scholarship freshman QB being moved to a different position? Or an athlete that was just getting his shot and trying to find a fit for him. Plus, when we face opponents with fast QBs, I don't think it's at all unusual for an athlete at a different position to go in and simulate that guy for the defense.

And you are taking what's said by Scout insiders as gospel, no? - so what's the difference?

As a matter of fact, I don't. Sean Callahan was the one pimping the WR/DB line for Martinez the whole time, while Scout, HP, and a couple others said different.

Also, if anyone actually took 5 seconds to read my points, it was that Martinez may have been listed as an "Athlete" but he most certainly was coming in as a QB first and foremost. HOWEVER, because of his unique skillset, they knew he could play somewhere else if QB didn't work.

Okay - so you are taking some sources, while others are taking others.

Feel free to respond to my questions on Taylor not being the scout team QB last year. If he was a quarterback recruit all the way, what was he doing at WR? Did QB not work? Did we move him? And then move him back in the Spring? What about Green being our one QB? Was that misinformation too? :dunno

Okay - so you are taking some sources, while others are taking others.

Feel free to respond to my questions on Taylor not being the scout team QB last year. If he was a quarterback recruit all the way, what was he doing at WR? Did QB not work? Did we move him? And then move him back in the Spring? What about Green being our one QB? Was that misinformation too? :dunno

That's not entirely correct. I'm taking multiple sources, not one. Also, Taylor did play Scout QB as well as WR. When we were practicing for a Mobile QB, it was TM, not Kellogg, who was QB. I do know that he worked out at QB and WR last year. As for the other questions, I don't have all the answers. Who knows what goes through Bo and Wats' heads? This whole thing started when I pointed out that the myth of Martinez not being brought in to play QB was untrue, which I have proven. Then I got jumped on.