QB Race

For the love of straight f%#king with people, I pray that Bo runs the Wildcat the first play of the game. Make everyone wait a little longer to see who steps up under center as QB. There ya have it REX BURKHEAD WILL take the opening snap on the year!!

:nanalama:bigredn::rollin:rollin

well, that would probably result in a td, so then we would have to watch wku go three and out before we would see our qb take a snap.

Its a weird feeling for me. THe longer this plays out(to saturday most likely) i get the feeling that Bo is going to start Taylor Martinez. I have been a Lee supporter throughout and in the beginning of summer i was high on Lee coming back from surgery and lighting it up. I do trust the staff to put the best player fit to run our offense on the feild, but the more this plays out and the comments coming from camp lead me more toward #3. Im not saying i have any inside info or anything, just a gut feeling thats all. Who know if he starts and play one play in one game or finishes as a 4 year starter.

I need a time machine to take me to saturday.

GBR

Its a weird feeling for me. THe longer this plays out(to saturday most likely) i get the feeling that Bo is going to start Taylor Martinez. I have been a Lee supporter throughout and in the beginning of summer i was high on Lee coming back from surgery and lighting it up. I do trust the staff to put the best player fit to run our offense on the feild, but the more this plays out and the comments coming from camp lead me more toward #3. Im not saying i have any inside info or anything, just a gut feeling thats all. Who know if he starts and play one play in one game or finishes as a 4 year starter.

GBR

i completely agree with you and thank you for saving me the trouble of posting those thoughts.

what i want to know is when the qb position will be determined for good. i know nothing is ever completely final, but i want to know when it will be as final as it can be.

GBR

i completely agree with you and thank you for saving me the trouble of posting those thoughts.

what i want to know is when the qb position will be determined for good. i know nothing is ever completely final, but i want to know when it will be as final as it can be.

It has to be beneficial for the team to know the leader for the forseable future, right? If i were a member of the 1st team offense, i would for sure like to know who will be under center/calling plays/handing off the ball/passing the ball.

Right, it's understood that the final decision is always Bo's, but he's not going to go into that decision without input from Watson and the rest of the staff.

Of course he would ask for input, but ultimately, it is his sole decision because at the end of the day he will be the man held responsible.

I will flatly say there are offensive coaches who do not agree with Bo, at all.

But Bo loves Taylor's ability to change the game with his feet and the way he will force defenses to truly play 11-on-11 in the run game. He's willing to take some of the mistakes Taylor will make in the passing game just because he is so good on the field with his feet.

Basically, from here on, Taylor is the style of QB that Bo wants this offense to have and the type he will continue to recruit. If you cannot be a real weapon with your feet, you likely will not be at Nebraska playing QB.

While Zac is not a statue and neither is Cody, they are not a homerun threat on every play either like Taylor is when he takes off. That is the HUGE difference here.

Is not the first time Bo has disagreed with offensive coaches though, so it isn't a huge deal like I know someone will make it out to be. Bo wanted Cody to take over the job for good last year, but that never fully happened.

I will still hedge and say I am not fully convinced Taylor will start on Saturday, but I am slowly heading in that direction.

Excellent post.

A "real" running threat at qb is indeed the direction on offense that Bo wants and will have. I also agree that Bo knows full well there will be mistakes TMart will make as a freshman that will cause an uproar. But he'll also make big offensive plays that we'll all love. We probably won't have near as many 3 & outs but maybe more scary turnovers. It's a price that needs to be made with a freshman qb. In the long run it's worth it imo.

I hope Bo goes all out with this direction and it shows a the run/pass ration getting up to 65 to 70 per cent. NU for decades wore down defenses in the 2nd half and now with most defenses recruited and developed to stop heavy pass offenses we should start dominating the 4th qtr again.

GBR!!

Let me ask this another way. Bo's quote on Tuesday was that he didn't want to announce the starting QB yet, because he didn't want it to be a "circus." The speculation (or question) that Steven Sipple of the Journal Star had was, if Zac Lee is the starter, what "circus" would there be? Does the circus comment lead anybody else to believe that Martinez will be the guy?

• Fire 1

Let me ask this another way. Bo's quote on Tuesday was that he didn't want to announce the starting QB yet, because he didn't want it to be a "circus." The speculation (or question) that Steven Sipple of the Journal Star had was, if Zac Lee is the starter, what "circus" would there be? Does the circus comment lead anybody else to believe that Martinez will be the guy?

I thought that at first, but Samuel McKewon points out that it might just be a clever play on words by Bo - a circus has 3 rings and a 3 QB race.

On another board, a poster with a source that has proven reliable in the past is stating that T-Magic has practiced exlusively with the 1's so far this week, while Lee has practiced with the 1's and 2's. Take it FWIW.

I've seen this type of report a few different places as well. Maybe why Bo is playing things so close to the vest? Saturday can't get here fast enough...

He can't name one position without naming them all. And since he has said he's not releasing a depth chart, it doesn't make sense to proclaim a starter at quarterback now.

Oh, I agree that's why he hasn't released the depth chart either. At least last year, we had one pre-season (and in 2008 too). That's what leads me to believe it may be Martinez due to Bo's cloak and dagger operation.

Paranoia, Paranoia, everybody's coming to get me......

I'm actually pretty sad to hear all of this.

Let your offensive coaches do their job.

I love Bo's defensive acumen, but this sort of thing is really hard to get on board with.

You cannot be a head coach if you just defer. If he respects his coach's opinion, and they know he respects them, he doesn't have to agree with them. His job is to run this team.

As long as there exists mutual respect, that's not a problem.