1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just another reason to fork out more money.  It's amazing what the wedding industry has decided to convince people needs done.

I definitely feel that way to a degree, but it was fairly inexpensive and now we have photo memories to share that look really well done. I'm a fan.

It's like Valentine's Day in a way - some people look at it as a total corporate holiday that our society has convinced itself we need to take part in. But, I don't. I look at it as a way to slow things down, dote on the wife a little bit, enjoy an evening out and just appreciate one another. It's cheesy but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I definitely feel that way to a degree, but it was fairly inexpensive and now we have photo memories to share that look really well done. I'm a fan.

It's like Valentine's Day in a way - some people look at it as a total corporate holiday that our society has convinced itself we need to take part in. But, I don't. I look at it as a way to slow things down, dote on the wife a little bit, enjoy an evening out and just appreciate one another. It's cheesy but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Related image

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
Just now, NM11046 said:

Congrats!   Assuming you got the answer you wanted .... how did you do it??

We had a trip to Vegas planned for her spring break and I kept trying to set up events; helicopter tours, spa days, fancy dinners, etc. She kept shooting them all down because she just wanted to go to pool and drink and relax. We did end up going to a nice dinner one night (Mr. Chow's; which was great [get the sea bass!]). We're finishing up and I have the ring in my shirt pocket. The guy comes to ask if we need anything else and she blurts out "just the check!" So we're onto the next place, some fancy lounge for c$%ktails and dessert. It wasn't the right place either. I tried to do it in some private areas around the fountains outside Caesar's but she was really wanting to get back to the hotel because her feet were killing her. So I ended up doing it in our hotel room while we were having a night cap together by the window watching all the lights. She was super surprised (which is all I wanted) and she said she was happy it was a private thing for us instead of a big public event.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So... wait. This whole time, this was a REAL GIRL?  I thought you were just faking having a girlfriend.

Seriously, though. Congratulations!  You two must be elated right now. It's a great feeling.

Thanks knapp! I think I'm enjoying it more right now because all the pressure is off of me. She, on the other hand, has a wedding to plan :D 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, GSG said:

We had a trip to Vegas planned for her spring break and I kept trying to set up events; helicopter tours, spa days, fancy dinners, etc. She kept shooting them all down because she just wanted to go to pool and drink and relax. We did end up going to a nice dinner one night (Mr. Chow's; which was great [get the sea bass!]). We're finishing up and I have the ring in my shirt pocket. The guy comes to ask if we need anything else and she blurts out "just the check!" So we're onto the next place, some fancy lounge for c$%ktails and dessert. It wasn't the right place either. I tried to do it in some private areas around the fountains outside Caesar's but she was really wanting to get back to the hotel because her feet were killing her. So I ended up doing it in our hotel room while we were having a night cap together by the window watching all the lights. She was super surprised (which is all I wanted) and she said she was happy it was a private thing for us instead of a big public event.

That's a pretty good story. 

Mine is really lame. As in, so lame that I never actually proposed to my wife. We would go out and do stuff, and sometimes we'd be at the mall, and we'd wander into stores including a jewelry store. She told me stuff she liked, including some diamond rings, but it was never said as if we were getting married. But I knew what ring she wanted. Then over the years as we stayed together we'd occasionally talk about "If we got married, I'd want _______ for the wedding." A few years later, we basically had the whole thing planned out.  It was a foregone conclusion we'd be married, so we planned it around her graduation date, and had a hall, a church, caterer, DJ, everything, all planned out. We were going through premarital counseling and the whole shebang, and I'd never gotten the ring. Her sister chewed me out for it one day, and I spent every dime I had to get the ring within the month. I very lamely just handed it to her in the car on the way to dinner one night.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, GSG said:

THE BEST - nicely done and congratulations!

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

THE BEST - nicely done and congratulations!

Thank you!

I was cracking up after I asked her and she caught her breath because we kinda got into a little argument while we were packing. We left on Wednesday morning and came back Friday night so we didn't really need to pack much. I had hidden the box in one of my shoes and had planned on putting the shoe in my carry-on. She kept telling me I didn't need a carry-on because didn't have that much stuff. She even picked up the shoes that the box was in and I freaked out a little bit. I ended up bringing my work bag with 2 books I had no intention of reading just to conceal the box.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1