SUH

As much as I like Suh, and as much as I think that he is a great player and a better person, he had a penchant for getting personal foul penalities at NU too. It kinda makes him look like a dirty player, and I don't think that he is. <_<

Let's not forget what really happened. The majority of those personal foul penalties he got at NU were incorrect calls. The tackle vs. Baylor, the hit against Tyrod Taylor two years ago, several others that I'm not recalling immediately, were judgment calls that most likely shouldn't have been thrown. As bad as this hit was, let's not rewrite history.

It doesn't look as terrible when you watch it real time as opposed to the gif.

Either way, he shouldn't have done it and I'm sure he realizes that by now. Suh draws penalties because of how strong he is. I mean hell, the man pushed an Oklahoma linemen to the ground with one arm. That in and of itself is impressive.

I'm sorry but it just disgusts me that people would call that play thug'ish. It's not like he kicked someone while they were down or spit in their face. It's been said a thousand times, football is a violent game, and that was a very violent play. The only problem I have with the play is that he used the face mask to gain his leverage. While it looks like a finishing move from mortal kombat in the slow-mo, in real time it's a different story. If you look at his hands and arms he had no intention of taking off Delhomme's head, they are wrapped around his shoulder, and let's not forget that Suh's style has always been to throw QB's once he catches them.

In the 2 seconds it took for the play to finish once Suh made contact on the face mask less than half of that time was him throwing Jake after he wrapped him up, not to mention his knee only touch a half second before the play ended . There is no way he could have just let go and stopped throwing him in half of a second, once you get 215lbs moving there's not much that's going to stop it until it hits the ground.

I'm sorry but it just disgusts me that people would call that play thug'ish. It's not like he kicked someone while they were down or spit in their face. It's been said a thousand times, football is a violent game, and that was a very violent play. The only problem I have with the play is that he used the face mask to gain his leverage. While it looks like a finishing move from mortal kombat in the slow-mo, in real time it's a different story. If you look at his hands and arms he had no intention of taking off Delhomme's head, they are wrapped around his shoulder, and let's not forget that Suh's style has always been to throw QB's once he catches them.

In the 2 seconds it took for the play to finish once Suh made contact on the face mask less than half of that time was him throwing Jake after he wrapped him up, not to mention his knee only touch a half second before the play ended . There is no way he could have just let go and stopped throwing him in half of a second, once you get 215lbs moving there's not much that's going to stop it until it hits the ground.

I gotta disagree (slightly). Facemask (incidental yes...) but then BOTH hands to the helmet and arms....the drive at the end didn't bother me as he was just finishing the play and with it all happening so fast I doubt he realized the knee was down in time to react. I was more surprised by the BEAR LIKE clubbing of the skull.

In realtime the play doesn't look bad. And Suh was just reacting to finish a play but it is the NFL and he will have to learn that he can probably pull that off with the Tailback but not the QB.

As much as I like Suh, and as much as I think that he is a great player and a better person, he had a penchant for getting personal foul penalities at NU too. It kinda makes him look like a dirty player, and I don't think that he is. <_<

Let's not forget what really happened. The majority of those personal foul penalties he got at NU were incorrect calls. The tackle vs. Baylor, the hit against Tyrod Taylor two years ago, several others that I'm not recalling immediately, were judgment calls that most likely shouldn't have been thrown. As bad as this hit was, let's not rewrite history.

Don't forget the "horse collar" he got called vs Gabbart when he basically grabbed a hand full of shirt on Gab's numbers and pulled him to the turf.

Once you've already committed the facemask, it's important that the QB does NOT get the pass/pitch off..They can still score and they don't have to take the penalty (Play isn't over).

That said...I wonder how it would affect Suh if he really did hurt someone in that situation..Could he ever maintain the intensity after decapitating someone? Or would it end his own career?

Didn't Butkus kill a Detroit Lion in a game once?

Edit: musta been an urban myth (Did they have those in the early seventies?)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_an_NFL_player_ever_been_killed_during_a_game

Answer

No player has ever been killed by a hit in the NFL.

There was one player, Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions, who suffered a heart attack and died during a game in 1971 against the Chicago Bears. His number (85) was retired and the Lions have an award named for him honoring the most improved player on the team.

There was another player, Reggie Brown of the Detroit Lions, who suffered a serious spinal cord injury in a game against the New York Jets in 1997. He was administered CPR on the field which saved his life. He had immediate surgery for his injury and his recovery was nothing short of miraculous. He now is in management of a car dealership group in Dallas and is able to walk and live as normally as anyone with that type of injury could hope.

I'm pretty sure every defensive player has had a play or two like that. We all know he's not dirty, let's not make this into something it isn't. It was uncalled for, but Detroit needs that kind of ferocity if it wants some respect. In this case he just took it a bit too far.

:yeah

There is a huge difference between the hit on McCoy and hit on Delhomme. He had McCoy by the body and threw him down, this hit was more arms around his head and neck and threw him down. Something like that is uncalled for and it would have been a different outcome with the NFL is Suh had injured his neck by doing something like that. I know being doubleteamed is frustrating, but you don't want to seriously injury someone because of it. I agree that the Baylor call was wrong, because Suh tackled the QB's body, not his head.

I'm very surprised that Delhomme's neck didn't snap from that.

Didn't he have a horsecalling call against Mizzou? Is the horsecalling against grabbing the jersey or the pads from behind, or is it just any part at all?