Coaches know: Paul wants the ball

Nexus

LINCOLN — Niles Paul is lobbying the Nebraska coaching staff for more looks downfield, primarily because the senior receiver believes that his pass-catching skills have been overlooked through four weeks.

And he says it shouldn't be perceived as some selfish plea for the spotlight.

He thinks he's formed a legitimate argument for more involvement within the offense, mostly centered on the idea that his ability to catch deep passes will aid the potentially explosive NU ground game. That's exactly what he told the coaches when he met with them last week.

“It kind of frustrates me a little bit,” Paul said. “Obviously, there's more that goes into it. There's a scheme. And we're running the ball. But if you put the ball up and let me go get it, I'm going to go get it.”

In Paul's opinion, there's no better way to jump-start a sputtering run game than to stretch the defense by hurling lob passes over top.

So Paul figures, if opposing teams are going to assign two players to shadow speedy Husker quarterback Taylor Martinez, and commit seven other defenders to crowd the line of scrimmage, there will be one-on-one matchups for the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder to capitalize on.

That's why the unimpressive 17-3 win over South Dakota State was so tough for Paul to swallow. The offense stalled all night, yet for the first time since last season's game against Oklahoma, Paul didn't have a reception.

“There's going to be a game where it's going to come down to passing to win the game,” he said. “Just hopefully, coach (Shawn) Watson trusts us and puts the game in our hands. We'll make plays to win it.”

Last year, Paul had 796 receiving yards, which doubled the output of any other Husker. He averaged 19.9 yards per catch, ranking third in school history, and he had nine receptions of 35 yards or more.

Yet through four games this season, the only vertical pass to Paul came in the fourth quarter of Nebraska's blowout win against Western Kentucky. It went for 33 yards.

Against Washington, Paul caught a 15-yard toss on a comeback route and turned it into a 21-yard gain on a big third-and-16 play in the second quarter. A couple of other errant throws went his way, too.

In the SDSU game, the only pass intended for Paul was intercepted.

“You want to do a good job,” he said, “but when you're not getting the looks that you think you deserve, it sucks.”

Paul seems to have gotten his point across, though he said practices don't necessarily provide him with the best indication of what plays will be called during the upcoming game.

Coach Bo Pelini did say last week that teams haven't been going out of their way to take Paul out of the game. Thus, he should get more touches, Pelini said.

Watson, the offensive coordinator, said Paul hasn't been forgotten.

“We've had a lot of things dialed up to him,” Watson said. “We'll always try to get him deep on stuff. We always have him in mind when we game plan. Always.”

The Huskers have used Paul on some reverses. Paul also has taken a direct snap out of the Wildcat formation, a play that Watson hasn't scrapped even though Paul fumbled his first and only carry.

But Paul thinks that his strongest attribute is his ability to track lob passes, battle for position with a cornerback and haul in the football.

He'd like to do it more often. So that's why he asked the coaches for some more chances.

“They obviously know what I can do with the ball in my hands and the plays I can make,” Paul said, “so I think they'll make an effort to get me the ball.”

LINK

Paul is "par for the course" this time last year. He had a breakout game against Mizzou with 6 catches for 102 yds. and 2 touchdowns in last year's conference opener (which was also a Thursday night game). So the question is, could history repeat itself tomorrow night for Paul?

Receiving Stats:

2 catches/13 yds./0 td vs. Florida Atlantic

6 catches/69 yds./1 td vs. Arkansas State

1 catch/19 yds./0 td vs. Virginia Tech

1 catch/9 yds./0 td vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

2009 Four Game Totals = 10 catches/110 yds./1 td

5 catches/92 yds./1 td vs. Western Kentucky

4 catches/31 yds./0 td vs. Idaho

1 catches/21 yds./0 td vs. Washington

0 catches/0 yds./0 td vs. South Dakota State

2010 Four Game Totals = 10 catches/144 yds./1 td

The last thing we need to be doing with a redshirt freshman QB who's not the greatest passer is forcing balls to a particular receiver. Niles will just have to be patient and make the most of his opportunities.

Very true, but after watching Paul flat out work over Prince in the Spring Game, the kid can make some tough catches, in traffic. However, we really haven't needed to go downfield yet this year. I'm sure we will at some point and he'll make the most of it. Similar to the KU game last year and the Bowl game. The guy can be a MAJOR threat in this offense if he can keep his focus and Martinez can get it within a few feet of him.

I expect Niles to have one of his trademark BIG games coming up, just not sure when. One where he'll have 100 yards in special teams with a TD and 80+ yards receiving as well. It's just what he does. I just wish he would do it more often.

The last thing we need to be doing with a redshirt freshman QB who's not the greatest passer is forcing balls to a particular receiver. Niles will just have to be patient and make the most of his opportunities.

Very true, but after watching Paul flat out work over Prince in the Spring Game, the kid can make some tough catches, in traffic. However, we really haven't needed to go downfield yet this year. I'm sure we will at some point and he'll make the most of it. Similar to the KU game last year and the Bowl game. The guy can be a MAJOR threat in this offense if he can keep his focus and Martinez can get it within a few feet of him.

I expect Niles to have one of his trademark BIG games coming up, just not sure when. One where he'll have 100 yards in special teams with a TD and 80+ yards receiving as well. It's just what he does. I just wish he would do it more often.

I was surprised by how badly Niles beat Prince in the Spring Game. I know Niles has skills, but I would definitely take Amukamara over Paul in a one-on-one battle.

There's a part of me that thinks the first four games this year can almost entirely be tossed out the window. There are playmakers on the team we haven't even touched so far, and there are plays this offense and defense ought to be capable of making that they're not even attempting. I think we've been playing possum a little bit so far this year.

Not a fan of players second-guessing the coaching staff in the media. It's fine if he wants to bring that up in a coach's office, but you don't take it to the press, it just makes you look like a me-first guy, especially when the team is unbeaten and you're talking about what needs to change to get you the ball more.

• Fire 3