Stadium Expansion

I have Barry's on facebook so I sent them a message to try and put this to rest. The response:

"Hello! Spread the word around that yes there will be a rooftop bar and our goal is for it to be open by the Wisconsin game. We are opening half of it this year with a full bar, heated lanterns, a raised platform for preferred stadium view seating, and we are looking to hold about 200-250 people. This space is also going to be available for private rentals. Next year we are expanding it to the entire rooftop and are raising a full smoker to be placed near the bar to offer smoked Kansas BBQ. Put the speculations to rest and assure our Husker Nation that this is a promise!"

• Fire 2

I don't know how strict Lincoln is going to be with Barry's liquor license. They're already planning on having open-container areas in the Haymarket expansion (The Yard, and possibly down Canopy Street). I wouldn't worry about Barry's until they deny the permit.

Yeah they will still get a liquor license no doubt just with a provision for no rooftop bar. Its a public safety thing, drinking outside is fine but when you have drunk college kids 20ft in the air on a major road through downtown lincoln is another story. Hence why they likely had to alter their plans and enclose the rooftop section of the bar.

That really sucks. I was looking forward to being able to see the skyline and hangout up there.

Are drunk NU college kids more likely to fall than drunk kids in Lawrence or Kansas City or any number of the other cities that have rooftop bars? I'd like to see a couple articles where someone actually fell (not jumped). I'd say it's BS and easily fixed w/ a 6 foot class wall surrounding the edge. Dave & Buster's rooftop bar is pretty awesome here in KC...and there isn't much going on around it. I can't imaging a rooftop bar in Lincoln on gameday. That would be one hell of a place to watch the game if you aren't inside the stadium.

Yeah and those are all much more progressive cities as far city councils and liquor commissions go. Look how long it took to approve the 2am closing time. Not granting a liquor license to Club "Smooth" or whatever its called, simply because of a grudge held against the owner.

I have Barry's on facebook so I sent them a message to try and put this to rest. The response:

"Hello! Spread the word around that yes there will be a rooftop bar and our goal is for it to be open by the Wisconsin game. We are opening half of it this year with a full bar, heated lanterns, a raised platform for preferred stadium view seating, and we are looking to hold about 200-250 people. This space is also going to be available for private rentals. Next year we are expanding it to the entire rooftop and are raising a full smoker to be placed near the bar to offer smoked Kansas BBQ. Put the speculations to rest and assure our Husker Nation that this is a promise!"

I'll believe it when I see it. Although I hope I am wrong, that would indeed be awesome. I heard all this from the owner of the Watering Hole. Said same thing happened to them during their remodel. They wanted to open up the upstairs and make it an open beer garden (facing O st) but the city would not approve their liquor license if they did.

Now that I know the source, and having read that message Lyons got, I have very little doubt the roof will be open.

No worries, jwhbigred. You're just passing along what you were told. I'm sure there are reasons known only to the City of Lincoln why the Hole wouldn't be allowed to have a rooftop garden while Barry's is allowed.

I'll believe it when I see it. Although I hope I am wrong, that would indeed be awesome. I heard all this from the owner of the Watering Hole. Said same thing happened to them during their remodel. They wanted to open up the upstairs and make it an open beer garden (facing O st) but the city would not approve their liquor license if they did.

Call me crazy, but I would think that the new owners of Barry's would have ensured they were able to get the necessary permits prior to dumping a whole bunch of money on a rooftop bar.

A big thanks to knapplc for taking the time over the last couple years to provide these photos of all the construction phases.

I rarely post, but wanted to extend my gratitude. I live in Tampa and have not had a chance to return to Lincoln/Omaha for years, and it is a pleasure to see the work from your photos, which are all great quality, as well.

Thanks so much, from a Husker far from home!