Prince v Blackmon

GI56

Prince seems to have one major flaw- his failure to look for the ball when it's in the air.

Against Blackmon, Prince was in position 90% of the time if the ball was properly thrown. Weeden routinely underthrew Blackmon, who just stopped and caught the ball as Prince kept going. The 80 yard flea-flicker is the best example.

yeah, they were throwing that 'back shoulder' pass a bunch.

you see it in the pros even, when a QB and WR are on the same page on that one, it's nearly impossible to stop. Prince was in position even after getting burnt a couple times, but he was on an island all day too. he showed some good speed, but he also showed he's not impervious to completions

Simply put, It's difficult to defend an under thrown ball.

This.

As a DB you are trying to keep up to a WR running full speed at you while at the start of your coverage is in a back peddle. Then you are reading the WR eyes and then hands not knowing when or where he is going to cut on aroute or stop. That itself is hard enough. The underthrow is being seen more and more. You can say it is used more than the fade in the redzone because of its success.

Take away the flea flicker Blackmon has a pedestrian 70 yards receiving and a garbage time TD in the end.

I think Blackmon was helped out by how balanced OSU is on offense.

They were very balanced and tore us up on defense. Was very excited to see our offense come alive. With the way the defense played yesterday we needed that. OSU has been an offensive juggernaut for a few years now so we all knew it would be pretty crazy. I didn't think they'd score 41 points on us though.

Prince did fine. The one defensive back we have that is truly AWFUL at being able to turn around and look for the ball is Eric Hagg. If you get him in one on one coverage going down the field, it's over.

I can agree with you about eric on this last year, he wasnt good at locating the ball and getting called for interference. This year he has been a stud, the ball that he didnt locate in the okie st. game comes to mind, but it was thrown behind the receiever and those are hard to defend for any player.

It wasn't just Prince having difficulty with the under thrown ball. Hagg was beat at least twice on it as well, once for a touchdown and the other time it set up a first and goal I believe. It is a very tough pass to defend and something that could be exploited by future offenses. Our defenders just have to start getting their heads turned around and making a play. I have no doubt in my mind that the coaches will be emphasizing this type of pass during practice.

Overall, I'm not too worried about this defensive performance. Kendall Hunter = one of the most underrated and talented backs in the nation. Blackmon = one of the best if not the best receiver in the nation. OSU offense = unorthodox and difficult to prepare for.

This is also why I'm not overly worried about Missouri. They're coming off of their biggest win in school history and this week sets up nicely for a letdown on their part after such high emotions. Missouri has often proven that emotions can get the best of them during football games. They also don't have a receiver as threatening as Blackmon nor do they have a running back as good as Hunter.

Prince did fine. The one defensive back we have that is truly AWFUL at being able to turn around and look for the ball is Eric Hagg. If you get him in one on one coverage going down the field, it's over.

I can agree with you about eric on this last year, he wasnt good at locating the ball and getting called for interference. This year he has been a stud, the ball that he didnt locate in the okie st. game comes to mind, but it was thrown behind the receiever and those are hard to defend for any player.

I thought this had gotten shored up this year too, but this happened more than once to Eric yesterday, if I remember right it happened three times. I guess the reason I thought it had changed was because I hadn't seen it, but I think the reason for that is that he doesn't get matched up one on one with receivers flying down the field very often.

Prince seems to have one major flaw- his failure to look for the ball when it's in the air.

Against Blackmon, Prince was in position 90% of the time if the ball was properly thrown. Weeden routinely underthrew Blackmon, who just stopped and caught the ball as Prince kept going. The 80 yard flea-flicker is the best example.

That flea-flicker wasn't entirely his fault either though. Gomes was supposed to be his over top help, but he completely blew his coverage!