Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

It's near the end.

Advance to the 1:35 mark. The hit is in the lower right quad of the screen. Head hunting - clear as a bell. Cheap, dirty shot... and then laughing on the sideline. Thug play.

How is this cheap or dirty again?

Because of the rules:

"According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association's 2005 Football Rules and Interpretations: "No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him. There shall be no spearing. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet....""

Look at the replay again, where do you see Martin doing this? He lead with his shoulder and the guy wasn't paying attention and got rocked. Sure they may have hit helmets, but that was involuntary because of the whiplash. All I have to say about this is that it's his own fault he wasn't paying attention, and he paid the price for it. This is a contact sport and, although I am against cheap shots, this was not one of them. If you lead with your shoulder and hit the other guy's shoulder pads, the hitting of the helmets should be ignored because it wasn't in the intentions of the player making the hit.

I can see getting flagged for helmet to helmet, but in no way did he "target"(other than picking him out to block) the player with "the crown of his helmet"(unless that region somehow includes the side of the helmet as well). Defiantly not a suspension worthy hit and no where near as bad as some of the NFL hits were.

Would love to see Bo's raw and uncensored opinion on this, but I'm sure he and T.O. will keep it politically correct as usual.

Pardon my ignorance but does anyone remember the last time a player was suspended for something like this in any major college league?

The 1620 guys made a great point. Why is the douche that had his image and reputation destroyed this summer over the conference falling a part, being the one to determine this suspension is warranted? Seriously there generally is a committee that sets such standards and any penalties that may be handed down. This is a man who the whole country was laughing at because of his ineptness and the utter BS that continued to spew from his mouth.

Dan Beebe is the DOUCHE OF THE MILLENIUM!!

By the way is all the talk about the hit even go one for so long, had the announcers not mentioned that the kid missed last year due to a significant back injury and impending surgery?

Okafor was not a defenseless as defined by the rules. The contact was made with the shoulder, and seeing that Okafor was taller than Martin, his head is naturally going to come down so he can protect himself, this causes Martins helmet to hit his helmet.

Martin got suspended for making a play

That idiot who intentionally hit Martinez in the helmet gets to play next week.

Dan Beebe, get fired, please