SIAP: Bo Pelini's rants

Landlord

Bo's demeanor is fine. Certain coaching styles work with certain players and ANY coaching style can work in football as long as you know what pushes every kid's buttons. From a psychological perspective, every person reacts differently to a certain demeanor. Maybe Bo yells at some people/kids to light a fire under them while giving some players a free pass due to the fact that maybe that type of attitude would be too negative for them. Now, put yourself in a football players mindset and you see that your team has been getting hosed the whole year with penalties. You then see your coach getting in the refs face and having your back. From a psychological perspective, you would feel that he is defending you and you would have more willpower to fight through the adversity because your coach is "having your back." Also, how do we know how he acts behind the scenes? I have heard no complaints about him from the players or other coaches so maybe people are overracting to his sidelne demeanor. Any coach style can work, there is no such thing as "too mean." Look at bear bryant, woody hayes, nick saban, etc. Have you guys even seen nick saban on the sideline? He gets as fired up as Bo, apparently that didnt cost alabama the championship last year. Look, he obviously knows how to interact with his players. All his players respect him, which means he is treating them well and knows how to deal with every single one of the players. Some kids can handle it, some kids dont but obviously he can pick out the kids that can when he recruits them.

With that being said, he hasnt gotten into any trouble and hasnt cost us any games so why are we worried about him being too mean? This is football, fellas, it isnt a sewing contest. His style is obviously showing improvement and positive results so lets lay off the bo hating. Of course, people are going to hate just to hate. Go Big Red!

I didnt say I didnt like bo. I do but everytime we play a team that we should beat by a few TDs we seem to struggle alott.Like in 2008 when we lost to virgina tech at home that game was 1 game that we should have won under bo.I give isu alott of credit thoe becuz we have beat them for years,and as far as watson goes I dont knoe why he is still here not to say nothing bad about the guy hes been around football for 20 plus years thoe but I dont knoe who would be the offensive coach if watson left so maybe thats why hes here still becuzz hes all we have

WHAT?!?!??!?!?

I dont thik I was replying to ur post

WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Do we really want a more reserved Bo Pelini on the sideline? I agree that at certain times he can be a little over the top but passion is passion. I can not understand why everyone thinks we should "own" teams like ISU during our last hurrah through the Big 12 where everyone is out for blood versus NU. Have you seen the ISU Cyclonefanatic board? Those people HATE US!!! They claim that they "owned" us at home last year and that ISU beat themselves this year but refuse to even acknowledge the same is true last year in regards to the ISU win in Lincoln. If ISU had eight turnovers on Saturday the score would be what everyone thought it should be but guess what? ISU came to play and did a helluva job if you ask me. Granted we had in 3rd and Rex (4th!?) string QB's and a top defender sidelined too but I'll be damned if ISU did not play like this was their friggin' Superbowl and almost eeked out another win. The team played with heart and to win....it seemed to me at times that we just played to "not lose." CU is another team that although statistically horrible will play NU like it is the end of the world. Will it be shame on us if we don't blow them out of the water....even if T-Magic or Lee is not good to go? You can bet your ass it will be, especially in the eyes of everyone who is not a die hard NU fan.

Steering back on topic though I think Bo is just Bo and that he will continue to grow as a head coach. The guy is young as a coach and I can see where he is coming from. I have empathy for a man who has had to deal with unnecessary scrutiny in regards to NU hits, leaving the Big 12 etc. but gets no breaks on the field unless it is blatant. Bo was fired up during the Mizzou game too, just in a different way. The halftime interview that he gave during the ISU game could have been more reserved but can you blame the guy? He's doing the best he can with what he has and if at times he gets pissed, so be it. Now if he starts choking players....we have problems.

• Fire 1

It is about passion. When I watch the game, I turn into a raving lunatic! I can't sit still; I yell and scream and generally carry on. Don't get me wrong -- I love our guys. I don't say anything bad about them other than the occasional, "Really? What the heck was that? Good grief, Cody." But I do turn from a nice middle-aged librarian into a big bundle of emotion with a mouth. When the game is over, it's done. I revert back to my normal self. I just can't watch the ups and downs of the football game calmly. Especially when I know we're not playing up to snuff.

I think Bo is the same, only more so, because it's all on his shoulders. And then, there he is, on national tv. He can't hide out in his living room when Mr. Hyde shows up. And Saturday was soooo frustrating! And infuriating. As long as he doesn't get any penalties and cost us yards; as long as the guys still love him -- let him do what he has to. Try to bottle all that in and the poor guy just might blow up.

I'm OK with his sideline demeanor. I think he's even toned it down since the first year.

If players start complaining about how they are treated then maybe we have an issue.

I'm more concerned about other aspects of his coaching- like burning timeouts on defense when you might need them later on offense, the team coming out flat, turnovers and penalties, I think we burned some red shirts that I think could've been saved.

All in all- year 3 and we are in the top 10. Why are people complaining?

And if it seemed like he was more pissy than usual yesterday, it's most likely due to a number of things. 1)it's obvious that the team did not come ready to play for the entirety.

2)some very controversial situations with officials again.

3) With playcalling issues on both sides of the ball it was evident the coaching staff was in the same boat as the players

4) His #1 qb was not available, nor his #2 (Lee is 2, Green is 3, that's just the way it is

His frustrations compounded but when we found a way to win it he was releived explaining the mild press conference. But i really hope they get this focus issue figgered out. Last year this team had to play 60 minutes EVERY SINGLE GAME down the stretch and i'm wondering if it's had an effect on some of them into this season, for it seems like whenever we get an impressive win-EVERY TIME-this season, we let off the gas the next week.

I'd also add that bo had a runny nose so maybe he was battling a cold. Illness makes most of us more irritable...

I think that contributed to it.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but thought this would be a decent place to request what we all want to see most - Bo Pelini having the decency to blow his nose before his post-game interview. Good grief! Give that man a tissue for pity's sake!!! He's practically running a faucet all over the camera...it's embarrassing. Just imagine what his wife is thinking :facepalm:

You have to be dumb to think joe pa wont have them kids ready to play next year. I think the talent on the team is under rated tell you the truth.Penn state has 2 qbs that are freshmen so they will prolly be better next year. And as far as ohio state goes TP will be back next year you would think so anyways. If I was him I would come back for some payback against the badgers but idk if he is comming back next year thoe. So if he comes back he would be scary they would be at least 28 points with him ,Idk who else they have as a qb .Ohio state does have a good qb comming in after this season thoe he looks better then TP when he was comming in to ohio state.

I can tell by the smooth writing that this is a Big 10 graduate.

To be honest, I find the premise of this thread to be more childish/immature/whiney than I find Bo on the sidelines.

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight, yet. I want to know what other people think.

Not really sure what the basis is for that. I mean, this is the point of a messageboard, isn't it?

Anyways, back on topic, I still don't know how I really feel about it, but I suppose I would say I don't really have any kind of problem with Bo's sideline demeanor, but at the same time would say that I don't see passion being synonymous with anger, and think that it's entirely possible (but not necessary, if that isn't the way you are, or whatever) to have one without the other.

The basis is quite obvious. You would not have started this thread if you didn't feel that Bo is whiny/childish/immature in his sideline rants. This isn't some random topic you lighted on, it's something that you think about, or appeals to you. Then you go on to say that you have no dog in this fight, you just want to know what others think, then completely contradict that statement with leading questions like this:

My question to you is, after seeing Bo positively irate at pretty much anyone within five feet, what do you think of this? Although I have never personally agreed with it, I never really had a problem with Bo ranting and hollering about things on the sidelines but after today I'm second guessing how I feel about it. To be honest, he looked like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum.

And this:

Do you think it's childish/immature/whiney? Or maybe you think it's passionate/fired up? Do you think he could conduct himself better, do you think it's effective at something, do you think it's out of line, etc.

Clearly you feel this way or you wouldn't have used the descriptors you used.

Own your feelings. Don't post passive-aggressive things then act surprised when you're called on them.

Landlord: I feel Bo's demeanor as a head coach needs a lot of work. The way he acts towards the media needs a lot of work. He rips on certain players but lets others get a free pass. He ripped Tyler Legate for the penalty but in retrospect, he should come out and commended him. He goes up to Niles Paul and says something to him about a stupid play in taking the KO from 5 yards deep, but doesn't take him out of the game. He continues to let players play that don't wrap up and tackle. There are members of this defense that are LB's/DB hybrid that constantly hit a WR/RB/QB/TE and don't wrap up and the result is 9 more yards and a 3rd and long is converted to a first down and then a TD. It wears on you.

In Bo's defense, he is getting totally hosed by the officials this year. I have coached young men in sports and it is frustrating when officials or refs totally are trying to screw you. You are helpless and your emotions are already high. Bo is coaching and making 2 million plus per year. Stakes are very, very high. When the MU fumble on Gabbert isn't called, the offsides on MU isn't called, it drives you crazy. When a fumble yesterday on Helu isn't a fumble, it wears on you. When pick plays that are not called and they turn into a TD that ties the game, it wears on you.

Landlord: I think you need to be commended for having the stones to start a thread like this. You will get bashed but just like knapplc says, just own up to your thoughts.

People will bash me for these thoughts but everyone thinks that since Bo wins that everything Bo does is ok. I still think he is a work in progress and he has the program going in the right direction but I am not fond of a lot of the rants.

One of the rants that bothered me was the one he issued to Tyler after the penalty. I hope Bo comes out publicly to thank Legate for defending a defenseless player that was clearly targeting Klein's hand with his facemask. I hope someone brings it up that Tyler was correct in what he did. Thank you Tyler.

I know I couldn't start an online thread about a topic criticizing someone.

• Fire 1

You guys can say what u want.I call it how I see it. Theirs no way in hell this game should have been close like this. I guess iowa stae should be in the top 25 rite?? Anyways watch the game again and watch the play when niles fumbles the ball. anyways I dont wanna talk about it,bo gets are hopes up and then has players come out playing like this? I still think this game was fixxed thats just what I think and i dont care what anyone else thinks.I guess we will find out next year when we get smashed on against ohio state and them other teams. Bo wont let us beat ohio state lmao get outta here if u think that we are still a laughing stock and that pisses me off

You, sir, should invest in a few therapy sessions. It couldn't hurt, and might do you a world of good.