SIAP: Bo Pelini's rants

Landlord

Every coach gets after the referees every single one of them. Bo does it in a more animated manner. If his boss has a problem with it he will let him know. I personally do not care. Callahan and Cosgrove were never animated it seemed let's get them back.

Look, Bo coaches with passion.

and as someone pointed out earlier... i think some times some of our guys our lacking that cough d-line cough. i also think its important to remember bo is still young. I think he will mellow as he ages.....most coaches do

I have this debate with my assistant coaches ALL of the time.... I absolutely idolize TO and have really tried hard to use his philosophies and demeanor in my 15 yr career... So, when I say that I do NOT mind Bo's rants, they don't understand how someone who loves TO style could tolerate Bo's style...

IMO, different guys have their own style. It seems to work with Bo and his staff has been able to adjust and handle his rants without being "rattled" or quit on him. It seems as if the players love his style (if you read enough of their quotes)... And, after having dinner with Ron Brown (one of the most ethical men I have ever met) and having Ron Brown "gush" about Bo, I'm assuming Bo is okay.

Lastly, I have been a life-long Pittsburgh Steeler fan Chuck Knoll was fiery and the MAN that I absolutely loved BILL COWHER acted exactly like Bo does, and it worked for him !!!!

Just don't get a 15 yd flag, and I am ok with it.

I love his sideline demeanor and wish some of the players would share his passion. This is a pretty stupid thing to complain about really.

EDIT: and Nebraska fans are going to complain no matter how a coach acts. I remember everyone comlpaining about how boring Osborne was.

Just let Bo be Bo.

This, especially the edit line.

Bo is Bo. The players' love him and so do the other coaches. He may be 'irate' during a football game, but this guy's methods have proven to be successful at the college level, and the proof is in his defenses he procured at other colleges.

If Bo wins games and the players don't take his attitude the wrong way (which they apparently don't), then I really don't care what Bo does.

Besides, did you guys see Paul Rhodes at all on the sidelines Saturday? Within the first quarter he was screaming "WHAT!?....WHAT!?" at a referee standing next to him, and the flag wasn't even on ISU it was on Nebraska. He then cowered away with red in his face after he found out what the flag really was.

To be honest, I thought Rhodes looked like a much bigger baby throwing a tantrum yesterday. I even remember seeing the refs warn him a couple of times about his tantrums out on the field at the end of plays, because he would run out and start screaming. It eventually got to the point where I could clearly see the ref saying (not verbatim) 'this is your last warning, one more time and...' that's all I could make out.

To be honest, I find the premise of this thread to be more childish/immature/whiney than I find Bo on the sidelines.

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight, yet. I want to know what other people think.

Not really sure what the basis is for that. I mean, this is the point of a messageboard, isn't it?

Anyways, back on topic, I still don't know how I really feel about it, but I suppose I would say I don't really have any kind of problem with Bo's sideline demeanor, but at the same time would say that I don't see passion being synonymous with anger, and think that it's entirely possible (but not necessary, if that isn't the way you are, or whatever) to have one without the other.

Bo is a young coach, in terms of coaching. He is a fiery guy and wants to see his team perform up to their standards (something which they obviously weren't doing yesterday) I would be pissed if I gave a whole week preaching focus, and then watched my players be anything BUT focused during the game.

It's frustrating to anyone, even a head coach. But the players love Bo and that is the ONLY thing that matters.

BTW I'm sure Mack Brown is frustrated with the way his team has been playing...in fact, he even threw everyone under the bus post ISU loss.

I like Bo. He brings emotion to the game and that helps the team play with some swagger.

Once he gets the whole focused thing right, watch out

To be honest, I find the premise of this thread to be more childish/immature/whiney than I find Bo on the sidelines.

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight, yet. I want to know what other people think.

Not really sure what the basis is for that. I mean, this is the point of a messageboard, isn't it?

Anyways, back on topic, I still don't know how I really feel about it, but I suppose I would say I don't really have any kind of problem with Bo's sideline demeanor, but at the same time would say that I don't see passion being synonymous with anger, and think that it's entirely possible (but not necessary, if that isn't the way you are, or whatever) to have one without the other.

The basis is quite obvious. You would not have started this thread if you didn't feel that Bo is whiny/childish/immature in his sideline rants. This isn't some random topic you lighted on, it's something that you think about, or appeals to you. Then you go on to say that you have no dog in this fight, you just want to know what others think, then completely contradict that statement with leading questions like this:

My question to you is, after seeing Bo positively irate at pretty much anyone within five feet, what do you think of this? Although I have never personally agreed with it, I never really had a problem with Bo ranting and hollering about things on the sidelines but after today I'm second guessing how I feel about it. To be honest, he looked like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum.

And this:

Do you think it's childish/immature/whiney? Or maybe you think it's passionate/fired up? Do you think he could conduct himself better, do you think it's effective at something, do you think it's out of line, etc.

Clearly you feel this way or you wouldn't have used the descriptors you used.

Own your feelings. Don't post passive-aggressive things then act surprised when you're called on them.

The basis is quite obvious. You would not have started this thread if you didn't feel that Bo is whiny/childish/immature in his sideline rants. This isn't some random topic you lighted on, it's something that you think about, or appeals to you. Then you go on to say that you have no dog in this fight, you just want to know what others think, then completely contradict that statement with leading questions like this:

My question to you is, after seeing Bo positively irate at pretty much anyone within five feet, what do you think of this? Although I have never personally agreed with it, I never really had a problem with Bo ranting and hollering about things on the sidelines but after today I'm second guessing how I feel about it. To be honest, he looked like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum.

And this:

Do you think it's childish/immature/whiney? Or maybe you think it's passionate/fired up? Do you think he could conduct himself better, do you think it's effective at something, do you think it's out of line, etc.

Own your feelings. Don't post passive-aggressive things then act surprised when you're called on them.

Sorry, but that's not the way of it.

And this:

Landlord: I feel Bo's demeanor as a head coach needs a lot of work. The way he acts towards the media needs a lot of work. He rips on certain players but lets others get a free pass. He ripped Tyler Legate for the penalty but in retrospect, he should come out and commended him. He goes up to Niles Paul and says something to him about a stupid play in taking the KO from 5 yards deep, but doesn't take him out of the game. He continues to let players play that don't wrap up and tackle. There are members of this defense that are LB's/DB hybrid that constantly hit a WR/RB/QB/TE and don't wrap up and the result is 9 more yards and a 3rd and long is converted to a first down and then a TD. It wears on you.

In Bo's defense, he is getting totally hosed by the officials this year. I have coached young men in sports and it is frustrating when officials or refs totally are trying to screw you. You are helpless and your emotions are already high. Bo is coaching and making 2 million plus per year. Stakes are very, very high. When the MU fumble on Gabbert isn't called, the offsides on MU isn't called, it drives you crazy. When a fumble yesterday on Helu isn't a fumble, it wears on you. When pick plays that are not called and they turn into a TD that ties the game, it wears on you.

Landlord: I think you need to be commended for having the stones to start a thread like this. You will get bashed but just like knapplc says, just own up to your thoughts.

People will bash me for these thoughts but everyone thinks that since Bo wins that everything Bo does is ok. I still think he is a work in progress and he has the program going in the right direction but I am not fond of a lot of the rants.

One of the rants that bothered me was the one he issued to Tyler after the penalty. I hope Bo comes out publicly to thank Legate for defending a defenseless player that was clearly targeting Klein's hand with his facemask. I hope someone brings it up that Tyler was correct in what he did. Thank you Tyler.

I remember everyone comlpaining about how boring Osborne was.

Spot on accurate. He was pissed, among other things, at assistants who had 12 and 13 guys out there in the huddle and caused us to burn timeouts. I suppose he could have a quiet word about that after the game, but he isn't that kind of manager. I think his assistants and players respect him, and that's what counts more than how it looks to people not on the team.

And this prediction of five wins next year? Nuts, just nuts.

• Fire 1

You guys can say what u want.I call it how I see it. Theirs no way in hell this game should have been close like this. I guess iowa stae should be in the top 25 rite?? Anyways watch the game again and watch the play when niles fumbles the ball. anyways I dont wanna talk about it,bo gets are hopes up and then has players come out playing like this? I still think this game was fixxed thats just what I think and i dont care what anyone else thinks.I guess we will find out next year when we get smashed on against ohio state and them other teams. Bo wont let us beat ohio state lmao get outta here if u think that we are still a laughing stock and that pisses me off

It would be like one of Osborne's NC teams barely scraping by some unranked conference opponent in OT and winning on some fluke play! Never, ever, never, ever ever coulda happened never.

:dumdum

Yea but at some point it gets redundant, constantly rehashed, and not helpful. Bo is Bo and when he loses the team then it becomes a relevant discussion, ya know? You got a hard nosed, tough coach, and the team plays tough and hard nosed. That's a good thing.

You guys can say what u want.I call it how I see it. Theirs no way in hell this game should have been close like this. I guess iowa stae should be in the top 25 rite?? Anyways watch the game again and watch the play when niles fumbles the ball. anyways I dont wanna talk about it,bo gets are hopes up and then has players come out playing like this? I still think this game was fixxed thats just what I think and i dont care what anyone else thinks.I guess we will find out next year when we get smashed on against ohio state and them other teams. Bo wont let us beat ohio state lmao get outta here if u think that we are still a laughing stock and that pisses me off

It would be like one of Osborne's NC teams barely scraping by some unranked conference opponent in OT and winning on some fluke play! Never, ever, never, ever ever coulda happened never.

:dumdum

Do you honestly think that poster remembers those games, if you know what I'm saying...?