What we learned today

walksalone

What I learned:

Lavonte David is a stud and I don't even think he has hit his ceiling.

Niles Paul could be an absolute stud but next week he is gonna drop a TD or fumble a kick return.

Our Offense is kind of flat and boring.......sometimes.

Martinez isn't fully healthy.

Martinez is a freshman.

Martinez throws better now than I really thought he would, even with his mistakes.

We fumble way too much.

The thing I still don't know- Did our D-line turn a corner or is KU's line that bad?

T-Mart still isn't 100% yet

This is the defense we've been waiting all year for

What I learned. We're still not consistent enough on offense. We've seen this the last couple years. We didn't have the highs last year that this offense has had, but in the same way, we're capable of shutting ourselves down at any moment vs. any team. N. Dakota st. and Kansas have held us to the least amount of points this season of any team we've faced. Sorry, the defense we played had nothing to do with it.

And until we find that offensive consistency, we'll remain a step below the elite in the Country.

The thing I still don't know- Did our D-line turn a corner or is KU's line that bad?

Their offensive line is really that bad. Hampered by injuries and little to no depth along the line. But, we still need to see more of this in the coming weeks. One more victory and we clinch the North.

As far as the fumbles go, they have GOT to stop. I don't know what more you can really do. 30+ fumbles through 9 games is pathetic.

We learned that once again the coaching staff played not to lose, rather than to win, as far as the O goes. I don't know what this means, exactly, but from a fan perspective, it's disheartening.

The O lacked heart tonight. Hardly the first time this year. This team is having a great year but not a championship year and this is why, imo.

Coached not to lose, could see it on the first offensive drive, 4th and 1 around the 40 (can't remember which 40) and they send out Henery. Huge disappointment for me, sure we had just got stuffed on the 3rd and 1, but you're saying that you don't trust the offense to pick up that yard on a second chance? That decision set the mood for the game, we were looking to win and it's a good thing the defense showed up tonight.

Coached not to lose, could see it on the first offensive drive, 4th and 1 around the 40 (can't remember which 40) and they send out Henery. Huge disappointment for me, sure we had just got stuffed on the 3rd and 1, but you're saying that you don't trust the offense to pick up that yard on a second chance? That decision set the mood for the game, we were looking to win and it's a good thing the defense showed up tonight.

Or you don't want to give an inferior team a chance for a short field and score.

Or you don't want to give an inferior team a chance for a short field and score.

An inferior team that we absolutely shut down? I say go for it, go for the kill and establish dominance.

I got drilled last week for bringing up the fact that our coaching staff seems to coach not to lose instead of coaching to win and now all of a sudden a bunch of people agree with me... Where were all of you last week?

:facepalm:

If the offense wanted some more glamor, the opportunities were there. The offensive line did not dictate the tempo, the skill players fumbled, and the quarterback looks hobbled. Helu got STUFFED on that run and I thought it was the right call to punt. If the offense wants to stay on the field, pick up a f***ing yard! If not, then get the hell off.

Someone has all ready mentioned this, but guess what happens when you coach not to lose and succeed? You WIN!!! Yay!!!

The 'coach not to lose' slogan is getting tired, and seems to be a convenient way of placing blame when the team doesn't win stylistically. It wasn't pretty, and definitely not worth the $40 I shelled out to witness it, but they are 1 game from clinching a spot in the CCG. That's good enough for me tonight.

An inferior team that we absolutely shut down? I say go for it, go for the kill and establish dominance.

I got drilled last week for bringing up the fact that our coaching staff seems to coach not to lose instead of coaching to win and now all of a sudden a bunch of people agree with me... Where were all of you last week?

I was with you in spirit. This play not to lose stuff is seriously frustrating for a fan. Where's the pride, man? Get out there and break some heads, every single week. Why the hell not?

:facepalm:

If the offense wanted some more glamor, the opportunities were there. The offensive line did not dictate the tempo, the skill players fumbled, and the quarterback looks hobbled. Helu got STUFFED on that run and I thought it was the right call to punt. If the offense wants to stay on the field, pick up a f***ing yard! If not, then get the hell off.

Someone has all ready mentioned this, but guess what happens when you coach not to lose and succeed? You WIN!!! Yay!!!

The 'coach not to lose' slogan is getting tired, and seems to be a convenient way of placing blame when the team doesn't win stylistically. It wasn't pretty, and definitely not worth the $40 I shelled out to witness it, but they are 1 game from clinching a spot in the CCG. That's good enough for me tonight.

Coaching not to lose means doing enough to win and that's it. Sure, that sounds great to a lot of people because you're right, we win when we succeed and you can't argue with that. However, in the long run, it doesn't bode well because it shows that we lack the killer instinct that elite teams possess. They go for the kill and never let up. Wisconsin put up 83 points today. I never see this team doing that. We get a lead and coast. We rarely step on the throat and put the game away when we have the chance.

It's all fine and dandy now because it hasn't cost us a game..... yet. I think we are still one or two steps away from being an elite team in CFB. We lack consistency and you never know which team will show up (KSU/Washington or SDSU/Texas/ISU). We've looked lackadaisical in several games this year and we absolutely play up/down to our competition. Until this team learns to play at the same level week in and week out, we will fail to win a MNC.