Other than the roughing the passer, exactly which call was bad?

I don't necessarily think A&M is the better team but I find it interesting that, despite the penalties in this particular game, A&M looks to be a pretty good team this season yet some refuse to give any credit.

If you would have read this forum the previous four months you would have seen dozens and dozens and dozens of people talking about how concerned we were about playing A&M. You guys got tons of respect on this forum all season. The fact that you barely beat us by one field goal after that RIDICULOUS discrepancy in penalties is going to tone down the respect for your team quite a bit.

Is A&M bad? Of course not. Is Nebraska better? Probably, but we didn't always show it on the field Saturday. Did the refs dramatically affect the outcome of this game? Absolutely, and any game commentary that doesn't bring this up is doing a disservice to both teams.

I wish the penalties hadn't been as lopsided as they were because it taints what was an amazing atmosphere and otherwise a nice defensive smashmouth kind of game.

I've actually been reading posts here for a while and did see a lot of credit given to the Ags before the game, but it seems that since we've been largely dismissed as average. Penalties did affect the game (although I don't think there were many truly bad calls aside from the roughing the passer call), but on lots of penalty free down Nebraska wasn't able to move the ball. From reading a lot of posts on here this would've been a 35-3 Nebraska win had the game been called "correctly".

so? what team's fanbase believes its team is getting an adequate amount of respect? aTm is getting a lot of respect here and nationally. but what do you want from us? what is interesting? i think it is interesting that you think it is interesting that you, as an aTm fan, think your team is pretty good this season yet some refuse to give it any credit. that seems rather banal to me.

again, how is it interesting? what do you want from us? what would make it less interesting to you. should we all change our sig to say, "aTm is a pretty good team and i for one do NOT refuse to give an appropriate amount of credit"?

A whole lot of posters on here have referred to A&M as average or bad, hence my post. Just an observation.

(and I did edit out the bunnies for readability but that's a pretty fantastic gif to have on a message board)

I've actually been reading posts here for a while and did see a lot of credit given to the Ags before the game, but it seems that since we've been largely dismissed as average. Penalties did affect the game (although I don't think there were many truly bad calls aside from the roughing the passer call), but on lots of penalty free down Nebraska wasn't able to move the ball. From reading a lot of posts on here this would've been a 35-3 Nebraska win had the game been called "correctly".

so? what team's fanbase believes its team is getting an adequate amount of respect? aTm is getting a lot of respect here and nationally. but what do you want from us? what is interesting? i think it is interesting that you think it is interesting that you, as an aTm fan, think your team is pretty good this season yet some refuse to give it any credit. that seems rather banal to me.

again, how is it interesting? what do you want from us? what would make it less interesting to you. should we all change our sig to say, "aTm is a pretty good team and i for one do NOT refuse to give an appropriate amount of credit"?

A whole lot of posters on here have referred to A&M as average or bad, hence my post. Just an observation.

(and I did edit out the bunnies for readability but that's a pretty fantastic gif to have on a message board)

you can not use the bunnies enough. for sure.

although my response was disproportionate, my point was that it is what you think of your team that matters. perception is a funny thing, especially with sports teams. it will take a long time before a lot of people will respect NU because the perception from the last decade is so strong they will think any success is fleeting. i have a ton of respect for aTm, and after this year, them and osu will be my favorite big 12 teams. i just think it is a little unreasonable to expect a fanbase to give another team due respect, and it is a little unreasonable to even care, really.

and i agree that NU can not blame the refs for the loss. the roughing call was inexcusable, but is always unfair to deny a team their victory because of refs. aTm deserved to win, as they did enough and NU did not.

the only problem is that aTm was supposed to be a big 12 south darkhorse, they were supposed to have really arrived this year, and they underperformed a bit and are only now turning it on. that does not help with perception. expectations can really hurt the perception of a team \.

but you should be happy, aTm has moved in the ranks and looks to get a decent bowl and a good overall season if they win out. congrats. for realz. :moreinteresting

Here's the stat of the night. Texas A&M earned three separate first downs via penalty. All three were in the last 20 minutes of the game.

With the score tied 3-3 late in the third quarter, Texas A&M began the first of their final two drives. In the first drive, Nebraska was called for two separate penalties which gave A&M first downs - the first on 2nd-and-10 and the second on 3rd-and-8. The first was Courtney Osborne's PI call, which was legit since Osborne went through the back of the receiver, but the second was the PI call on Dennard where both players were fighting for position. This should not have been called, yet was, and it went against Nebraska.

The next, and most egregious, came on A&M's final scoring drive. On 3rd-and-11 from Nebraska's 49 yard line, Tannehill throws an incomplete pass under pressure. However, Osborne was called for perhaps the worst call of the game, a personal foul for roughing the passer. This gives TAMU first down on Nebraska's 34, and the Aggies go on to kick the game-winning field goal.

Of these three calls, one was completely legitimate, one was questionable and likely should not have been called, and the third was horrifically wrong.

Texas A&M played a fine game. Their defense played wonderfully. But there is no way an Aggie fan with an ounce of self-respect can look at the final score and think they earned this win. It is safer to say they didn't lose than to say they won this game.

I think that even Herby said, "Looks like a little offensive pass interference." That's what I thought, too, but I knew which way the call was going 8-|

This. It got so bad that on Rex's long run in the 4th qtr, I was expecting to see him get called either for holding, or for a facemasking penalty for the stiff arm.

To answer fig96, I had quite a bit of respect for A&M and was worried about this game. Afterwards, I was not quite as impressed with the Aggies, no disrespect intended. Good luck from here on out, I hope for a rematch in the CCG, if we make it.

I think A&M fans need to learn how to take a win instead of coming on our board and telling us how to take a loss. Clearly they are not used to winning big games and are giddy with excitement, so they feel the need to let everyone know that they apparently beat us fair and square and lecture anyone who thinks differently. We get it, you won the game. Good job. NOW PLEASE GO AWAY.

you can not use the bunnies enough. for sure.

although my response was disproportionate, my point was that it is what you think of your team that matters. perception is a funny thing, especially with sports teams. it will take a long time before a lot of people will respect NU because the perception from the last decade is so strong they will think any success is fleeting. i have a ton of respect for aTm, and after this year, them and osu will be my favorite big 12 teams. i just think it is a little unreasonable to expect a fanbase to give another team due respect, and it is a little unreasonable to even care, really.

and i agree that NU can not blame the refs for the loss. the roughing call was inexcusable, but is always unfair to deny a team their victory because of refs. aTm deserved to win, as they did enough and NU did not.

the only problem is that aTm was supposed to be a big 12 south darkhorse, they were supposed to have really arrived this year, and they underperformed a bit and are only now turning it on. that does not help with perception. expectations can really hurt the perception of a team \.

but you should be happy, aTm has moved in the ranks and looks to get a decent bowl and a good overall season if they win out. congrats. for realz. :moreinteresting

Fair points, and appreciated. And thanks 74hunter, I'd love to see a CCG rematch but the chances of that happening are REALLY slim as I don't think we'll be able to catch OU in the BCS rankings if they knock off OSU.

Mike (or M I K E as the case may be), I've done my best to not instigate anything, tell anyone how they should feel or that they're wrong while offering my opinion, I know that I'd be beyond frustrated if the situation were flipped (and after the officiating of our several previous games we can relate to some extent). I was actually around for conversations before the game and enjoy the discussion around here as most folks seem to have a pretty good handle on what they're talking about. Sorry if I stick around ;)

And a :moreinteresting to all of you good sirs.

Here's the stat of the night. Texas A&M earned three separate first downs via penalty. All three were in the last 20 minutes of the game.

With the score tied 3-3 late in the third quarter, Texas A&M began the first of their final two drives. In the first drive, Nebraska was called for two separate penalties which gave A&M first downs - the first on 2nd-and-10 and the second on 3rd-and-8. The first was Courtney Osborne's PI call, which was legit since Osborne went through the back of the receiver, but the second was the PI call on Dennard where both players were fighting for position. This should not have been called, yet was, and it went against Nebraska.

The next, and most egregious, came on A&M's final scoring drive. On 3rd-and-11 from Nebraska's 49 yard line, Tannehill throws an incomplete pass under pressure. However, Osborne was called for perhaps the worst call of the game, a personal foul for roughing the passer. This gives TAMU first down on Nebraska's 34, and the Aggies go on to kick the game-winning field goal.

Of these three calls, one was completely legitimate, one was questionable and likely should not have been called, and the third was horrifically wrong.

Texas A&M played a fine game. Their defense played wonderfully. But there is no way an Aggie fan with an ounce of self-respect can look at the final score and think they earned this win. It is safer to say they didn't lose than to say they won this game.

I think that even Herby said, "Looks like a little offensive pass interference." That's what I thought, too, but I knew which way the call was going 8-|

This. It got so bad that on Rex's long run in the 4th qtr, I was expecting to see him get called either for holding, or for a facemasking penalty for the stiff arm.

To answer fig96, I had quite a bit of respect for A&M and was worried about this game. Afterwards, I was not quite as impressed with the Aggies, no disrespect intended. Good luck from here on out, I hope for a rematch in the CCG, if we make it.

I was waiting for a facemask call, too! Or a "personal foul: running into the defender too hard" call at that point. I was really, really surprised when any of the big NU plays were allowed to stand-- offensive or defensive.

Here's my take on the kerfuffle:

1. NU DOES need to tighten up and draw fewer penalties.

2. If the Aggies were so bad, NU would have been able to punch in a TD or two. NU didn't do it.

3. It's not the Aggies' fault that the refs showed an amazing amount of bias in their *non calls.* Arguing that many of the NU calls were legit is a red herring. Let's say that 15 of the 16 were totally legit, all it took was that last, bogus late hit to keep the Aggie drive alive to allow Chunks McKickerson to step away from his sammich long enough to kick that FG. That sort of strays from the non-calls point-- I think that the fewest penalties that the aggies had against them this year was 8 (I took a quick glance at their games this morning, so I could be wrong) and the average looked to be 10 - 11 with some games creeping into the teens. They suddenly became nigh perfect? Hmm..

4. The Aggies are good! I generally like A&M-- they're probably my favorite team in Texas. It's just that this week it might be a little difficult to disentangle the ref rage from my attitudes about A&M. I think that a fair game against them, especially with a hobbled QB or a 3rd stringer taking snaps, would be more than challenging.

But really, up the middle was reliably successful. Wildcat, people. Wildcat (or power I with Rex under center).

I wish the penalties hadn't been as lopsided as they were because it taints what was an amazing atmosphere and otherwise a nice defensive smashmouth kind of game.

You should quote and directly respond to the posts that dismiss A&M as average rather than generalizing for the whole of this board. I admit I haven't noticed those posts accusing A&M of mediocrity, but who knows.

To your point about moving the ball - A&M had four yards more than Nebraska. Were it not for two very questionable penalties on your final two drives, you would not have scored six points in the fourth to win. A&M had three first downs by penalty. Nebraska had zero. And we had our QB out for half the game. I think you may need to look at the film of that game again before talking about who had trouble moving the ball.

Nobody has said we would have won the game by such a lopsided margin. We're all well aware of the limitations of our offense when our QB is hurt. All anyone here is saying is that we did enough to win, but A&M had quite a bit of help. I don't think that's such a crazy observation in the wake of that game.

The bottom line is this. A&M is an average team. You needed 16-2 penalty ratio with a gift to keep your last drive alive to get a go ahead field goal. You had a 2-0 turnover edge and a 3rd string qb playing most of the first half...a gimpy qb the second. Home field advantage. All of these factors and you scored 9 points. Nine. Let's look at it in a different format.

16-2 penalties

+2 turnover margin

Home field

3rd string qb for 1 half

Injured qb for 2nd half

Nine points

It's like ISU needing 8 turnovers last year to score 9 points. Enjoy the win. All I'm saying is don't fool yourself into believing your football team is anything more than a decent squad in a down big 12 year.

Our average team did a heck of a job blowing up your OL in the second half then. And Baylor's. And OU's. Holding OSU to less points than NU. Beating Kansas by more points than NU. Etc.

I don't necessarily think A&M is the better team but I find it interesting that, despite the penalties in this particular game, A&M looks to be a pretty good team this season yet some refuse to give any credit.

I stand by what I said. A&M is an average team in a struggling conference. Knapplc kind of summed it up well. This was the game I circled on my calender as the most difficult and just like in 02 I walked away very underwhelmed by A&M. You got the win but with all the things stacked against us it's clear we gave your team far too much respect. In a game where our offense couldn't get out of it's own way you put up 9 points and you needed every single defensive penalty to get em.

You should quote and directly respond to the posts that dismiss A&M as average rather than generalizing for the whole of this board. I admit I haven't noticed those posts accusing A&M of mediocrity, but who knows.

To your point about moving the ball - A&M had four yards more than Nebraska. Were it not for two very questionable penalties on your final two drives, you would not have scored six points in the fourth to win. A&M had three first downs by penalty. Nebraska had zero. And we had our QB out for half the game. I think you may need to look at the film of that game again before talking about who had trouble moving the ball.

Nobody has said we would have won the game by such a lopsided margin. We're all well aware of the limitations of our offense when our QB is hurt. All anyone here is saying is that we did enough to win, but A&M had quite a bit of help. I don't think that's such a crazy observation in the wake of that game.

I actually did quote the original in my first reply, the OP just disagreed again...to each their own. (Though we were not a good team in '02, no argument there.)

Totally agree that A&M's offense didn't do enough and NU's D played well.

Was the roughing the passer call worse than the call in the Mizzou game when Gabbert was said to have had forward progress? While A&M fans may not like being called mediocre, Nebraska has looked and played mediocre ever since the Mizzou game. I think some have forgotten already that we just about lost to an Iowa State team that will be staying home for the holidays. Nebraska this year either plays lights out or they play poorly. For some reason, there's no in between.

roughingpasser.jpg

Osborne is running about 24 ft/sec and is two feet from the QB at the release (conservative estimate). That means he was eight hundredths of a second from the QB. The refs were only asking him to decelerate at a rate of one foot per four hundredths of a second, which can easily be accomplished... with help from a brick wall.

excellent use of visuals. No way Osborne can slow down or stop being that close to the QB when the ball is released.