Fire Shawn Watson

Kruzu

Had to run back to my computer quick cause I just thought to add this: why in the hell did Wats not have Burkhead throw last week. You know they've been practicin him throwing out of the rexcat all year. Why do you use it against CU, a game you are clearly going to win, but not agains aTm when your offense has turned anemic? Unbelievable. Did Wats call a good game yesterday? Absolutely. The problem is, where has this play calling been when his team needed it?

or at least save it for the CCG..........................

You know which offensive genius had a couple deadly stinkers in 22 of his 25 seasons? Tom Osborne.

Based on the criteria bandied about here, this mob would be clamoring for young Tom Osborne's head. (in fairness, a lot of folks did back then)

Tom Osborne's offenses had bad games like Bo Pelini's defenses have bad games. They happened once, MAYBE twice in a season, and other than that were generally very productive and efficient. Furthermore, if Osborne's offense had a bad game, it was usually against somebody like #1 Oklahoma. And they still usually managed to score a touchdown.

You can even make a similar comparison to Osborne's teams that Pelini now faces. Osborne always had great offense, Pelini always has great defense. But what got Osborne over the hump was when they overhauled their defensive scheme in the early 90's, and started recruiting more speed. Pelini at some point may have to make a similar decision with his offense in order to get to the next level. Osborne was able to make the change while keeping the same coaches. We'll see if Pelini can do the same.

Anyways, Watson's bad games are more frequent, and they're also coming with championship-caliber defenses like the ones Osborne and McBride put onto the field in the mid 1990's. The best equivalent I can think of would be 1983, when Osborne had a ridiculous offense, but a below-average defense cost Nebraska the championship. Thing is, that sort of thing has happened like 5 times over the past 2 seasons with Watson, not just once.

Also, just don't ever compare Watson to Osborne. That one isn't even close.

You mean like the drastic change that we have seen from 2008 to present now with a predominantly run-oriented QB?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. We just have yet to see if the overhaul is going to work the way we want it to... The main thing I want to see (and I don't think we'll get a real answer to this question this year) is whether or not our current offense works without Taylor Martinez. It seems like it was designed around him, and without him it has struggled. We had one good game against Colorado, but I need more than that.

With what Watson has created when it is working it is very fun to watch in my opinion. I would not be able to pull up the article for you, but I read an article awhile ago talking about their study of mobile shotgun QBs and how to implement them and put their own twist on it. So what Watson has done is taken the passing framework of the west coast offense and implemented it with a mobile qb that takes snaps from the gun. We have recruited to this new scheme if you look at our current list of QB commits and the one that we brought in last year. It will work without him. The problem is is that it will not work with a guy that has the skill-set of a Cody Green.

You could very well be right. That's why I said I didn't think we'd get a real answer to this question this year. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the younger QBs, especially Carnes and Turner, in the spring game.

You know which offensive genius had a couple deadly stinkers in 22 of his 25 seasons? Tom Osborne.

Based on the criteria bandied about here, this mob would be clamoring for young Tom Osborne's head. (in fairness, a lot of folks did back then)

Tom Osborne's offenses had bad games like Bo Pelini's defenses have bad games. They happened once, MAYBE twice in a season, and other than that were generally very productive and efficient. Furthermore, if Osborne's offense had a bad game, it was usually against somebody like #1 Oklahoma. And they still usually managed to score a touchdown.

You can even make a similar comparison to Osborne's teams that Pelini now faces. Osborne always had great offense, Pelini always has great defense. But what got Osborne over the hump was when they overhauled their defensive scheme in the early 90's, and started recruiting more speed. Pelini at some point may have to make a similar decision with his offense in order to get to the next level. Osborne was able to make the change while keeping the same coaches. We'll see if Pelini can do the same.

Anyways, Watson's bad games are more frequent, and they're also coming with championship-caliber defenses like the ones Osborne and McBride put onto the field in the mid 1990's. The best equivalent I can think of would be 1983, when Osborne had a ridiculous offense, but a below-average defense cost Nebraska the championship. Thing is, that sort of thing has happened like 5 times over the past 2 seasons with Watson, not just once.

You mean like the drastic change that we have seen from 2008 to present now with a predominantly run-oriented QB?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. We just have yet to see if the overhaul is going to work the way we want it to... The main thing I want to see (and I don't think we'll get a real answer to this question this year) is whether or not our current offense works without Taylor Martinez. It seems like it was designed around him, and without him it has struggled. We had one good game against Colorado, but I need more than that.

With what Watson has created when it is working it is very fun to watch in my opinion. I would not be able to pull up the article for you, but I read an article awhile ago talking about their study of mobile shotgun QBs and how to implement them and put their own twist on it. So what Watson has done is taken the passing framework of the west coast offense and implemented it with a mobile qb that takes snaps from the gun. We have recruited to this new scheme if you look at our current list of QB commits and the one that we brought in last year. It will work without him. The problem is is that it will not work with a guy that has the skill-set of a Cody Green.

That's what's so frustrating. It's clear as day that Cody's not suited to play in the hybrid-spread offense or whatever you want to call it. When he's in the game, play to his strengths.

Don't forget, guys, this offense has been 2-3 years in the making, and this is our first true year of it. It would be ludicrous to expect there not to be bumps in the road.

Next year is absolutely make or break time for Watson. We've cycled out the last Bill Callahan class (as far as I can remember?), we've been recruiting the kids that are designed for the vision Bo and Watson have shared and slowly worked on since Bo got here, and we're entering into year two of exactly what we want our offense to be. Considering the VAST improvement of this year over last year, combine with all the aforementioned points, I see reason to be optimistic about next year, and I also see reason to think there will be no more excuses after next season.

That's what's so frustrating. It's clear as day that Cody's not suited to play in the hybrid-spread offense or whatever you want to call it. When he's in the game, play to his strengths.

Which when we were given time to prepare we did very well this week IMO. Regardless of who we played, our focus was there, we did the little things right, we were damn near perfect on our blocking assignments at time there. If we come with that same focus and we get the Mizzou effort out of our team, I don't think there is a team that will beat us that night.

We had about 50 dropped passes against Texas, and this hurf durf take the reigns off Green talk is ridiculous. This is the 1st game where he has instilled confidence in ANYONE. He fumbles, throws bad passes, hesitates when making decisions, the list goes on.

Going back to the Texas game, even Lee could move the ball, but we didn't score because players simply WERE. NOT. EXECUTING.

Yea, let's fire Wats and magically every problem we have on offense goes away, right? All injuries are healed, no bonehead penalties, receivers catch every ball, linemen blow everyone off the line, etc etc etc etc

Maybe we manage an offensive touchdown against Texas (something we havent done in the last 2 years), maybe the new OC sticks to whats been working instead of always trying to outsmart himself ect ect ect ect

BTW I'm not saying Watson needs to go. Last year, hell yeah I wanted that *****t gone. This year, if he's retained so be it. I think Nebraska football will be just fine without him. Ted Gilmore needs to go.

Don't forget, guys, this offense has been 2-3 years in the making, and this is our first true year of it. It would be ludicrous to expect there not to be bumps in the road.

Next year is absolutely make or break time for Watson. We've cycled out the last Bill Callahan class (as far as I can remember?), we've been recruiting the kids that are designed for the vision Bo and Watson have shared and slowly worked on since Bo got here, and we're entering into year two of exactly what we want our offense to be. Considering the VAST improvement of this year over last year, combine with all the aforementioned points, I see reason to be optimistic about next year, and I also see reason to think there will be no more excuses after next season.

I understand what you are saying and I respect your comments but 3 years of turning an offense around is enough time to do it IMO. I don't see "vast improvement" in the offense as you do. Martinez's running ability has disguised a lot of Watson's unability to coach an offense. Hell, look what Coach Paul Johnson did his first year running the option at Ga Tech. He led that team to a 9-4 record and they were 3rd overall in rushing that year. Mind you, these were players who weren't recruited to play in that style of offense but he made it work. The tripple option that Johnson runs is not an easy offense to learn. This is just one example of how inept I thik Watson is. Of course this just my opinion.

I understand what you are saying and I respect your comments but 3 years of turning an offense around is enough time to do it IMO. I don't see "vast improvement" in the offense as you do. Martinez's running ability has disguised a lot of Watson's unability to coach an offense. Hell, look what Coach Paul Johnson did his first year running the option at Ga Tech. He led that team to a 9-4 record and they were 3rd overall in rushing that year. Mind you, these were players who weren't recruited to play in that style of offense but he made it work. The tripple option that Johnson runs is not an easy offense to learn. This is just one example of how inept I thik Watson is. Of course this just my opinion.

I am thinking that 9-4 would not keep Watson's job or would not make fans happy. What was Ga Tech's record this year? To say that this offense is not vastly improved from last year is just a complete lie. It is progressing in the right direction. Fans need to support the coaches and be very happy with a 10-2 season with a Big 12 Championship shot and a possible BCS bowl game.

Had to run back to my computer quick cause I just thought to add this: why in the hell did Wats not have Burkhead throw last week. You know they've been practicin him throwing out of the rexcat all year. Why do you use it against CU, a game you are clearly going to win, but not agains aTm when your offense has turned anemic? Unbelievable. Did Wats call a good game yesterday? Absolutely. The problem is, where has this play calling been when his team needed it?

or at least save it for the CCG..........................

Exactly!