What we learned tonight

walksalone

1) I'm gonna scream at the TV every time I see an offensive play call I don't like, regardless of whether or not a "Wats is an offensive genius and has everything planned exactly as he wants it" argument exists (it doesn't).

2) I called for us to call some dang plays in any other formation besides the Shotgun Zone Read with Cody under center, and surprise surprise... it was mostly successful all night (esp. when the starters were still in).

3) Cody Green ain't a broke QB. He actually did a fine job playing in a traditional offense, under center, as opposed to that horizontal slip passing crap that Wats loves. I don't get it... for as long as he's been in the game, he still doesn't understand two fundamental, easy things:

1) If you try and throw that slip pass to the slot man (like a screen without the blocker), it runs a high chance of getting tackle fd for a loss, no gain, or only one or two yards, and that is a wasted play!

2) Being so dang predictable on first and second down hurts our offenses potential. You'd think with his experience he'd realize that a throw on first or second down to mix it up could help our team. Being totally vanilla, predictable, and calling the same handful of running plays does not do that. (although at least they work some of the time).

4) Cody actually took off his skirt today and ran the zone read like a man. Ran through arm tackles and threw his big frame around... finally. He looked like a deer galloping (very long strides) on that one scramble tonight.

5) That rumor about Zac Lee's labrum is obviously bull, which leads me to wonder why the coaches promoted Cody to 2nd string. Possibly to prep him for the future, since they knew Lee'd be gone next year? However I find it odd they'd risk losing games or even lose them (ISU, aTm) when they might've had a healthy Lee on the sidelines. Also, Rex should be in a competition with Cody for 2nd string QB.

All I got.

5) That rumor about Zac Lee's labrum is obviously bull, which leads me to wonder why the coaches promoted Cody to 2nd string. Possibly to prep him for the future, since they knew Lee'd be gone next year? However I find it odd they'd risk losing games or even lose them (ISU, aTm) when they might've had a healthy Lee on the sidelines. Also, Rex should be in a competition with Cody for 2nd string QB.

All I got.

maybe. his throws were a little ginger today, so he's obviously been hurt, and is still a little hurt

either way, I was happy to see him out there today

1) I'm gonna scream at the TV every time I see an offensive play call I don't like, regardless of whether or not a "Wats is an offensive genius and has everything planned exactly as he wants it" argument exists (it doesn't).

2) I called for us to call some dang plays in any other formation besides the Shotgun Zone Read with Cody under center, and surprise surprise... it was mostly successful all night (esp. when the starters were still in).

3) Cody Green ain't a broke QB. He actually did a fine job playing in a traditional offense, under center, as opposed to that horizontal slip passing crap that Wats loves. I don't get it... for as long as he's been in the game, he still doesn't understand two fundamental, easy things:

1) If you try and throw that slip pass to the slot man (like a screen without the blocker), it runs a high chance of getting tackle fd for a loss, no gain, or only one or two yards, and that is a wasted play!

2) Being so dang predictable on first and second down hurts our offenses potential. You'd think with his experience he'd realize that a throw on first or second down to mix it up could help our team. Being totally vanilla, predictable, and calling the same handful of running plays does not do that. (although at least they work some of the time).

4) Cody actually took off his skirt today and ran the zone read like a man. Ran through arm tackles and threw his big frame around... finally. He looked like a deer galloping (very long strides) on that one scramble tonight.

All I got.

1) I'm sure your TV doesn't care one way or the other.

2) Agree I'd like to see some 1st/2nd down passing.

3) ???

4) I think Cody Green has been a little beaten down by the way he's been used this year. Being stuck in when we're on the opposing 1 yard line (twice that I know of), being pulled in favor of a limping beat up Martinez, being pulled when anything slightly bad happens. No wonder he's had confidence issues. Just figure out what his game is and let him play within it. Don't force him to run the Martinez offense and he'll be fine.

5) Doesn't mean he didn't have different injury. Swollen hand was what I was hearing, And Rex is way more valuable as an RB than as a QB.

All I got.

1) I'm sure your TV doesn't care one way or the other.

2) Agree I'd like to see some 1st/2nd down passing.

3) ???

4) I think Cody Green has been a little beaten down by the way he's been used this year. Being stuck in when we're on the opposing 1 yard line (twice that I know of), being pulled in favor of a limping beat up Martinez, being pulled when anything slightly bad happens. No wonder he's had confidence issues. Just figure out what his game is and let him play within it. Don't force him to run the Martinez offense and he'll be fine.

5) Doesn't mean he didn't have different injury. Swollen hand was what I was hearing, And Rex is way more valuable as an RB than as a QB.

#5 was more of a joke than serious. Looked decent throwing though.

#4-- I also forgot to mention, aside from the fumble in the first quarter that was on Caputo, unless I missed one later on, Cody didn't butterfinger away the ball today. His fumbles are seriously the most frustratingly hilarious turnovers in college football today, for my money.

#3-- I was basically just trying to say I'm tired of Watson calling screen like passes to waiting receivers in the flats as opposed to shots down the field to moving receivers downfield. Downfield passing would help our offense... think of Curenski's near TD catch. We should air it out more like that. The sideline passes are asking a receiver who isn't moving, b/c he's waiting for the ball, to catch the pass, turn downfield, and accelearte, usually around a waiting defender, to gain yardage. That don't work real good.

Anybody else think so?

I think Zac wasn't fully recovered like Taylor getting reps in the KU game we needed Lee to see if he could get a little game time (plus it was senior night) for the CCG. Unless it was purely for senior night. Zac is too hurt to be of use next week so they let him get some final passes in. That's also possible I suppose.

We learned that Watson finally figured out how to call a game when Cody Green is under center. Get away from the zone read and use the power running game. Mix in some passes here and there to keep the D off balance and amazingly we win and win big. Helu and Rex are definitely talented enough to carry this team if the o-line is on the ball.

1) Rex Burkhead should have been throwing the ball last week to catch aTm off gaurd. Its sad and pathetic it took us till the last

regular season game to realize this. (by us i mean the coaching staff, i have been calling for it for a looooooonnnnnngggg time)

2) We are fine without Niles Paul dropping passes and fumbling kick offs when we have slower more sure handed fellas handling the ball especially with the defense we field.

3) Brandon Kinnie had his coming out party this season and will only continue to get better.

4) Shawn Watson finally learned what we all have known since CG has started playing more....he is not a shotgun zone read guy, he is a under center drop back passer with good mobility. (Now change the f'ing game plan to suit him when he comes in)

5) The Oline still struggles with stupid false starts even at home and Barney Cotton has to go. Gilmore too.

1. Ed Franklin and Ron Cunningham, however douchey they may be, are not anti-nebraska. They call it like they see it.

2. Cody is a capable quarterback.

p.s. - Zac is still far from healthy, but has gotten to the point where he can't further worsen whatever his real injury is.