New Offensive Coordinator? Who would it be?

ladyhawke

I haven't watched a ton of wisconsins games from start to finish, but a fair amount. I would be careful to say that wisconsins OC would be that much better. From what I have seen their o line coach deserves as much praise as anyone. Every year they have mammoth o linemen and they always have a great running game. They lose their leading rusher and just plug in two guys and keep on churning. Thats one of my main beefs with Wats is that he seems to have to have the perfect personnel to be able to succeed. As long as we have Ganz or a freakishly fast guy at QB his offense struggles beyond belief. Yesterday is the first game in a while that I can remember him not having Ganz/T Mart and actually performing-and it game against a team that won't make a bowl game. He doesn't put guys in the best position to succeed whatsoever. Last year we would run jailbreak screens to Holt (all the while we have Brooks, Mendoza, Gilleylan, Paul, Bell, Cooper all standing on the sidelines) and just yesterday he runs a stop route to Kinnie. I love Kinnie but speed is not his forte. If he does break a tackle what happens? He runs for about ten extra yards and gets tackled. If you look at any successful team they run short pass routes to guys that can break one tackle and go the distance. That's just one example of millions that make me want to get rid of wats.

I can’t believe people are suggesting names for an OC with little or no OC experience at the college level to compete in the Big 10, based solely on some past connection to the Huskers. Shoot, let’s just promote Lil’ Red for the position. At least he’s been on the sidelines a lot at games.

If we did hire someone——which is NOT going to happen this year——it would be someone with experience at the OC position. Probably someone who has worked with Bo in the past.

I would have to throw in the name Damon Benning. He coaches a high school team in Omaha that is if i'm not mistaken very competitive year in year out. I watch him talk a lot on Big Red wrapup and the man is very intelligent when it comes to scheming and quite frankly knows his sh#t.

check that record, I think its not very good!

If Shawn Watson were to get the boot who would you predict would take his place? My husband and I were wondering about that and he wondered how Scott Frost would do in that position. Scott is at Oregon right now. Would he be a valid candidate?

-ladyhawke~

Gary Crowton from LSU. He has an excellent track record, has worked with Bo before, and it's a well-known fact in Baton Rouge that he and Les Miles don't see eye-to-eye.

This is a ridiculous conversation. We have games to play yet this season. Watson is our guy. I think he prepared very well for yesterday's game and came up with a great game plan.

Against an atrocious D. Let's not play coy, kids: Against horrible defenses, Watson can be counted on to deliver a quality game plan about half the time. Against solid defenses, he'll do it one out of every ten tries. He is a HUGE factor holding this team back from being truly elite. As for his replacement . . .

Absolutely not Norm Chow. As someone else said, he is excellent at running a Pro-Style offense and not much else. Now that UCLA seems bent on running the Pistol offense, you'll notice that Norm is not worth much and their offense is one of the worst in the country.

I like the idea of bringing in some guys from LSU, but hasn't LSU had a relatively anemic offense this year? For awhile, they were ranked dead last in passing. Part of that can likely be explained by the quality SEC defenses they see, but goddamn they were awful for awhile.

The question is whether we want to continue down the track of running a spread offense. I think we would do well to keep going in that direction and not be afraid to mix in some I-Formation and when necessary. Being a run-first team makes the play-action pass very dangerous. Sprinkle in some Wildcat here and there and we'd be good to go.

I can’t believe people are suggesting names for an OC with little or no OC experience at the college level to compete in the Big 10, based solely on some past connection to the Huskers. Shoot, let’s just promote Lil’ Red for the position. At least he’s been on the sidelines a lot at games.

If we did hire someone——which is NOT going to happen this year——it would be someone with experience at the OC position. Probably someone who has worked with Bo in the past.

This guy was a guy that Bo wanted on his staff from day one but could not make enough room for him no pun intended.

I agree that Barney Cotton would be a horrible choice for Offensive Coordinator. I think he's lucky to be keeping his O-Line job. Scott Frost would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen. If we lose Watson, it sounds like the LSU connections would be the most plausible. Regardless of whether it's Cotton, Frost, Lil Red, or this guy--> :moreinteresting my trust is put in Pelini that he will select the best man (mascot) for the job and knows infinitely more about who is best candidate than I do.

• Fire 1